Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I was trying to help. I have also read ALL the posts. I took the time, and effort, to explain it in detail as your comment about being nervous about recouping the lost range because you said you were sceptical about a software fix to get the range back, and that you wondered if Tesla had capped the batteries because they were not safe. I thought they were unusual statements to make given the situation. Both are views which I do not share. But I can tell you are very knowledgable about the whole issue. I will have misunderstood your intent. Of all the contributors on here, you are in the top half dozen that the rest of us should listen to. I should take more note of authors!

I apologise if I have been teaching you how to suck eggs. That wasn’t the intention.

Your post started a bit strong by saying "you do not understand". I was taken back by it. Even more now that you say you have read ALL the posts! You must have skipped mine.

comment about being nervous about recouping the lost range because you said you were sceptical about a software fix to get the range back, and that you wondered if Tesla had capped the batteries because they were not safe.

Please read my post one more time, it starts with an IF qualifier:

"If these batteries were not safe and that forced Tesla to cap the capacity in order to avoid further hazard I definitely do not want to take back the range loss and live with a unsafe battery just because of the public pressure. If the batteries are unsafe with the pre-update range they need to be replaced under warranty."

Then why you "thought they were unusual statements to make given the situation"? What's unusual about it? What's the situation?

Do you prefer your range back but ride on an unsafe Li-Plated battery (IF that's the case, and there is a good chance your 4 years old battery might have developed that nasty condition) because of the owners' pressure on Tesla to do so?

BTW, sucking eggs is not good for your teeth ;)

All cool. We'll move on now.

Just curious, has anyone experienced a range reduction with the recent software update.
My full charge capacity dropped from 268 down to 228.
I purchased a 2015 Model S 85D with a ‘suggested’ range of 270miles.
Back in 2015-16 I did a lot of long trips down the coast from SF to LA and managed full charging to 268,
When doing regular driving/charging I would do the recommended daily charging,
After the recent update my full charge range DROPPED TO 228. With the 80% charging now being imposed by Tesla at supercharger locations my range is now 200.
I purchased a Model S 85D for the range and now Tesla has reduced my 85 to a 60.
Worse then that they state that this is NORMAL BATTERY DEGRADATION and not covered under the warranty.
MAD AS HELL.
FreddyQ

They are not limiting your supercharging to 80%.

As many users here are curious about further Tesla actions on this subject, a brief summary of their actions up to now (anagram puzzles seem to be new standard here?;)):

Action X: Makes battery less prone to fires (from excess delithiation or puncture/deformation), helps to prevent Li-plating and fast cathode degradation.
Disadvantages: For the battery none, but user has less range.

Action Y: Helps to prevent Li-plating.
Disadvantages: For the battery none, but user has to wait longer at SuCs.

Action Z: Prevents Li-plating at higher charging rates.
Disadvantages: Cathode degradation is accelerated, the user sees higher consumption/energy costs

So the riddle: Which of the actions, do you guess, Tesla will take back/lower in the future?

I'm a bit conflicted on these choices (leaning on X). Plus, we have been tortured enough. Give us your answer already :)

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and Guy V
Some people take care of things they own like batteries.
They charge at home most of the time on a level 2 charger and keep the charge rate between 20 - 80% as much as possible.
Others charge at SuperChargers as much as possible, want the fastest charge speed possible and shorten the life of the battery.

Sean Mitchell has a good video on him doing just that and ruining his battery.

If Tesla is making any adjustments to their BMS to make the batteries safer and ensure a long life then I am OK with it. Older Tesla's have older battery technology. They have learned a lot over the past 10 years.
Safety and reliability come first.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DJRas and MP3Mike
Some people take care of things they own like batteries.
They charge at home most of the time on a level 2 charger and keep the charge rate between 20 - 80% as much as possible.
Others charge at SuperChargers as much as possible, want the fastest charge speed possible and shorten the life of the battery.

Sean Mitchell has a good video on him doing just that and ruining his battery.

If Tesla is making any adjustments to their BMS to make the batteries safer and ensure a long life then I am OK with it. Older Tesla's have older battery technology. They have learned a lot over the past 10 years.
Safety and reliability come first.

Nothing new on the first 2 tips. Already known. The third tip he is giving has been debunked - it's not charging at high temp, but at low temp.

I have gone as well through the whole thread, started when it had 57 pages.
I don't think I have seen any hard evidence supporting the claim that Tesla is out after Li plating or dendrite growth?
For any newcomer to the thread it would be great to stick to the facts and clearly separate that from speculation.

Thank you for your views. I don’t remember ever stating anything as a fact that I could not support. I'm pretty sure I qualified all of my views with a 'may' or 'I think', clearly showing, I thought, that they were my views rather than fact. Perhaps you don’t think they are investigating Li Plating and Dendrite growth. I guess that would be your opinion. And of course you may be right.

And I hope no-one confuses newcomer with someone that has been a member on here for many years but has kept his views to himself. Seems that was a good idea.

OK, I was trying to help someone I mistakenly thought was worrying, I got it wrong, I apologised, lesson learnt. Moving on seems good advice, which I am going to take. I may spend the next 3 years just watching.

I do agree a summary would be helpful.

Last edited:
And I hope no-one confuses newcomer with someone that has been a member on here for many years but has kept his views to himself. Seems that was a good idea.

A newcomer to the thread making comments, not sitting there and watching. That's how I read the comment made by @Julienx2k2.

I may spend the next 3 years just watching.

I certainly hope not. That's a long time to watch something ;)

That's a long time to watch something ;)

Ha! It is. I confess I normally just dip in and out of TMC. My national forum is full of people posting opinion and guesswork as fact. If I want to find facts, it’s rarely the place to find them. In the absence of anything from Tesla, I have relied almost entirely on the very helpful and knowledgable information and explanations on here. I am much less worried than I was. I just need to stop making an ar5e of myself trying to help experts!

Watching can be better than it sounds.

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
@Ferrycraigs

Out of curiosity, and I meant to ask earlier, does your Tesla have TBZC?
It does. That’s why I’m here. Curiously I am a rare Supercharger, an almost never 100%er, and a regular 20%-80% operator. So I’m still a bit confused as to Why Me? I thought I was treating my battery even more carefully than Tesla recommended. My suspicion is the car can’t differentiate between low level DC charging (CHAdeMO at approx 38kWs) and high level DC charging (Supercharging up to high 90s kW).

• Helpful
It does. That’s why I’m here. Curiously I am a rare Supercharger, an almost never 100%er, and a regular 20%-80% operator. So I’m still a bit confused as to Why Me? I thought I was treating my battery even more carefully than Tesla recommended. My suspicion is the car can’t differentiate between low level DC charging (CHAdeMO at approx 38kWs) and high level DC charging (Supercharging up to high 90s kW).

Appreciate it. What model, year, milage, range loss, etc.?

Appreciate it. What model, year, milage, range loss, etc.?
Pre facelift S70, 53,000 miles, range loss on Typical is 216 to 192. Capacity dropped overnight from 68.5kWh to 58.2kWh, but has remained pretty steady since then. Vampire Drain drifts erratically from 1%-4%. % Consumption varies dramatically, and erratically. Difficult to forecast SoC for journey.

My charging history over past 3 years is approx:
Low DC (CHAdeMO) 80%
Fast DC (Supercharging) 15%
AC 5%

• Informative
In my opinion, a warranty replacement should be dependent on a loss of actual usable battery capacity. If Tesla has to limit the SoC to keep the battery operating safely and you fall below the warranty limit as a result, you should get a new battery. It doesn’t matter what causes the degradation, natural or Tesla imposed for safety/longevity. Again, that is the opinion of some of us here, and there are plenty on this forum that think otherwise.

In my opinion it makes a huge difference, if it’s done for safety, or longevity. If it’s done for safety, then it’s really just a different form of degradation. And with an EV you need to expect degradation within the limits of warranty.

If it’s done for longevity, then it’s not ok. If you want longevity you can charge your car always to 70%, which has more impact than their smaller limit. But you don’t have to. And since it’s your car, Tesla can’t force you to have a long lasting battery.

This is different than the Apple thing. The judge agreed, that a customer can’t expect the battery to last longer than a year. And the phone would go back to normal operation with a battery replacement. But that doesn’t apply to the Model S battery.