Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your car is connected to your home wifi, do you have any capability to monitor your car's download/upload traffic during that time?
The WiFi Reception from the garage is poor. And I don’t use any 3rd party apps. I’m losing too much to Dracula as it is! And I have stopped downloading any updates, (I wonder why). So maybe I have lots of new maps, or that Tesla is doing something else to my car. My money is on.........

The WiFi Reception from the garage is poor. And I don’t use any 3rd party apps. I’m losing too much to Dracula as it is! And I have stopped downloading any updates, (I wonder why). So maybe I have lots of new maps, or that Tesla is doing something else to my car. My money is on.........

I monitor the car's internet traffic through my router which has traffic monitor feature for all connected devices.

Did not know your car was garaged but unplugged.

Since my new 100% is my old 85% I SHOULD never see the charge current drop. My batteries NEVER get above 4.1 volts.
But that speaks to the whole point of this update: they are severely throttling current ("Out of an abundance of caution…") — seemingly across the entire charge curve, but especially at the higher voltages — even the ones to which we still have access.

To give another data point, I'm going to focus specifically on available regen instead of (super)charging in general — since this is how I first noticed the change:
  • Prior to the update, my car still had full regen available when charged to ~95% (or ~4.15 V), and would taper off while approaching full charge; that had remained consistent throughout my ownership of the vehicle.
  • Immediately after the update, I had charged to 88% (or ~4.08 V? Probably less as the percentages were in the process of being redefined, but it had just started at this point) but had zero regen available, and didn't regain full regen until dropping to ~82-83% (<~4.02 V? Probably less…).
  • Now that the cap has settled (~4.07 V at 100%), I still have zero regen when "fully" charged, and don't regain full regen until around 92% (~4.00-4.01 V).
'Twould seem that anything over 4 V is the "Danger Zone" — probably best to avoid that entirely (unless you like Kenny Loggins).

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
My daily loss while the car is parked in a ~80 degrees (F) garage and plugged in is 1.7%. Is that excessive in your opinion?

I think that drain is a little high. Do you know if your car is going to sleep? I know mine hasn't slept since I updated to 2019.24.4 and it used to sleep as regular as clock work. I use TeslaFi which tracks this sort of thing, I don't think you use it. Have you noticed whether the car needs to wake up from the app or is it always "on"?

I know I'm not the only one affected by this bug. A number of other owners have reported similar behavior.

Question for the group how many more changes and hiding facts from Tesla are you willing to put up with before you change brands or get an ICE? This entire situation makes me rethink my decision to purchase another Tesla especially if they make changes without my approval for something I purchased for ALOT of money. The range reduction alone has reduced our car's value, reduced range, increased charging, as well as basically stealing a part of the battery through the limits.

Think about past history and what they did with AP2 Delays, cancelling launch mode, and now with reduction in range. I understand if they needed to make changes for safety but what if they reduce the range further? What if they take away the ability to charge for free? How comfortable are you with the possibility of your loved ones driving your car and it potentially catching fire?

But that speaks to the whole point of this update: they are severely throttling current ("Out of an abundance of caution…") — seemingly across the entire charge curve, but especially at the higher voltages — even the ones to which we still have access.

To give another data point, I'm going to focus specifically on available regen instead of (super)charging in general — since this is how I first noticed the change:
  • Prior to the update, my car still had full regen available when charged to ~95% (or ~4.15 V), and would taper off while approaching full charge; that had remained consistent throughout my ownership of the vehicle.
  • Immediately after the update, I had charged to 88% (or ~4.08 V? Probably less as the percentages were in the process of being redefined, but it had just started at this point) but had zero regen available, and didn't regain full regen until dropping to ~82-83% (<~4.02 V? Probably less…).
  • Now that the cap has settled (~4.07 V at 100%), I still have zero regen when "fully" charged, and don't regain full regen until around 92% (~4.00-4.01 V).
'Twould seem that anything over 4 V is the "Danger Zone" — probably best to avoid that entirely (unless you like Kenny Loggins).
That is opposite to what I am seeing after update...I get noticeable Regen at 100% and full Regen at 97% or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
That is opposite to what I am seeing after update...I get noticeable Regen at 100% and full Regen at 97% or so.

Are there powered dynos that work like a car treadmill? It would be interesting - and admissible in the ongoing legal battle - to regen charge beyond 100% as evidence. If they recharge to 120% via regen Tesla will have a really hard time hand waving that away as degradation.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Do you know if your car is going to sleep?

Yes, definitely.

Have you noticed whether the car needs to wake up from the app or is it always "on"?

Always needs to wake up from the app where it says "waking up" at the bottom of the phone with the round arrow for awhile. In fact, I just got home about 30 minutes ago, parked in garage and plugged in; and just to be accurate to answer your question, I tried to connect via app and got the same "waking up" message till the car woke up. Also, getting behind the wheel in the morning, it takes awhile for the car to wake up. It's not always "On".

I know I'm not the only one affected by this bug. A number of other owners have reported similar behavior.

Yes, I'm aware of the other thread.

Reactions: DJP31
I'll never go back to an ICE. Period. This is a unique case we are facing with Tesla and hopefully will have a positive outcome.
I don't want to either but if this is not fixed I cant afford to keep spending money either. I hate ICE especially since going to Tesla but I also don't want to do business with a company that is a lone ranger either. I don't agree with the way they changed the cars and certainly don't think they follow standard automotive programs like a simple recall which could have avoided all of this. :)

Reactions: Guillaume and sorka
I don't want to either but if this is not fixed I cant afford to keep spending money either. I hate ICE especially since going to Tesla but I also don't want to do business with a company that is a lone ranger either. I don't agree with the way they changed the cars and certainly don't think they follow standard automotive programs like a simple recall which could have avoided all of this. :)

For me, I'm sitting this out for a bit to see what happens. Other car companies, ICE or not, are not angels either and the consumers have other major issues with them. There are also other EV's currently in your geographic market and there will be a lot more in the next few years. I think that's something Tesla needs to worry about and try to stay away from this micky mouse business of covert and negatively impactful modification to our cars by SW updates. Honestly, I'm totally open to listen to their honest explanation for this capacity cap, and heck they might even convince me. Unfortunately, they have chosen to be silent on this so far.