Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"the battery cells are experiencing some wear, which is normal and expected as the vehicle ages"

That's pretty close to what Tesla told me on the phone. I understand the range degradation as it's expected. What is unknown is the sudden and drastic range loss after 2019.16.x many owners are experiencing. It almost looks as they have shrunk our usable battery capacity to avoid 100% charging. In other words, If the charging now completes at 100%, it might be only 90% in reality. If true, the question is what's the reason behind it? A poster in another thread stated the 2019.16.x has increased the reserved portion of the pack by 1kW on his car.

There are other possibilities for this sudden range loss. We just do not know.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Was it immediately after 2019.16.x installation? I went straight from 2019.12.1.1 to 2019.16.2 and did not see the degradation, could there be some issue in 2019.16.1 which caused this? What does your teslafi say in the datatable like this:
ScreenClip.png

Was it immediately after 2019.16.x installation? I went straight from 2019.12.1.1 to 2019.16.2 and did not see the degradation, could there be some issue in 2019.16.1 which caused this? What does your teslafi say in the datatable like this:View attachment 419230

Yes, mine has been after 2019.16.x AND after car's cooling pump ran for hours in two separate days which I reported here . This might impacted some older packs but not all older packs.

That's pretty close to what Tesla told me on the phone. I understand the range degradation as it's expected. What is unknown is the sudden and drastic range loss after 2019.16.x many owners are experiencing. It almost looks as they have shrunk our usable battery capacity to avoid 100% charging. In other words, If the charging now completes at 100%, it might be only 90% in reality. If true, the question is what's the reason behind it? A poster in another thread stated the 2019.16.x has increased the reserved portion of the pack by 1kW on his car.

There are other possibilities for this sudden range loss. We just do not know.

I should also report that on June 2, I started using an OBD2 and Scan My Tesla app to read the diagnostic port.
On June 2 it indicated the
"Normal full pack 69.6 kWh, Energy buffer 4kWh"
On June 14 it indicated the
"Normal full pack 66.0 kWh, Energy buffer 4kWh"

The 3.3 kWh decline in battery capacity is consistent with the decline in mileage. So independent of any change in reserved portion my battery capacity has declined and it continues on a daily basis. It is not just rated miles that is degrading.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I should also report that on June 2, I started using an OBD2 and Scan My Tesla app to read the diagnostic port.
On June 2 it indicated the
"Normal full pack 69.6 kWh, Energy buffer 4kWh"
On June 14 it indicated the
"Normal full pack 66.0 kWh, Energy buffer 4kWh"

The 3.3 kWh decline in battery capacity is consistent with the decline in mileage. So independent of any change in reserved portion my battery capacity has declined and it continues on a daily basis. It is not just rated miles that is degrading.

I think it's combination of both: an increase in the reserved portion and a decrease of the total kWh available. What's puzzling me is the sudden drop in the kWh, RM, etc.

BTW, you mentioned you see 27 RM drop. That should be a lot more than 3.3 kWh decline.

[QUOTE="Droschke, post: 3752571, member: 33349"
BTW, you mentioned you see 27 RM drop. That should be a lot more than 3.3 kWh decline.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But the 27 RM drop was over 28 days and I don't know what the full kWh was then.
The 3.3 kWh decline was over 11 days and 11 RM drop which is consistent 330 Wh/mi.

... shows my capacity at 62.8kWh (which was at ~74kWh before all this started)...

Thanks for the info. I do not use third party apps. I just go with what the car tells me. Tesla gave me the same canned response: your batter is aging, but could not say why aging rapidly in a month!

A sudden 12 kWh in your case is significant. It would be interesting if Tesla ever explains it.

Reactions: Chaserr