Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop whining! Read this before another whine thread!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's unmet hype, on the other hand, is probably a bigger reason for the whining than the car itself. The over-promise, under-deliver really should just stop.

The hype will never stop. It's part of Elon Musk's personality and this is unlikely to ever change. People with outsized goals and incredible levels of ambition often underestimate the time and resources needed to accomplish their vision.

Hype is arguably necessary for high risk ventures. An ordinary level headed person would conclude that stuff like building cars and self-landing rockets is too risky and never try in the first place.

The hype will never stop. It's part of Elon Musk's personality and this is unlikely to ever change. People with outsized goals and incredible levels of ambition often underestimate the time and resources needed to accomplish their vision.

Hype is arguably necessary for high risk ventures. An ordinary level headed person would conclude that stuff like building cars and self-landing rockets is too risky and never try in the first place.

I don't mind the visionary stuff. That is easy to put into context and likely useful too.

I mind the FSD features definitely coming in six months stuff, the P85D 691 horsepower stuff, the spaceship controls stuff, the EAP being better than AP1 in December 2016... That's so unnecessary, annoying and at worst misleading...

Elon's unmet hype, on the other hand, is probably a bigger reason for the whining than the car itself. The over-promise, under-deliver really should just stop.
Elon delivered on exactly what he said. A $35k car that can do 215 miles.

The feels like a spaceship for the 1000th time was before EAP and FSD reveal and obviously referencing that as that was reveal 2.

All the extra hype that it had a HUD and was going to be fully loaded with AP for $35k was pure hype by US and NOT Elon.

Elon delivered on exactly what he said. A $35k car that can do 215 miles.

The feels like a spaceship for the 1000th time was before EAP and FSD reveal and obviously referencing that as that was reveal 2.

All the extra hype that it had a HUD and was going to be fully loaded with AP for $35k was pure hype by US and NOT Elon.

There are dozens of cases of over-promise and under-deliver by both Tesla and Elon. I will not try to repeat them all here, if you are unaware of them.

Reactions: gowthamn
There are dozens of cases of over-promise and under-deliver by both Tesla and Elon. I will not try to repeat them all here, if you are unaware of them.

If you won't name them I will.
  • AP1 can't do on-to-off-ramp
  • FSD will take much longer to differentiate from EAP
  • First silky wasn't too silky
  • MS 40 didn't stay too long
  • P85D hp mess
That's basically it. And I think that's ok. The fan hype was way worse. 300kW inverter, 250 mile base range, 60kWh base battery, 0-60 in 2 seconds. You can thank electrek, TM3 owners club and teslarati for their great reliable sources.

Actually that is whining. The Model 3 is a good car, stop telling people it could be way cheaper and better.

Some people were expecting a miracle vehicle and they didn't get it, so they whine. No reason to give them more incentive to whine, if they think in two years the Model 3 will magically transform into their miracle dream car.

Sure it will improve, but not a lot. And not suddenly after the reservations are done.

No this is not whine. I really think that the car is great as it is. But I also know for sure that when the 0.5 mil preorders are fulfilled and Tesla will actually have to start fight for customers, the options will get cheaper and the car will get better the same way the S and X did. They both get better (and cheaper for all the stuff ppl are getting) over time.

after thinking about it, I understand now - the Model 3 is just another toy for wealthy folks, just slightly more affordable than a Model S. Elon's concept of "mass market" is apparently the BMW and up crowd - not the actual mass market of Accord and Camry drivers.

I just don't see this vehicle as moving the needle much until used Model 3s hit the market in 3-4 years.

If you won't name them I will.
  • AP1 can't do on-to-off-ramp
  • FSD will take much longer to differentiate from EAP
  • First silky wasn't too silky
  • MS 40 didn't stay too long
  • P85D hp mess
That's basically it. And I think that's ok. The fan hype was way worse. 300kW inverter, 250 mile base range, 60kWh base battery, 0-60 in 2 seconds. You can thank electrek, TM3 owners club and teslarati for their great reliable sources.

I could list much more, but I'll spare you :)

at the price point of the 3, it could hardly be thought of as wealthy man's toy, <$50k for a car is more of a mid range price point.
jealousy is like a cancer, it forces you to expend so much energy and winds up eating away at you, sad!

More like > $50K for a desirable configuration.
Even then, the car is kind of toyish, with the Smart Phone Access & Tablet on the dash.

206er's point was that the car is not saving people money over other EV and efficient ICE options.
For instance the 2018 Camry gets 39mpg highway for <$25K and makes a great family/commuter car.

People who want to spend more than that, are people with disposable funds to spend on "Toys" [wealthy].
That extra $25K, for a M3, could go to plenty of other things.
M3 clearly is not for people on tight budgets.

OK, the Tax Credit alleviates some of that, but much of it is taken back by the extra sales tax and what people loose, by trading in their current car.
Plus, you need to have enough Taxable Income to take the full $7,500 Tax Credit.

Last edited:
after thinking about it, I understand now - the Model 3 is just another toy for wealthy folks, just slightly more affordable than a Model S. Elon's concept of "mass market" is apparently the BMW and up crowd - not the actual mass market of Accord and Camry drivers.

I just don't see this vehicle as moving the needle much until used Model 3s hit the market in 3-4 years.

Yea but just look at how many other makes are now getting into EVs. I am not sure why you expect Tesla should do everything themselves. They want to help transition the world to mass transport, not do it all by themselves. Hopefully we will get to 500k Teslas a year soon. But that's still a drop in the hot bucket heated up by 100 million petrol cars.

Very toyish in some respects. 2 taps on the screen to open the glove compartment, when a mechanical push would have done the trick. Even a motorized opening from a manual gesture would be simpler to program. Same for the multi-axis air vents controlled from the screen. I'll have crashed the car before I adjust the setting or was done playing with it. Is a manual adjuster on a vent toooooo much of a visual disturbance to the space ship?

No this is not whine. I really think that the car is great as it is. But I also know for sure that when the 0.5 mil preorders are fulfilled and Tesla will actually have to start fight for customers, the options will get cheaper and the car will get better the same way the S and X did. They both get better (and cheaper for all the stuff ppl are getting) over time.
This post proves you and I are definitely on the same page.

It may be some time before Tesla has to "fight for customers" because as Model 3s begin to populate the road and large numbers of people see them close up and ride in them, demand will increase. We really don't know when it will be necessary for them to stop anti-selling.

Tesla have over 0.5 MILLION reservations. Reservations are useless for Tesla now. They were cool at the beginning when Tesla needed investors to start building Gigafactory and expand Fermont. But now they are just useless burden. Tesla need to sell you S and X. This is obvious. They can therefore charge insane premiums for TM3. They do not need your reservation for TM3, they have more than enough for next 2 years! Once the 0.5 millions of TM3 are out there and demand has stabilised, Tesla will finally start to actually want to sell you the TM3, they will make it better, cheaper etc. But this will happen only after the early demand is gone, which will take time. So this is in short why Tesla does not want to show you all cool features of TM3, why they charge insane premiums on optional packages, why Elon said nothing about TM3 on yesterdays unveil. That is why they do not need give you HUD or Spaceship controls or tokens of appreciations for standing in line or promote TM3 in any way. TM3 has no competitor and Tesla knows that. They can do anything they want. And they are doing it well, they enjoy their huge lead in EV market which allows they to actually turn profitable on such amazing vehicle like TM3 is. Yes, you will pay a lot, you will wait a lot but there is no other option on market. Period. Get used to it, stop the whine!

This is why it's hard to buy a Telsa. Buy the model 3 and next day Elon will lower the price and include air suspension. Never know when it's the right time to jump in. I'm so glad I didn't buy a Tesla last summer and get stuck with AP1 but I'll have to pull the trigger soon before the $10K is phased out though.