Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch on again 10/1/2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the peninsula and its not on but I bumped my reserve to 90% as I saw the Flexalert plus high winds.

I have a feature request which is a weather smart reserve capability. I'd love to give a range of reserve say 40-80% for power outages. And if the weather was going to be bad or less sun coming the next day the system would keep more in reserve. I find I do a bunch of manual adjustments depending on whats going on in the local area. Most of the recent outages 15 hours over three days over labor day did not have the benefit of Stormwatch kicking in before hand.

The Red Flag area looks very localized to hill areas. We are in the area by 1/2 mile since we live at the foot of the hills. The remainder of the city of Pleasanton is outside. Here is the Red Flag map from NWS.

Red-flag-09-10-1.jpg

These storm watches are the only way I can charge from grid on a solar-connected system. I manually turn off storm watch at 7AM and stretch out my peak hours to include the shoulder hours to maximize cost savings. Turn storm watch back on before I go to bed.

I don't understand why you would risk having an outage when your PWs might be drained for a few extra dollars. I'm outside of the storm watch, but I switched to backup only because I don't trust PG&E infrastructure

Reactions: holeydonut
Looks like the entire Bay Area is getting power shut down tomorrow.

I think the murder hornets will invade on Monday.

Not really, narrower subset although from PG&E’s update video it looks like north of bay is all red flag territory, but not all potential shutdown areas. They have posted the counties/cities affected possibly by PSPS starting tomorrow, Sat. 25 -27. And you can input your address for more precise outage info.

Being valley located and not immediately near ranges we’re not on the list this morning but last night my husband noticed our system app indicated Storm Watch Active for the first time. Kind of strange since we’re not expected to be included in this round. We don’t have PTO yet but he did use the grid to charge our PWs during off-peak hours late last night so now at 98% should things change weather wise. Not expecting PTO until first week or two of November. Really hope we don’t see fires anywhere. I did notice the Creek Fire by Mammoth Lakes is still burning with lots of GPS indicators of fires in the area.

PGE Emergency Site - Psps Events

Not really, narrower subset although from PG&E’s update video it looks like north of bay is all red flag territory, but not all potential shutdown areas. They have posted the counties/cities affected possibly by PSPS starting tomorrow, Sat. 25 -27. And you can input your address for more precise outage info.

Being valley located and not immediately near ranges we’re not on the list this morning but last night my husband noticed our system app indicated Storm Watch Active for the first time. Kind of strange since we’re not expected to be included in this round. We don’t have PTO yet but he did use the grid to charge our PWs during off-peak hours late last night so now at 98% should things change weather wise. Not expecting PTO until first week or two of November. Really hope we don’t see fires anywhere. I did notice the Creek Fire by Mammoth Lakes is still burning with lots of GPS indicators of fires in the area.

StormWatch lines up with the Red Flag areas. These are much larger than the area that PG&E will turn off in a PSPS. But, since the high winds might take down power in an unpredictable manner they try to ensure you have your PowerWall charged just in case.

I usually manually toggle StormWatch off and on to ensure I am capturing as much as possible from solar, but still keeping the PWs near full.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset

And people wonder why the lead time on powerwalls is so long, and getting longer..... Tesla could likely sell every powerall they make into just northern california for the next 6 months.

Reactions: jboy210
Agreed. We are seriously considering adding a 3rd.

We upped ours to 3 while waiting for install figuring we would mostly want the extra hours of use during A/C weather timeframe and 2 wouldn’t cut it for our older 5 ton unit on whole house back up. We have a gas furnace so much less of draw during winter, although solar to replenish will be reduced. Right now we think 3 will be good for our use and will be interesting to see how it pans out during a year. Ours are stacked 2/1 so potentially could comfortably fit a 4th unit if need be.

We upped ours to 3 while waiting for install figuring we would mostly want the extra hours of use during A/C weather timeframe and 2 wouldn’t cut it for our older 5 ton unit on whole house back up. We have a gas furnace so much less of draw during winter, although solar to replenish will be reduced. Right now we think 3 will be good for our use and will be interesting to see how it pans out during a year. Ours are stacked 2/1 so potentially could comfortably fit a 4th unit if need be.
Nice. Had I know how much I would like them I would have ordered 3 to start.

However, there is this nagging voice in my head that says "wait for PowerWall V3". Elon did show something on his Battery Day chart so ...

Agreed. We are seriously considering adding a 3rd.
So are you attempting to go "off grid" year round?
What is your annual goal? To be off grid year round?

So are you attempting to go "off grid" year round?
Not trying to be off-grid all year.

We see a large drop off due to shading in fall. In October we are getting around 15% of what we were in June. Unfortunately, Fall is when we are most likely to have extended PSPS/fire caused loss of the grid power. The goal would be able to bank enough power for multi-day PSPS/fire shut-offs. We had 4 days of outages in 2 incidents in Fall 2019. And since we work from home doing software we can justify the costs of PowerWalls to maintain productivity and billings.

In summer we would be able to fill 3 Powerwalls easily in a day and still send a substantial amount back to the grid.

Last edited: