Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting for CHAdeMO Charging Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would buy a CCS adapter as the CHadeMO units always seemed to be out of service when we had our 2012 Nissan Leaf.
I actually disagree with this and I'm in the same region. Unless you're trying to use Blink CHAdeMO, the rest of them are pretty well maintained. I have yet to fail to get a charge at a EVgo or ChargePoint CHAdeMO location in Northern California. I also tried the new 100kW CHAdeMO chargers in Prunedale. There are 6 new chargers and they work very well. In any case, I'm sure Tesla will get the CHAdeMO adapter working with the 3 by Summertime. It is a must-have in order to sell an EV in Japan. However, it's unlikely to be any better than the existing 125 amp limited "50kW" unit that is already used with the S & X.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
I actually disagree with this and I'm in the same region. Unless you're trying to use Blink CHAdeMO, the rest of them are pretty well maintained.

I actually live in Sacramento and the CHAdeMO units I tried with the Nissan Leaf were made by EATON in Vacaville (out of order three times and one time it charged for 15 minutes and stopped due to an EATON system error. Called service number and no answer) and twice at SMUD (Sacramento Municipal Utility District). The one at SMUD had a CHAdeMO on one side and a CCS on the other. The couple times I went to SMUD, the CHAdeMO was out of service, but the CCS was still functional.

Our 2012 Nissan Leaf only had a real world range of 75 miles and we were attempting to drive to San Francisco. This was around 2013 or something like that. At that time, there were only 2 CHAdeMo stations around according to PlugShare - the EATON in Vacaville and Blink at the Hilton in Concord, CA. We stopped in Vacaville thinking we would be there for 30 minutes. The EATON was out of order and we had to use the J1772 to charge in order to get home. Since the Leaf only had a 3.3 kW onboard charger, we had to wait in Vacaville for 4 hrs. Good thing there was a Starbucks on the other side of the freeway we could walk to. Another time, we tried going to Napa and the EATON was again out of order in Vacaville. Each time, we did call the maintenance number that was taped to the side of the EATON EV Quick Charger. Again, we had to wait the 4 hrs at Starbucks in order to get home.

We actually attended the EATON CHAdeMO EV Quick Charger grand opening in Vacaville. It was a nice gathering with the mayor of Vacaville saying the unofficial name of the city was "Voltville". The unit was sponsored by Mitsubishi and there were multiple i-MiEV cars lined up to charge. There were a lot of Leafs and a few Tesla roadsters in attendance as well. A Mitsubishi VP spoke about how the i-MiEV electric cars would change the world.

I'm glad you've had success at using the CHAdeMo units. My personal experience with CHAdeMO has not been great, so we quit trying to take the Leaf to the bay area, and instead drove either the FitEV (no CHAdeMO, but had a 6.6 kW onboard charger) or our 2016 Volt. Eventually, the capacity loss of the Leaf made it just a neighborhood car with a range of about 40 miles on surface streets.

I actually live in Sacramento and the CHAdeMO units I tried with the Nissan Leaf were made by EATON in Vacaville (out of order three times and one time it charged for 15 minutes and stopped due to an EATON system error. Called service number and no answer) and twice at SMUD (Sacramento Municipal Utility District). The one at SMUD had a CHAdeMO on one side and a CCS on the other. The couple times I went to SMUD, the CHAdeMO was out of service, but the CCS was still functional.

Our 2012 Nissan Leaf only had a real world range of 75 miles and we were attempting to drive to San Francisco. This was around 2013 or something like that. At that time, there were only 2 CHAdeMo stations around according to PlugShare - the EATON in Vacaville and Blink at the Hilton in Concord, CA. We stopped in Vacaville thinking we would be there for 30 minutes. The EATON was out of order and we had to use the J1772 to charge in order to get home. Since the Leaf only had a 3.3 kW onboard charger, we had to wait in Vacaville for 4 hrs. Good thing there was a Starbucks on the other side of the freeway we could walk to. Another time, we tried going to Napa and the EATON was again out of order in Vacaville. Each time, we did call the maintenance number that was taped to the side of the EATON EV Quick Charger. Again, we had to wait the 4 hrs at Starbucks in order to get home.

We actually attended the EATON CHAdeMO EV Quick Charger grand opening in Vacaville. It was a nice gathering with the mayor of Vacaville saying the unofficial name of the city was "Voltville". The unit was sponsored by Mitsubishi and there were multiple i-MiEV cars lined up to charge. There were a lot of Leafs and a few Tesla roadsters in attendance as well. A Mitsubishi VP spoke about how the i-MiEV electric cars would change the world.

I'm glad you've had success at using the CHAdeMo units. My personal experience with CHAdeMO has not been great, so we quit trying to take the Leaf to the bay area, and instead drove either the FitEV (no CHAdeMO, but had a 6.6 kW onboard charger) or our 2016 Volt. Eventually, the capacity loss of the Leaf made it just a neighborhood car with a range of about 40 miles on surface streets.
Your experience related above is ancient history in the EV world. The situation today, or even the beginning of 2016 when I got the JdeMO installed on my RAV4 EV, is completely different than 2013. Every EVgo site now has at least two CHAdeMO chargers, so even if one is broken it is extremely unlikely that the other one is also broken. Eaton never got traction selling fast charging equipment to network operators, likely because of their reliability. SMUD also has weak maintenance policies and their equipment reliability (Efacec hardware) is clearly different than EVgo who operates the majority of the CHAdeMO & CCS infrastructure in Northern California. Most SMUD sites only have a single DC Fast charger, which could lead to people having to resort to L2 to continue their journeys. Today, it is pretty easy to use PlugShare to see which sites can be relied upon for travel beyond your EVs range. That is the main reason that I haven't had any problems. I simply avoid the chargers like Blink that are routinely broken down and overpriced.

Does anyone know if it's possible for a car supporting CCS to come with a CHAdeMO adapter, or vice versa? A quick search on Google shows it doesn't seem to practically exist. If our Model 3's were (potentially) built support CHAdeMO, do you think we'd be able to support CCS without a significant hardware change?

Does anyone know if it's possible for a car supporting CCS to come with a CHAdeMO adapter, or vice versa? A quick search on Google shows it doesn't seem to practically exist. If our Model 3's were (potentially) built support CHAdeMO, do you think we'd be able to support CCS without a significant hardware change?

The Model 3 charger even in the US can support CSS very easily since the European models come standard with CSS instead of the Tesla connector.

Reactions: halfricanguy
The big Sierra storm yesterday that caused many drivers to be stuck on I-80 reminded me that it would be great to have a CCS or Chademo adapter. Although I wasn't caught in it, I know that many drivers were stuck on the very cold road for several hours, while others had to take detours that took 10 or 12 hours. Between the Truckee/Tahoe area and the Sacramento Area on I-80 and US50, there are only CCS and Chademo available. Even with my stated 310 mile range, I can envision problems if I was stuck for several hours with the heater going. All this is my way of saying I hope that a CCO or Chademo adapter becomes available soon.

Québec got in bed with Nissan and CHAdeMO, and are now in a bad spot. The "Réseau Électrique" picked the wrong horse/fast-charge standard, and that makes me sad (am from Montréal). Should have gone with combo stations.
Some lobbyists scored big in Québec I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Circuit Électrique's stations have both CHAdeMO & CCS/SAE combo plugs:
borne-400v.jpg
400V%20-%201%20-%20Split.jpg

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW
Why did we not get yet a software update for CHAdeMO charging?

When I had a Model S, this was not an issue and I could charge with an adapter on all Level 3 charging station.

Now with my 3, not possible!!!
I asked the same question almost a year ago:

Tesla Model 3 Renter's Review - Jan 2018

My main gripe at that time, and which continues to this date, is the lack of compatibility with the Model 3 and the CHAdeMO adapter. Was told it would be an OTA update but crickets is all I hear. Mind you, I still have Level 2 chargers here at work and a new 24 Supercharger outlet about 2 miles from home. I am the type that will buy a $500 piece of equipment on the chance it will save my bacon some time in the future.

They have always said that but how do you know they don’t get a discount to deliver such high volumes of electricity?

You realize if a public company repeatedly makes a specific significant financial claim and it turns out not to be true that's a huge liability for the company civilly and potentially criminally, right?

And that Tesla publishes their income and expenses quarterly to the public right?

So what sense would your claim they're "lying" about it not being a profit center make?

Tesla said:
Tesla is committed to ensuring that Supercharger will never be a profit center.

(for that matter if they secretly were making profit- why wouldn't be be building MASSIVELY more of the things way faster? As it is they continually miss their targets for # of sites year after year....because it's a NOT a profit center- up to now it was a cost center... (Possibly with FUSC ending at least for the bulk of 3s they can start to approach breaking even on em)

I’m not insinuating that the company has lied in any way to the public. Profit centers are definitely not the case with Superchargers which I completely agree with you on. I was merely pointing out they may or may not have negotiated deals with local power companies to ensure they can operate with minimal losses.

As far as expansion happening tesla is finding out the hard way how challenging it is to work with property management companies and negotiating contracts that benefit all parties most of which is out of their control. For example: Fontana, Ca has been built since April and still not turned on.
Supercharger - Fontana, CA (construction in progress, 24 Urban type)

Thanks for all your reply.
I do have a CHAdeMO adapter from my previous S model and was hoping that my current Model 3 could use that adaptor for the Level 3 charging. Not yet the case.

In QUÉBEC our largest L2 and L3 network is subsidized by the Government and work very well and is by far larger than the Tesla Network. So when on the road, the further you go from high density area, the leads at Tesla charging station and more of the public ones.

So yes, if a CCS adaptor is available for the Model 3, it would be as good as the CHAdeMO and I would buy the adaptor.

Politics or not, damn shame that nobody told me this before I bought the 3..... might have stayed with the S a while longer.

Anyway, I still love the 3 and hope to get this issue resolve soon.

Thanks

Reactions: e-FTW and lukex4