Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped down P over fully-loaded AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably because less weight is also good for handling. Straight line performance isn't everything.

But AWD is also good for handling.

Probably more so than adding like 3% to the weight of the car is bad for it.

Especially in a faster car, and especially if you swap better tires on.

From my experience at least right around 4.5-5 seconds 0-60 or quicker is usually the power level where AWD starts to help significantly when accelerating NOT in a straight line for example

It's also better for regen braking on an electric car- one criticism I've seen of the RWD 3 was weak regen braking compared to the S, this should fix that.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
...why?

Obviously the quicker acceleration demonstrates the second motor more than offsets its own weight performance-wise, and especially once you slap worthwhile tires on the car it'll be putting down enough power for the AWD to be extra useful.
Because I prioritize stuff like how the car feels (body roll etc) over acceleration. It’s more a matter of personal preferences. Also I am not sure half a sec makes a noticeable difference, but 200 lbs does

Because I prioritize stuff like how the car feels (body roll etc) over acceleration. It’s more a matter of personal preferences. Also I am not sure half a sec makes a noticeable difference, but 200 lbs does
There is "I like this" and then there are more benefits. On a perfect dry, clear track RWD is fine. As soon as conditions deteriorate from that the math changes substantially as oversteer quickly becomes a liability. 200lb, slung low, on a 3800lb vehicle with plenty of extra power to move it the AWD is going to do just fine.

AWD will certainly be a heavier car. No doubt that its portly for a mid-sized sedan, but if you have not a Tesla before, you will be surprised at how little body roll there is due to the majority of the weight being at the height of the axle, regardless of AWD or RWD.

The RWD is fast and fun in the twisties, and this is coming from someone that daily's a 500+WHP BMW 135i. You can feel the weight of the vehicle, but body roll is minimum, even with as high as the car sits from the factory. there's always room for improvement on a stock suspension setup too.

The nearest to a "direct" comparison I can cite is a Lexus IS350 (rwd, about 315 hp as driven) and an Audi S4 (AWD, about 333 hp as driven)- and in NON straight line driving the AWD definitely felt better and I didn't have to worry about the traction nannies pulling any power away when accelerating in a curve compared to the RWD car... the difference wasn't massive, but it was definitely noticeable... and both of those cars were a little slower and less powerful than the AWD Model 3...

The model 3 doesn't even have physical fuses.

The motors and inverters are literally exactly the same part between AWD and P direct from the mouth of Elon Musk, just lot sorted among each batch.

Every single thing Tesla has stated supports the position there is no hardware difference between the AWD and the P power-wise (there's a difference in brakes- though it's unclear if that's only by spending another 5k on the P "performance" pack)

I realize folks want to find ways to justify spending 11k for what is from all actual evidence just a software unlock, but it's not like Tesla doesn't have a long established history of doing that as you yourself mention.... and wiring is a lot cheaper than larger batteries or FSD hardware that they put in every car you listed "for free".... especially when it greatly simplifies manufacturing to not have multiple different wiring harnesses, and greatly simplifies repairs not having extra streams of different parts in the supply chain.

Musk just tweeted the p has lowered suspension. So much for a pure software unlock / physically identical car theory. Maybe there is more?

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Musk just tweeted the p has lowered suspension. So much for a pure software unlock / physically identical car theory. Maybe there is more?
The brake disks (maybe). But neither of those are really involved in making the car "go faster"....and lowered suspension is likely a rather minor adjustment. Knightshade's comment seems to be rooted in "what do I get for $11K?" The truth is that it is something far more conceptual than physical parts that ship with the vehicle. Understanding and accepting the value of conceptual things can be difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Engnr
The way the quote was phrased to me seemed like all P models would have 1 cm lower suspension, but only $5k package would have "stronger" brakes.

Not how I read it-

Elon Musk said:
Performance version suspension is 1cm lower & has stronger brakes in upgrade package

So both come "in upgrade package" for 5k more (which makes the 5k package a less crappy buy at least) , not the base 11k more P model.

(1 cm is only 0.39 inches FWIW, so maybe in some way tied to the changes they make for the 20s?)

The original @tesla tweet confirms it's the same type of coil suspension as other cars though- so the folks who were hoping they'd secretly have magnetic shocks or SAS show up in the package can stop hoping I suppose...

Last edited:
So both come "in upgrade package" for 5k more , not the base 11k more P model.

(1 cm is only 0.39 inches FWIW, so maybe in some way tied to the changes they make for the 20s?)

The original @tesla tweet confirms it's the same type of coil suspension as other cars though- so the folks who were hoping they'd secretly have magnetic shocks or SAS show up in the package can stop hoping I suppose...

I've interpreted the tweet the same way in "correcting" the original Tesla twitter account comment on how all three variations use the same base coil suspension. I don't see confirmation either way whether the P models have any other minor tweaks however.

Not how I read it-

So both come "in upgrade package" for 5k more (which makes the 5k package a less crappy buy at least) , not the base 11k more P model.

Yeah re-reading it seems like you are more likely right.

https://i.imgur.com/Psoh4Bd.jpg
Psoh4Bd.jpg

wow it looks good

From a performance perspective .....Mmmm 1 full second to 60 mph is significant ...4 seconds AWD to @3 seconds P version, is more realistic. The Long range was rate to 5.1 seconds, and drag times recorded 4.6 consistently to 60 mph. Comparatively, it’s like going from my Daytona 392 495hp ...to a hellcat at 707 hp