Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well...…. 2 weeks ago I went from 59kWh to 66 kWh at 90%, Not bad but I had 72 kWh at 90% before all of this started. Today I have 62 kWh at 90% so I lost 4kWh. Tesla is treating my battery pack like a yoyo.
I usually bounce around 71 kWh usable and keep within a couple tenths of that as displayed by TM-Spy.

I attribute charges of 0.2 kWh or less to battery temperature/garage temperature.

The wild swings of several kWh at a time makes me think one or two of your 16 modules in the pack is questionable.

Tesla Service makes it clear.
But I don’t see that listed in the exclusions in the warranty.

94D7D9DC-FFB3-4B5A-B54F-678F1AFB4210.png

Wow that's a "no" they do not have a "supercharging too slow, this is a problem" number. All of those same "far too complicated" variables go into their guaranteed range replacement number they publish so their total lack of confidence in their own Supercharging as a viable technology in the long term is not good.

Make sure you report it again as a problem, and report it to the NHTSA. Tesla has to forward your problem to them.

Wow that's a "no" they do not have a "supercharging too slow, this is a problem" number. All of those same "far too complicated" variables go into their guaranteed range replacement number they publish so their total lack of confidence in their own Supercharging as a viable technology in the long term is not good.
They told me the same when I sent them the video of my car charging at max 60kw (from 116Kw) under ideal conditions. I even included these ideal conditions in that video. They did tell me this though:
We see that your charging speed has decreased because of the revised settings to protect your battery, but it is still within our limits. I truly believe that lawsuits mean almost nothing. Tesla must be forced to reveal the reason behind these updates. This is the only certain way to get back what we paid for.

I have arranged a battery expert technical evaluation of my car for next month. Based on my charging rate and the fact that we already know that the BMS rather adapts to each car's status, I am hoping to find the worst. For US, I hope that NHTSA manages to get to the bottom of it. For other countries this procedure is yet to start, but hopefully will, in the next couple of months.

I truly believe that lawsuits mean almost nothing. Tesla must be forced to reveal the reason behind these updates. This is the only certain way to get back what we paid for.
Lawsuits are the only way Tesla will budge an inch. Report and complain to Tesla, force them to report to the NHTSA. Then file an NHTSA complaint (see page 1 for link and instructions) and in the notes say you have records. It has been an entire year now, but the NHTSA is finally contacting individual owners asking for dates and times of service presumably to correlate Teslas records wit htheir own, so they are building a case against Tesla right now, and looking for specific instances of Tesla breaking the law. If the NHTSA looks into these reports and finds none of them in Tesla's records sent to them, it is a strike against Tesla and helps budge them. If Tesla forwards your reports on to the NHTSA like they are supposed to the NHTSA gets a clearer view of the volume of Tesla's problem. Either way, it helps to complain to Tesla and then report it to the NHTSA.

Owners play a big part of helping the TSA, we can all help us all win. And long-term, a win for us is a big win for Tesla. The company doesn't have a future if it continues down this path.

Lawsuits are the only way Tesla will budge an inch. Report and complain to Tesla, force them to report to the NHTSA. Then file an NHTSA complaint (see page 1 for link and instructions) and in the notes say you have records. It has been an entire year now, but the NHTSA is finally contacting individual owners asking for dates and times of service presumably to correlate Teslas records wit htheir own, so they are building a case against Tesla right now, and looking for specific instances of Tesla breaking the law. If the NHTSA looks into these reports and finds none of them in Tesla's records sent to them, it is a strike against Tesla and helps budge them. If Tesla forwards your reports on to the NHTSA like they are supposed to the NHTSA gets a clearer view of the volume of Tesla's problem. Either way, it helps to complain to Tesla and then report it to the NHTSA.

Owners play a big part of helping the TSA, we can all help us all win. And long-term, a win for us is a big win for Tesla. The company doesn't have a future if it continues down this path.
I cannot. I live in Europe. Have a different path ahead of me

I cannot. I live in Europe. Have a different path ahead of me
@johnman10
Could you keep us up to date on the topic also in:

Wie ervaart een lagere laadsnelheid/range met de 85kWh na update?

i have posted there also the condition of my battery, i purchased the car (s85 2015) with 90k km from a private seller and logged the battery state with scan my tesla. It seems the previous owner did not do a lot of DC charging but still the charging rates at the SuC are low. I charged the car last week in the netherlands with an ambient temperature of 22c and the battery at 35c. It was after a drive of 80KM and I also noticed the car was not preheating to prepare for supercharging at all when putting the destination in. I only go 50kw at 25%...

screenshot_20200424-161204-jpg.535349

screenshot_20200424-163556-jpg.535350

@johnman10
Could you keep us up to date on the topic also in:

Wie ervaart een lagere laadsnelheid/range met de 85kWh na update?

i have posted there also the condition of my battery, i purchased the car (s85 2015) with 90k km from a private seller and logged the battery state with scan my tesla. It seems the previous owner did not do a lot of DC charging but still the charging rates at the SuC are low. I charged the car last week in the netherlands with an ambient temperature of 22c and the battery at 35c. It was after a drive of 80KM and I also noticed the car was not preheating to prepare for supercharging at all when putting the destination in. I only go 50kw at 25%...

screenshot_20200424-161204-jpg.535349

screenshot_20200424-163556-jpg.535350
Will surely do. I also live in the Netherlands. I need more time though to kick start this whole topic on the level it needs to be escalated. The pandemic surely does not help the timeline though.

I personally do not agree with the approach to just complain to Tesla, or even do a minor legal action. We have already done that. That means nothing to Tesla. I need to know if Tesla has been forcing us to live with a battery that is not safe. This is not up to me to prove though, even if I am personally able to prove this for my own car. A more thorough investigation needs to commence, which strangely enough has not started yet in our region.

I will share more information when I have something new to share.

It's why I haven't parked in my own garage for a year. I even had the garage rewired so I could park closer to the street! This way, there is less risk to my family's lives and easier access to the car for my local fire department.
We kind of suspect what happened of course. The point though is to prove it. That we cannot do on our own for all affected cars, we need country level investigations for that.

I'm never again going to park where my defective battery can kill anyone! Not until the proper authority on this subject has weighed in and issued their recommendations for repair. Tesla already informed us the problem is hardware, and the risks of fire are too great to comply with the law so they did something secret and noticeable in response to that fire problem. The NHTSA (and other countries' authority on safety defect repairs) have to give their OK on anything of this nature. The fact that Tesla has avoided safety and willfully broken the law tells me there is still a danger, so I park as near the gate as teh HPWC allows at home, and at the far end of the parking lot all alone at work. Both locations are as safe as I can manage and as close as I am comfortable with, considering the only thing Tesla has said officially is that Batterygate is in response to known defects in Tesla batteries that have caused fires.

The only thing that will make me stop treating this battery like a dangerous fire hazard is Tesla complying with the law and submitting it to the NHTSA for normal recall review processes, performing the repair, and marking my VIN as completed to safety repair specifications in the official federal lookup for my car.

Officially, Tesla stated a dangerous defect exists more than a year ago, and then did nothing to repair anything.

Push your government to investigate. Tesla's press statement makes the fire response unambiguous - 2019.16 was released the same day they put out a press statement telling us that day they were releasing a patch to mitigate fire problems with charge and thermal settings adjustments. Those adjustments are now referred to as Batterygate and Chargegate. There is no question of cause-effect and their words tell us the effect was caused by their fear of more fires and their idenfification of fire related problem batteries. They just need our help complying with safety laws so we know exactly what the problem is, and when the problem will be repaired in compliance with safety and warranty laws. Until they comply, the problem has not been fixed, just hidden and there is no safety assurance whatsoever.

Last edited:
I'm never again going to park where my defective battery can kill anyone! Not until the proper authority on this subject has weighed in and issued their recommendations for repair. Tesla already informed us the problem is hardware, and the risks of fire are too great to comply with the law so they did something secret and noticeable in response to that fire problem. The NHTSA (and other countries' authority on safety defect repairs) have to give their OK on anything of this nature. The fact that Tesla has avoided safety and willfully broken the law tells me there is still a danger, so I park as near the gate as teh HPWC allows at home, and at the far end of the parking lot all alone at work. Both locations are as safe as I can manage and as close as I am comfortable with, considering the only thing Tesla has said officially is that Batterygate is in response to known defects in Tesla batteries that have caused fires.

The only thing that will make me stop treating this battery like a dangerous fire hazard is Tesla complying with the law and submitting it to the NHTSA for normal recall review processes, performing the repair, and marking my VIN as completed to safety repair specifications in the official federal lookup for my car.

Officially, Tesla stated a dangerous defect exists more than a year ago, and then did nothing to repair anything.

Push your government to investigate. Tesla's press statement makes the fire response unambiguous - 2019.16 was released the same day they put out a press statement telling us that day they were releasing a patch to mitigate fire problems with charge and thermal settings adjustments. Those adjustments are now referred to as Batterygate and Chargegate. There is no question of cause-effect and their words tell us the effect was caused by their fear of more fires and their idenfification of fire related problem batteries. They just need our help complying with safety laws so we know exactly what the problem is, and when the problem will be repaired in compliance with safety and warranty laws. Until they comply, the problem has not been fixed, just hidden and there is no safety assurance whatsoever.

NnH2ZPA6CR5oP8Ka8