Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is more than likely unrelated. But I shall share anyway for your reading pleasure during these days of hunkering down in place.

We purchased our S in May 2014. The nearest Supercharger was at Harris Ranch, about a 50-minute drive over back roads. The other "nearby" Superchargers were in Gilroy, Atascadero, and Tejon Ranch, all about 125-160 miles away. Manteca (about 100 miles) opened up in February 2015.

In May 2015, I drove from home to Milwaukee, thence to Minneapolis, and back home. I supercharged all but maybe 400 miles' worth of driving, so probably 30-some sessions. In early August, I drove to southeast British Columbia; again all but maybe 200 miles were at Superchargers, perhaps about 24-28 total sessions.

Lo and behold, one week later, I receive an email signed by Musk suggesting that I was Supercharging too much at my local Supercharger. He pointed out that installing a home charging station was a more efficient use of my time.

We did not have our "local" Supercharger completed until January 2016. Like I am going to make a two-hour round trip plus charging time just to save $8.00 in electricity only to return home at 60% due to the distance from Harris Ranch to my house. Many others in a situation like me received the exact email.

One has to wonder if the genesis of this email was to (a) save Tesla money on Supercharging expense; (b) make sales of their HPWC; (c) or an indicator that the batteries were starting to fade as early as 2015 and this email was a ruse tied to many Supercharging sessions which they thought at the time may have been an indicator of potential future battery issues.

This is more than likely unrelated. But I shall share anyway for your reading pleasure during these days of hunkering down in place.

We purchased our S in May 2014. The nearest Supercharger was at Harris Ranch, about a 50-minute drive over back roads. The other "nearby" Superchargers were in Gilroy, Atascadero, and Tejon Ranch, all about 125-160 miles away. Manteca (about 100 miles) opened up in February 2015.

In May 2016, I drove from home to Milwaukee, thence to Minneapolis, and back home. I supercharged all but maybe 400 miles' worth of driving, so probably 30-some sessions. In early August, I drove to southeast British Columbia; again all but maybe 200 miles were at Superchargers, perhaps about 24-28 total sessions.

Lo and behold, one week later, I receive an email signed by Musk suggesting that I was Supercharging too much at my local Supercharger. He pointed out that installing a home charging station was a more efficient use of my time.

We did not have our "local" Supercharger completed until January 2016. Like I am going to make a two-hour round trip plus charging time just to save $8.00 in electricity only to return home at 60% due to the distance from Harris Ranch to my house. Many others in a situation like me received the exact email.

One has to wonder if the genesis of this email was to (a) save Tesla money on Supercharging expense; (b) make sales of their HPWC; (c) or an indicator that the batteries were starting to fade as early as 2015 and this email was a ruse tied to many Supercharging sessions which they thought at the time may have been an indicator of potential future battery issues.
That is a great plan indeed. I have also been thinking of supercharging my car to death :)

Tesla has communicated this though and based on their disclaimer, I would totally accept a drop of supercharging speed after a serious amount of supercharging sessions. But what is happening here does not make any sense and is rather not really related, since we are not talking about a drop of...a few minutes. Many of the chargegated cars do not really qualify as cars anymore

Reactions: Chaserr
It's why I haven't parked in my own garage for a year. I even had the garage rewired so I could park closer to the street! This way, there is less risk to my family's lives and easier access to the car for my local fire department.
If the car is causing you that much stress, I would absolutely get rid of the car if I was you. It's not worth it. Buy something else and sleep well at night.

... In early August, I drove to southeast British Columbia; again all but maybe 200 miles were at Superchargers, perhaps about 24-28 total sessions.

We did not have our "local" Supercharger completed until January 2016. Like I am going to make a two-hour round trip plus charging time just to save $8.00 in electricity only to return home at 60% due to the distance from Harris Ranch to my house. Many others in a situation like me received the exact email...

Indeed. Here is the thread regarding that infamous letter:

Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

This car is killing me with the trifecta. Batterygate, chargegate and now drainage. The Tesla Trifecta = useless car.

I wish and well hoping Tesla wises up. Though I'm sure they won't. Sad to say but will probably have an ICE this fall/winter and no longer be an owner of Tesla vehicle. I will also probably continue to discourage everyone I know not to buy Tesla or electric. So much for being a believer in Tesla's mission and an early adopter.

Holding on by a thread aka class action.

If the car is causing you that much stress, I would absolutely get rid of the car if I was you. It's not worth it. Buy something else and sleep well at night.
We will, once Tesla, one way or the other, takes responsibility and fully fixes our cars and compensates us for the 12+ months that is forcing us to live with inferior and potentially dangerous cars, that is the first thing we will do.

I've solved the problem as far as I can already, there is literally nothing more I can do with it that I am comfortable doing. When it does what Tesla thinks it is going to do, I've made sure the fire department has easy and rapid access, lives are not in unnecessary danger, and that it's insured. When the law solves the problem fully for us all, my car will be worth considerably more than it as as an illegally modified fire hazard that it is now... and to be frank I'm not so cavalier about foisting lethal problems into a stranger's garage as yourself or Tesla. For both moral and financial reasons I will keep the car until it is repaired or it shows up on the news.

I wish and well hoping Tesla wises up. Though I'm sure they won't.
I'm positive they will. Look what Dieselgate did to VW - they won't be using software cheat devices like Tesla again, and they're recalling more than a half-million cars for fire hazard risks. Tesla should take note, they're following in VW's footsteps. For VW, all it took was sending the CEO to prison for the entire company to start taking the law seriously.

Let Tesla deal with it
Tesla is the entire problem. We know for a fact it has no qualms putting that danger in someone's garage without informed consent.

There is no fear. I have mitigated the danger the only way it currently can be by anyone but Tesla. If I have a fear from this problem, it's that Tesla won't survive the fallout of so many willfully committed crimes - ending the hope my car will be repaired when the law finally does what is inevitable and makes them start thinking rationally. I suppose one could fear not everyone is aware their own cars are ticking time bombs because Tesla is concealing the risks from them intentionally, which they definitely will do if I give them the opportunity to resell my car, but all we can do about that is continue to help the NHTSA do what it's doing since it's their job to inform every owner when corporations try to get away with things like this. If I was oblivious, I wouldn't have any ethical conundrum here, but since I know what they're up to I can't behave as irresponsibly as they do.

And then we circle back to the financial aspect. Tesla takes their intentional devaluation into account with trade in values. Have you seen what they offer for trade in on a Batterygate car? I have - in spite of my ethical reservations I came very close to trading up for a standard range Raven a few months ago, but their trade in offer was low and my sales rep actually used Range as a reason for their laughable number. I might as well donate it to the local fire department so they can have some direct experience with Teslas before it happens to them again in the wild. Not that it matters, I learned the Standard Range still uses the batterygate prone 75kwh battery so buying it would have been foolish of me knowing what I already know about the problem.

I don't know if you bring it up because it's a concern of yours or if you want to believe others are fearful, but please don't project your personal fears onto me if that is the case, if you are afraid I've already explained what you can do to mitigate the problem. I don't smoke either, but that doesn't mean I'm living in fear it just means I don't intentionally place myself or others into known safety risks. If you are truly as afraid as you make it seem, responsible mitigation is easy. You don't even need to spend money to relocate your HPWC - I only did it because the driveway is fairly long and I wanted to make sure it was as close to the street as I could manage, and this way visitors can park outside and charge. Parking farther away is better for you, take a few extra steps, be healthy, and avoid harming anyone or damaging property should Tesla's defects become a bigger problem for you personally than they already are.

You could trade it in to Tesla for a Model 3. Let Tesla deal with it. That way you no longer have to live in fear.
That would be Tesla's wet dream. How about paying another Model S to lawyers though? Now that sounds better to my ears. Tesla has been successful enough to buy itself time, so that desperate owners who feel hopeless, just give up, or are just afraid to go after Tesla. And the batterygated cars are thus getting less and less.

Tesla seems so confident on this for a year now. They have even told owners some thousands posts before, to just sue them if they feel like it. It sounds like a great plan to me.

Our individual suits are pennies at the bottom of Uncle Scrooge's money bin full of gold when it comes to government agency fines. Look what VW had to pay out in fines, in direct to customer cash, and in forced payouts to publicly accessible charging infrastructure over their own cheat-device software that also invalidated officially certified EPA range claims - and VW didn't even double-dip on direct fire safety coverups or admit to doing it in writing before committing the crimes.

I've said it a bunch of times in this thread but it always bears repeating that Tesla hired one of the world's premiere corporate bankruptcy experts to represent their delaying efforts for this suit despite already having its own legal division. There's a reason for that and it isn't JUST because they keep losing General Counsel hires as soon as the new GC looks at Batterygate litigation in progress and recommends changing course immediately to comply with the law (and is told to shut up).

If Tesla simply offers the 350v 85kWh battery as an upgrade tomorrow at a reasonable upgrade price like they're already offering with MCU2 I will pay for the opportunity to remove my VIN from the recall/buyback registry. That is a win all around, and they choose losing every time instead. They're deranged and you have to question how this managed to get so far out of control for them without anyone rational stepping in and explaining it in small words to whoever made the initial decisions that caused all these problems.