Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped down P over fully-loaded AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For performance only reference~ I priced a 2019 BMW M5 AWD at $123,000 with about 1/2 the options ...it weighs 220lbs more @4290 lbs than the Model 3P/awd , has 600 hp, and does 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. Germans also underrate their car’s Power levels. So this where I see the Model 3P levels.

https://i.imgur.com/Psoh4Bd.jpg
Psoh4Bd.jpg

wow it looks good

@juanmedina,

This Made My Day!!!!!! Those calipers are “Yuuuuge’!!!
:D

Ski

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Same. Have an AWD order in. Heavily debated getting the P but for the price I couldn’t justify it due to lack of details. Still mulling it around - if only something was revealed that would push me over the edge...

If BMW told you a 600 HP 4290 Lbs car does 0-60 in < 3 seconds, THEY LIED : 0-60 mph Calculator for Cars | Calculate Estimated 0-60 Times

Look, there are a billion gas-guzzling midsized cars that go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and people will continue to think that electric cars are inferior because they are always slow crippled eco-cars. So buy a model 3P which is unparalleled in such a small car, and take EVERYBODY you can for a 0-60 pull in 3.5 seconds, and say, "Look, this car is the future. If you buy another ICE car you'll eat my dust!" That's exactly what I'm going to do! If you buy a Model 3 AWD, or RWD, you'll have an eco-car. If you buy a Model 3P, *you* will *become* a *messiah*!

Last edited:
If BMW told you a 600 HP 4290 Lbs car does 0-60 in < 3 seconds, THEY LIED : 0-60 mph Calculator for Cars | Calculate Estimated 0-60 Times

Look, there are a billion gas-guzzling midsized cars that go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and people will continue to think that electric cars are inferior because they are always slow crippled eco-cars. So buy a model 3P which is unparalleled in such a small car, and take EVERYBODY you can for a 0-60 pull in 3.5 seconds, and say, "Look, this car is the future. If you buy another ICE car you'll eat my dust!" That's exactly what I'm going to do! If you buy a Model 3 AWD, or RWD, you'll have an eco-car. If you buy a Model 3P, *you* will *become* a *messiah*!

The future is EAP and FSD, there's plenty of gas cars that can do do 0-60 in 3.5.

Reactions: swhang

Many independent sources have confirmed BMW m5 is a sub 3 second car but anyhow Model3P ALL da E way...

that calculator is.... hilariously poor.

Look, there are a billion gas-guzzling midsized cars that go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds

I mean, not really... that's still reasonably quick compared to the average mid-size today. And under $75,000 or so the list of midsized sedans that quick is pretty short (especially if you assume that, like the RWD 5.1 number, that 4.5 is sandbagging by at least a couple tenths)

I’m still wrestling with this. I’m sitting on a fully loaded AWD config right now and still thinking hard about switching to a base P with custom color (I like the silver, I know it’s not popular, fight me) for basically the same price. I can always add EAP + FSD and rims later is what I keep thinking.

It’s funny when i look up 0-60 times for other cars I had been interested in like the golf R or the Subaru STI. The 4.5 seconds quoted for the AWD equals or exceeds those, but I can’t shake thinking how fun it would be to get to briefly experience that kind of 3.5s acceleration on freeway on ramps on my daily commute commute (before then sitting in soul crushing traffic that is)

Given the 2-4 month estimate for a P at this point, I’m thinking if I’m going to change anything, it needs to be next week if I want the full tax credit.

I have a performance test drive scheduled for Tuesday so hopefully that will give me some clarity.

Have other people been struggling with this like I have ( first world problems I know)?
Curious to hear other people’s rationales for going one way or the other.

I've been all over the map.

Buyout my P90DL lease....but @ 91k I'm sort of over that.

then....

M3 AWD: "good enough"....this was easy when the P was 78k+5k for EAP...no way I"m doing a model 3 @ 83k....

but then full tax credit confirmed, price drop, and it's 71.5 before the credit and I don't have to buy the overpriced heavy rims or brakes i don't need...hrm... so then definitely P3...

but then....seems like the P3 is not underrated like other Teslas and it is actually 3.5s to 60....Model S 100D is probably sub 4s in real world, and a showroom model would be $95ish or a slightly slower S75D would be high 80s....

so yeah. I'm all over the map. 60k awd M3 to 95k S100D.

Right now if I do nothing they'll deliver me a P3, so that's probably where I will end up simply by way of indecisiveness and inertia.

The struggle is real! I struggle with whether or not the performance upgrade is worth it. For me, it's either EAP or performance upgrade. My commute wouldn't benefit much from EAP, so I'm leaning heavily towards the performance upgrade. I just feel like Tesla hasn't given full disclosure regarding the performance upgrade package.
Have you decided yet? To me you can add EAP later down the road with a press of a button and a credit card #. Not as simple for the performance upgrades package.

I've been all over the map.

Buyout my P90DL lease....but @ 91k I'm sort of over that.

then....

M3 AWD: "good enough"....this was easy when the P was 78k+5k for EAP...no way I"m doing a model 3 @ 83k....

but then full tax credit confirmed, price drop, and it's 71.5 before the credit and I don't have to buy the overpriced heavy rims or brakes i don't need...hrm... so then definitely P3...

but then....seems like the P3 is not underrated like other Teslas and it is actually 3.5s to 60....Model S 100D is probably sub 4s in real world, and a showroom model would be $95ish or a slightly slower S75D would be high 80s....

so yeah. I'm all over the map. 60k awd M3 to 95k S100D.

Right now if I do nothing they'll deliver me a P3, so that's probably where I will end up simply by way of indecisiveness and inertia.

Be careful on the indecisiveness and inertia front. Based on everything I'd been told, I still had another couple of months to wait.

Then, a week ago Thursday, I got the invite to pick up my P3 two days later. That (fast) bird in the hand was hard to turn down ... especially after taking a P3 test drive the day before delivery.

So, make the explicit decision quickly ... or find yourself "forced" into "suffering" with a P3!

I'm in a similar boat. Debating the P but responsible me battled YOLO, and the former won. AWD ordered in late June. Figured I could see what the reviews were w/r/t the P and standard AWD and maybe test drive both. Then I get a call last Friday they want to deliver my AWD in 7-10 days. No chance to test drive AWD and compare to the P.

Interia and indecisiveness will get me AWD. Still have an urge to YOLO on Monday, however!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
If you’re planning on keeping car a long time I would go P. I wrestled with the exact same decision. Can add wheels and EAP later. I went from 61.5k build to base P 65.5k build. Not a big fan of Aeros but I think they look ok without covers (just not a fan of smaller size). I don’t really like the bright color of the 19’s or 20’s either. The frugal part of me still says is 1sec 0-60 worth the extra money but 1sec is significant in real life. You will notice the difference and would regret skipping it on P if you ever tried one later.

Reactions: Sg911
I’m still wrestling with this. I’m sitting on a fully loaded AWD config right now and still thinking hard about switching to a base P with custom color (I like the silver, I know it’s not popular, fight me) for basically the same price. I can always add EAP + FSD and rims later is what I keep thinking.

It’s funny when i look up 0-60 times for other cars I had been interested in like the golf R or the Subaru STI. The 4.5 seconds quoted for the AWD equals or exceeds those, but I can’t shake thinking how fun it would be to get to briefly experience that kind of 3.5s acceleration on freeway on ramps on my daily commute commute (before then sitting in soul crushing traffic that is)

Given the 2-4 month estimate for a P at this point, I’m thinking if I’m going to change anything, it needs to be next week if I want the full tax credit.

I have a performance test drive scheduled for Tuesday so hopefully that will give me some clarity.

Have other people been struggling with this like I have ( first world problems I know)?
Curious to hear other people’s rationales for going one way or the other.

FWIW I've had cars comparable in speed to every version of the 3.

In a few decades of driving, outside of a track, the # of times the difference between 3.5 and 4.5 mattered in a given year I could count on one hand and probably have fingers left over... (needing to merge past, or have stoplight fun, with a car faster than 4.5 but slower than 3.5).

$11,000 didn't seem worth it for a difference that matters that rarely.... especially since moving 2 years ago about 90% of my drive to/from work is either on a single highway, or roads without stoplights. EAP will be amazing and used constantly. 1 second quicker 0-60, not so much.

I'm also kinda hoping that like previous Teslas the P 0-60 is with roll out and the others are not, meaning the difference real-world is less than 1 second, but I'll be fine if that's not the case.

And I expect both will get at least a small uncorking later as more competitors enter the market, but again fine if they don't.

YMMV of course if you plan to track the car, or if you're constantly pulling up next to guys in Ferraris telling you they cost more than you can afford, kid.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
FWIW I've had cars comparable in speed to every version of the 3.

In a few decades of driving, outside of a track, the # of times the difference between 3.5 and 4.5 mattered in a given year I could count on one hand and probably have fingers left over... (needing to merge past, or have stoplight fun, with a car faster than 4.5 but slower than 3.5).

$11,000 didn't seem worth it for a difference that matters that rarely.... especially since moving 2 years ago about 90% of my drive to/from work is either on a single highway, or roads without stoplights. EAP will be amazing and used constantly. 1 second quicker 0-60, not so much.

I'm also kinda hoping that like previous Teslas the P 0-60 is with roll out and the others are not, meaning the difference real-world is less than 1 second, but I'll be fine if that's not the case.

And I expect both will get at least a small uncorking later as more competitors enter the market, but again fine if they don't.

YMMV of course if you plan to track the car, or if you're constantly pulling up next to guys in Ferraris telling you they cost more than you can afford, kid.
I agree with you I think it’s ulitity vs fun/bragging rights. No one needs 0-60 of 3.5 or 4.5. I think real world driving the RWD is more than sufficient. Everyone is spending a good amount of their hard earned money on these cars. Ultimately that is the bottom line, it’s your money, others opinions can be helpful but don’t matter in the end. Spend your money on what will make you happy within your limits.

Another issue with opinions is everyone is coming from a different background with different goals in mind. For example, I daily a supercrew F150. Love it, best vehicle I’ve ever owned. So I want a fun sporty car that I can fit 2 car seats, gets better gas mileage than my truck, and most importantly I can have fun in. It will not be my only vehicle so giving my opinion to someone who ya purchasing one as their only vehicle is somewhat irrelevant.

The device he used to time the runs has the option of results with or without rollout- didn't see him ever mention which he used.

Disclaimer: I do not own and have not used a Dragy.

Trying to google this, the only posts I can find indicate that Dragy will report results with or without 1 ft rollout for 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 mile, etc, but does not include rollout in the 0-60 and 0-100mph times.