Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even with the new version, my 90% charge continues to be 232-235 miles (out of about 270) and I'll charge to 80-90% on a weekly basis. So I don't believe that it was solely the SW update, but something else - something else that is localized to the specific cars.

So there may be a percentage, and apparently a small percentage, of vehicles affected. What other issues do those vehicles have - that other vehicles using the same SW version do not?

Battery version? Launches? Drained to 1-2% and charged to 100% on a recurring basis?
THAT is the million dollar question!
I am affected and have communicated with several other affected owners and unaffected owners.
I can find no obvious correlation between us.
I have looked at weather, battery version, charging patterns, discharging patterns, vehicle mileage, driving style.
Nothing lines up.

It does seem to affect a very few number of cars. I estimate from as few as 100 to a few thousand world wide.

I'm impacted by 30 miles.

So I don't believe that it was solely the SW update, but something else - something else that is localized to the specific cars.

It was the SW update (2019.16.x) and have impacted specific cars, yours excluded it seems.

So there may be a percentage, and apparently a small percentage, of vehicles affected.

That's what Tesla has said, but no one know what that means in quantity.

What other issues do those vehicles have - that other vehicles using the same SW version do not?

Battery version? Launches? Drained to 1-2% and charged to 100% on a recurring basis?

Battery version? Mine is 1014114-00-F
Launches? I do not do launches (it's not good for your DU)
Drained to 1-2% and charged to 100% on a recurring basis? Never done that

On Edit: Like @DJRas said, there is no obvious correlation between the affected and unaffected cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and DJRas
... still waiting to hear from some folks at Tesla on this range loss issue again. They've seemed to be on the right track for a bit, but have since gone somewhat silent. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback. Since you know what the X and Z conditions are and how complex they might be to address, what would be your expert opinion on the estimated ETA for the next SW fix?

Thanks.

Reactions: DJRas and PaulusdB
I'm impacted by 30 miles.

It was the SW update (2019.16.x) and have impacted specific cars, yours excluded it seems.

That's what Tesla has said, but no one know what that means in quantity.

Battery version? Mine is 1014114-00-F
Launches? I do not do launches (it's not good for your DU)
Drained to 1-2% and charged to 100% on a recurring basis? Never done that

On Edit: Like @DJRas said, there is no obvious correlation between the affected and unaffected cars.

What is "DU" ?

What year? Is it a P90D or just a 90D? 20 or 22" wheels?
Here is a range table for all models and trims :)
Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

I never considered that the rims could make a difference in battery usage.

If I posted a photo of my p100d (it is a p1d right?)... would you be able to tell me what rims I have?

And do the larger rims cause more battery usage?

I believe I have the largest rims.

I actually don't know much about my vehicle at all. I purchased it even without knowing what a p100d is, and never test drove a Tesla.

I think it's a 2019 p100d. The paperwork shows a new car purchase, but it came with around 650 miles already on it, I think. I'll check.

Right now I'm driving a 75D ... I think. I've taken photos of that too. But I won't have the 75D long, I think.

Just... I need a lot of help and I have a lot of questions! lol

I purchased the p1d without knowing what it was, without seeing one, without test driving any tesla (including the p1d). I have so many questions. It's like getting a car in your driveway and you don't really know what it is or what it does.

Anything you can tell me about my p is appreciated. Some people said I have the p100dL. But I read that DL is the same as D.

I think mine was made prior to April this year.

I don't know if this helps identify my rims to the P. The question came up because another post implied / indicated that rims could affect battery usage - and I wanted to learn how.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190723_145603.jpg
    20190723_145603.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 58
Anyone that has been affected and rarely DC charge?
I have seen people post that they have been affected and rarely supercharge, but do they DC charge with chademo instead?
That describes me. Probably 80-85% of my Charging is by CHAdeMO, getting about 38-39kW rather than 90-100kW on a Supercharger. My battery has been affected and has lost a quick 10kWhs, down from 68.5kWh to a steady 58kWh.

I have been affected by the software update as well. I had less than 5% degradation on my P85 until they pushed the update. Now I only get 223 rated miles at 100% charge (only charged to 100% to test). My local SC said they are "limiting older cars to protect the battery". This is total BS. I now have to charge my car to a higher SoC in order to support my daily driving and can no longer consider the car for road trips (would add 1 more SC stop on a trip to Mammoth). I am not happy about this at all.

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke