Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped down P over fully-loaded AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hahahaha! Yes. Exactly!

Our rational side vs. our emotional side.

I'm trying to find a way to rationalize a way to change my order to a P.

But I know when I rationalize too much, all I get are rational lies!

Get the P easy decision ..since u are on the fence you can always add the software functions later ..EAP FSD the cams come with car regardless ..get aftermarket wheels...the P motors and whatever software tweak they do you can’t buy later​

• Helpful
Reactions: xyeahtony and Sg911
Get the P easy decision ..since u are on the fence you can always add the software functions later ..EAP FSD the cams come with car regardless ..get aftermarket wheels...the P motors and whatever software tweak they do you can’t buy later​

The P comes with the same motors the AWD does... they lot sort from the same parts bin, so unless Tesla MFG has incredibly wide parts tolerances it's pretty much just a software difference.... though it's entirely possible that SW is never offered to AWD owners in the future as a for-money upgrade, and if it is it's almost certain to be more than if you'd gotten it from the factory... (then again same is true if you add EAP and FSD after delivery- extra $3000 cost doing that)

Reactions: Sg911
The P comes with the same motors the AWD does... they lot sort from the same parts bin, ,
...correct that was my point you won’t be able to buy the lot sorted motors or s/w later ......that’s why it’s best to get the P if on fence ...

Do you just pay Tesla with a debit/credit card when you wish the EAP unlock?
yes you can pay that way thru your account

• Informative
Reactions: outie and xyeahtony
What is the warranty on all Model 3's ?
General warranty: 4 year (maximum 50,000 mile)

Powertrain/battery warranty: 8 year (max 100,000 mi for short range pack/ 120,000 mi for the long range pack)

Both batteries pack sizes are guaranteed minimum 70% of battery capacity retained....which isn't all that good in context that given Tesla's battery history it's quite likely that most batteries won't drop below about 90% in that time frame.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
...correct that was my point you won’t be able to buy the lot sorted motors or s/w later ......that’s why it’s best to get the P if on fence ...

yes you can pay that way thru your account
Too many people speculate/think/assume Tesla might release a software to make it a P. The fact is only wheels/spoiler/brake are something you can get down the road with 101% certainty. Don’t bet or count on the software, let alone the lot sorted motor.

For me, I skipped EAP altogether unlike most people. I already have a X w/ EAP for the family and obviously for longer trips. I am only getting the Model 3P w/ PuP to fulfill my soccer dad duty.

I can just add EAP/FSD later if I wanted to. I know for certain that there is a confirmed upgrade path for it. The Performance “SW”? Not so much.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Yeah I've been wrestling with this too. I keep looking at my loaded awd config and thinking "for a little more I could have a base performance" but it's really hard to mentally justify it when all you're getting for your 11k is faster delivery and better quality control on your motors. To me it seems like you're really spending 11k on an awd with a software performance limiter removed, which to me is just frustrating.
If they offered other mechanical differences/improvements it would be easier to justify.
I can see how the performance models are much higher margin for them. Costs them nothing to flip a software switch (that 11k is pure profit) but it makes me feel more like a sucker for paying it.

This is a narrative that's been playing recently on many threads. I don't believe however the folks thinking this way have engineering backgrounds. At least ee and me. If you believe the online calculators to propel a ~4000 lbs car 0-60 in 3.5 seconds you need over 700 hp. Going to let that sink in for a little as you think of other cars with 700 hp... Ok. Now lets talk about getting that power to the ground. The amps and thereby the cables alone are going to have to be thicker. The power electronics to generate the hp and torque needed have to be beefed up. The motor itself has to be able to take the energy dumped into it and not split in half. The S "p" models have special fuses to handle the large current. The rear motor is also bigger I believe.

If you think this is doable simply via software unlock I think you are fooling yourself. The physics of putting 700hp / 500 kw to the ground require otherwise.

Now the argument can be made that all awds come with all the upgraded electronics and mechanical parts. Tesla has done this before after all. Eg. Fsd hardware in all cars. Or 75kwh battery in s60 cars. Could be wrong here of course but I am doubtful they will eat that cost in every awd car hoping people will pay $11k so they can recoup their money down the road.

This is a narrative that's been playing recently on many threads. I don't believe however the folks thinking this way have engineering backgrounds. At least ee and me. If you believe the online calculators to propel a ~4000 lbs car 0-60 in 3.5 seconds you need over 700 hp. Going to let that sink in for a little as you think of other cars with 700 hp... Ok. Now lets talk about getting that power to the ground. The amps and thereby the cables alone are going to have to be thicker. The power electronics to generate the hp and torque needed have to be beefed up. The motor itself has to be able to take the energy dumped into it and not split in half. The S "p" models have special fuses to handle the large current. The rear motor is also bigger I believe.

If you think this is doable simply via software unlock I think you are fooling yourself. The physics of putting 700hp / 500 kw to the ground require otherwise.

Now the argument can be made that all awds come with all the upgraded electronics and mechanical parts. Tesla has done this before after all. Eg. Fsd hardware in all cars. Or 75kwh battery in s60 cars. Could be wrong here of course but I am doubtful they will eat that cost in every awd car hoping people will pay $11k so they can recoup their money down the road.

The model 3 doesn't even have physical fuses.

The motors and inverters are literally exactly the same part between AWD and P direct from the mouth of Elon Musk, just lot sorted among each batch.

Every single thing Tesla has stated supports the position there is no hardware difference between the AWD and the P power-wise (there's a difference in brakes- though it's unclear if that's only by spending another 5k on the P "performance" pack)

I realize folks want to find ways to justify spending 11k for what is from all actual evidence just a software unlock, but it's not like Tesla doesn't have a long established history of doing that as you yourself mention.... and wiring is a lot cheaper than larger batteries or FSD hardware that they put in every car you listed "for free".... especially when it greatly simplifies manufacturing to not have multiple different wiring harnesses, and greatly simplifies repairs not having extra streams of different parts in the supply chain.

General warranty: 4 year (maximum 50,000 mile)

Powertrain/battery warranty: 8 year (max 100,000 mi for short range pack/ 120,000 mi for the long range pack)

Both batteries pack sizes are guaranteed minimum 70% of battery capacity retained....which isn't all that good in context that given Tesla's battery history it's quite likely that most batteries won't drop below about 90% in that time frame.

I suspect by then there will be 3rd party battery repair services available. They have that with the Prius now and that had a much smaller production run.

If you believe the online calculators to propel a ~4000 lbs car 0-60 in 3.5 seconds you need over 700 hp.
You've been looking at the wrong calculators if that's what they've been telling you. You only need ~450 hp to hit 3.5s 0-60 with a 4,000 lb. AWD direct-drive car. I imagine the P will have a bit more than that since Elon has said they can probably make it faster later.

So I got a fully-loaded AWD with upgraded tires, EAP, and FSD with delivery date Sept-Nov.

That comes out to $63,500.

I am debating about changing my order to AWD P, white interior, without the performance package and just EAP without FSD. That comes out to $71,500.

With that, I may be able to get delivery in August. And with it, a possibility I'll get the full tax credit and not half with the AWD. But I know none of us are really sure about when the 200k mark was passed just yet.

Are any of you guys thinking of these two options?

I'm so annoyed that the AWP P only offers the nasty aeros and the $5k performance package with 20" wheels. I wish they offered just the 19"s. But I'm thinking I can get a new set $2-3k and either use the Aeros for long trips or just sell them.
I think you just coppied my post from last week :p

I went with the AWD loaded @64k (I got white but could have gone silver).
If I spend that much money I don't want to have to upgrade the wheels or add AP and FSD. Still wonder if I made the right decision as I wanted the white interior. If it's just the wheels holding you back I would go for it with aeros, but I figured I would really question myself not getting EAP later or paying an extra $1000 for it. Full tax credit should be good through end of December assuming tesla didn't hit 200k last month.

Tax credit, Roll dice on awd, go performance?

I'll that said I usually go for getting things that cannot be updated later (P model and white interior), but I knew that if I went that route, I would not ever get EAP + FSD (that's 10k to put into the car after you own it)