Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure there will be attempts to pin the "explosions" on the Tesla pack but in this video the only explosions I see happen away from either half of the Model S

Stolen Tesla Crashes, Splits in Half in Fiery Multi-Car Wreck in West Hollywood | NBC Southern California

It is so laughable that a reporter in the NBC video says, "the driver had died but paramedics brought him back to life". What planet does he live on.

While the other reporter says that no one was killed.

Again. You can't win. Suggest a PIN and that angers some people as unneeded. Suggest Tesla add resources to deal with people forgetting their PIN and getting angry and some will say that is a waste of resources. Suggest a fee to offset costs to Tesla and other owners for this proposed optional service and that angers other people.

I think if you opt into a service where to agree to pay Tesla to unlock your car if you can't remember your own PIN would work fine.

This discussion should be broken out anyway to a new thread.
I haven't seen anyone angry on this topic, only disagreeing. Good discussion overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Would've thought the crack journalistic community in LA would have followed up. Like who is this idiot. And details about the theft. But I guess in Hollywood, keeping track and reporting on Lindsay Lohan is far more important.:confused:

Don't get too frustrated - that's just reporting on local industry news.

I'm sure there will be attempts to pin the "explosions" on the Tesla pack but in this video the only explosions I see happen away from either half of the Model S

Stolen Tesla Crashes, Splits in Half in Fiery Multi-Car Wreck in West Hollywood | NBC Southern California

JRP3
The video looks that way to me also.
However since the Tesla was cut in half wouldn't you expect some battery cells to come spilling out all around? Or is the battery pack constructed in a manner that would prevent that?

This really shouldn't be a big news story. Something like this should maybe make the local news. National news organizations have better things to do than report on yet another car crash. We don't get national news stories every time an M5 crashes. Or any other car, unless someone famous is in it.

A lot of dealerships DO have a key inventory system that dispenses the keys from a reinforced dispenser and keeps tracks of who checked them out, etc. It requires a pin and/or dealership fob to release a key for a specific vehicle. It's likely Tesla dealerships are too small to invest in such a system...

More to the point - how did they steal the car in the first place? Did they break in and steal a fob? Did they spoof the fob somehow? Is there something Tesla can do to prevent this sort of thing?

Initial police reports said they were alerted by someone at the service center of someone tampering with cars. So based on that, I would, guess an alarm went off when he broke in and than he found a FOB.
Don't you think tesla has security alarms cameras, etc... At each store and service center? I would think it is highly likely just as any business would.

I think the car they stole was one that was ready for delivery the next morning. When I picked up my car a few months ago, all the cars that were waiting for delivery had both keys on the dash. I'm willing to bet they broke into the delivery bay and figured out that if you push the handle the car would unlock. Since the fobs were in the car the handles would auto present when pressed (I know this because I forgot my fob in the car once). It probably took them a few more minutes to figure out how to "start" it.

Based on everything I've read I think that's what happened. The delivery bays for that SC are the first thing you see when you walk (or break in) from the street. Everything else is in the back and behind more doors, fences and garages. The delivery bay cars would be by far the easiest to steal. So I think that's what happened

I think the car they stole was one that was ready for delivery the next morning. When I picked up my car a few months ago, all the cars that were waiting for delivery had both keys on the dash. I'm willing to bet they broke into the delivery bay and figured out that if you push the handle the car would unlock. Since the fobs were in the car the handles would auto present when pressed (I know this because I forgot my fob in the car once). It probably took them a few more minutes to figure out how to "start" it.

Based on everything I've read I think that's what happened. The delivery bays for that SC are the first thing you see when you walk (or break in) from the street. Everything else is in the back and behind more doors, fences and garages. The delivery bay cars would be by far the easiest to steal. So I think that's what happened

someone needs needs firing, if that was the case... I highly doubt that they would be that dumb. Most likely those cars were all being delivered the same day you saw them. Those keys were hopefully brought out as part of the opening process.

as for the PIN topic, no 24/7 support would be necessary. You'd just have to sign in to mytesla or the app on your phone (with an additional entry of your standard password to keep others out).

the pin would need to be optional, but would cost nothing. It would alleviate a lot of concerns, and with it even being optional, it would dissuade thefts just because thieves wouldn't know if the PIN until they had already broken into the car.

about the crash... There are two fobs. Maybe the other was stolen from or provided by the owner.

Maybe be the rear seat caught the driver on he way into the synoguge wall when they were both detached from the front of the car.

Maybe the car was airborne when the splitting happened and that's how the rear and the driver went the same way.

this is the ultimate TMC thread: vehicle security, battery fire, impressive accident, feature requests, firmware updates, "dealership vs store merits", service center issues, driving techniques (for the police), vehicle safety debates, journalist integrity questions, random sightings (wedged in a synagogue), teslas on tv... Let's toss a couple of feel good tesla time stories and find out that this Model S belonged to a celebrity, and I think we hit them all!

ive been so busy that I have been taking a few days off from reading these threads... Then I catch back up.... I'd been so impressed by how little was happening between catch up sessions.... Not this time though. Dang!

Last edited:
Utah car crash kills 5 people and leaves 2 critically injured | Mail Online

Im just going to leave this here... I find it just dandy that they don't even bother to mention the makes/models of the two vehicles in this accident, and there were multiple fatalities (although at an equivalent of 160MPH I don't even know if I would expect someone in a Tesla to survive... yeesh!), but I point this out for the clear media bias toward Tesla, and also to yet again, show what happens when an ICE catches fire... the car becomes a total melted mess, to the point where I don't even know WHAT that car is anymore...

Just a correction here - two cars hitting each other head-on at 80 mph is equivalent to hitting a brick wall at 80 mph (assuming the wall does not move) - Newton's 3rd law of physics.

Bah, your right! I had even seen the Mythbusters episode where they basically proved Newton's Third Law and crashed a bunch of cars (it was awesome). So then, I would say that this is a very comparable accident and easily survivable in a Tesla, and since the Tesla weighs more than most cars, it's momentum would actually be greater and therefore less destructive on the Tesla (and more destructive on the poor car they run into), since it would likely push through the other car (even if just a little bit).

You know, that is probably why that other crazy accident with the Tesla vs an old Honda Accord ended so badly for the Accord (and its occupants) since the head on collision likely favored the heavier Tesla. (edit: I am referring to the accident that happened over a year ago in which the occupants of the Accord tragically died. It was a 90s something Accord and it was basically disintegrated)

Oh God! I wholeheartedly agree. Mods, please. Can we put this in a PIN only thread? I'm hoping to get updates about this incident and all I see are pages and pages of discussions about PINs

Mod Note: posts on additional anti-theft ideas (mainly PIN's went here - Additional-anti-theft-measures-(PINs-etc)

P.S. I know it's not perfect but I spent >20 minutes tracking down posts and trying to make judgments on relevancy; so no complaints pls.

Am I the only one that is confused on how the driver went through the windshield in an accident? Shouldn't the air bags have stopped him from going out the windshield. Or if the airbags didn't deploy, then why not? Not to mention that the driver wouldn't have gone through the windshield with an impact that splits the car in half, that would most likely be a side impact.

This car already had California plates on it... not sure if it was to be delivered

Last edited by a moderator: