Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this discussion and reading the data from an affected car (not mine) I believe it is a software issue. Something triggers the software/BMS to miscalculate capacity. Batteries do not degrade all of a sudden after being stable for years. And the fact that we have a good number of cars seeing the same starting around the same time indicates it's a software issue.

Tend to agree it’s software normally I don’t care about this type of stuff which is why I leave on percentage ...however last few revs of software have been horrible and like a few have mentioned just would like to know if bug or there is some reason to do ..on 16.2 I got the faster supercharging and the browser on mcu1 worked now looks like 20.1 took me back

After 2019.16.x, I've a drop of 7.5%.

My car has 43K miles and is 4 years old. My cooling pump also ran unusually in two different days and for very long hours. Since then I've noticed the drop. I think the pump running for up to 10 and then 5 hours straight while the car was parked was the result of some battery calibration routine that Tesla was executing on my HVB which has caused the new and much lower RM to be calculated.

On Edit: And here is the weird part, I always showing about 264-265 miles (265 was when the car was new) until these recent software updates. Now the 100% charge looks like about 245. A hefty 20 miles loss in few weeks!!![/QUOTE

I have experienced the same issue. Three weeks ago my 2014 Model S with 55K miles had the cooling pump running continuously for 28 hours while in my garage. My battery degradation after 4 years had dropped from 265 miles to 254. Since the cooling pump issue my range dropped to 228. This is a hefty 26 mile range loss nearly overnight. Called the service rep and they did a diagnostic over night and reported "everything is normal". Believe me a 26 mile range loss in a few weeks in not normal. No other changes in charging or driving during this period. Also, my overnight phantom power loss was running 1-2 miles per night, now it is at 4-5 miles per night. Something definitely not right.

Can the OP please ask the mod to rename this thread to something like "Sudden loss of range with 16.x software update" ?

Thread title updated. You could also just report your own post (or actually any post) asking for an update...doesn't need to be the OP who asks for it.

Bruce.

Any lawyers in the house?

C2BE463A-932C-4B90-9A97-7899CBB11A4B.jpeg

042A042A-7D1D-4752-A731-6FA513803C73.jpeg

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: sorka and P85_DA
He (Austin) insists that the vast majority of older 85 and 90 Tesla's won't see any change in rated mileage from the update.

What more can you provide in regards to this comment? It confirms they are aware of the update causing the range decrease, but what is the reason for the change? What does Tesla see in those "minority" of batteries where they came to the conclusion that some software change was necessary?

The question is this a bug or intentional. .

Again, the wording you provided implies they are aware that some (5%? 10%? what is 100% - vast majority?) will have a decreased range, and therefore it is intentional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
So, Today I went to the Tesla Service Center in Oceanside and had scheduled an appointment to have the High Voltage battery Capacity Test performed. But, I was advised that I would have to pay $253 for the test to be performed. If the battery was found faulty the fee would be refunded. I said that was fine as long as I could get a copy of the test data for my records. He said that they cannot release the data as it is "proprietary". I said that if I was paying for the data then it should be mine. He agreed... but said he couldn't release it.
I said that I believe my battery will show completely fine because 5 weeks ago it was just fine. That I am 99%sure that the latest software update is what has artificially limited my battery capacity. That prior to May 15 I had a rated range of 247 miles which translates to 75kWh capacity. That from reading the CAN bus on the current battery state it reports I now have 60kWh (usable +4kWh reserve). That a degradation of 15kWh in 5 weeks if NOT "normal battery degradation". I asked if he agreed with that assessment and he did agree.
I also advised that this has been identified within the Tesla community worldwide and there are now many that have pinpointed the exact same symptoms to this software update.
I asked to be informed of any follow-up from Tesla on this situation. He agreed and said he would let me know (though I doubt I'll hear anything unless I keep pursuing it.

BTW... I also noted that the other inflection point on my graph correlates to release 2018.26

Attachments

• FusionCharts.jpg
    FusionCharts.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 80
So, Today I went to the Tesla Service Center in Oceanside and had scheduled an appointment to have the High Voltage battery Capacity Test performed. But, I was advised that I would have to pay $253 for the test to be performed. If the battery was found faulty the fee would be refunded. I said that was fine as long as I could get a copy of the test data for my records. He said that they cannot release the data as it is "proprietary". I said that if I was paying for the data then it should be mine. He agreed... but said he couldn't release it.
I said that I believe my battery will show completely fine because 5 weeks ago it was just fine. That I am 99%sure that the latest software update is what has artificially limited my battery capacity. That prior to May 15 I had a rated range of 247 miles which translates to 75kWh capacity. That from reading the CAN bus on the current battery state it reports I now have 60kWh (usable +4kWh reserve). That a degradation of 15kWh in 5 weeks if NOT "normal battery degradation". I asked if he agreed with that assessment and he did agree.
I also advised that this has been identified within the Tesla community worldwide and there are now many that have pinpointed the exact same symptoms to this software update.
I asked to be informed of any follow-up from Tesla on this situation. He agreed and said he would let me know (though I doubt I'll hear anything unless I keep pursuing it.

BTW... I also noted that the other inflection point on my graph correlates to release 2018.26

$253 fee to diagnose a major "issue" with your car? If they agreed you are losing 15kWh in few weeks is not "normal", they still wanted you to pay the $253?

Last edited:

Your battery likely did not change, this is software - see post 61 and 65 above

This is very simple, just have them show that the cell voltage is 4.2 volts when charged to 100%.
If it isn't, then it's not REALLY charged to 100%. This is REALLY clear cut. When a lithium ion cell degrades and loses capacity, it still charged to 4.2 volts even if it only has 50% capacity left.

That said, the canbus log could show less than 4.2 volts when full charged and it could be NOT software related. Why? The voltage displayed is really the average of each cell in the string(there are 96 strings on an 85 battery). If cells are blown, their fuses close and bypass the battery and you'll get a lower voltage on the string.

In either case, they're either preventing you from charging to 4.2 volts via software or you have blown cells enough to result in less voltage in which case it's not normal degradation. Bottom line, there is no explanation that begins with normal degradation where you can't charge to 4.2 volts.

Reactions: Big Earl
I'd even be fine with more strictness on fully charging. Like limiting it to twice a month and limiting the amount of time it can stay fully charged. Like if you charge to 100%, you better use it within 30 minutes or it will turn the AC full and actively chill the battery until the SOC drops below say 95% or heck even just chilling the battery as it approaches 100% so if you don't use it soon, you won't have 100% anymore.

BTW, limiting regen to 93% or below is going to cause accidents because unsuspecting drivers who are first subjected to this will end up rear ending other cars because their S didn't slow down like their used to and they weren't ready to move their foot to the brake pedal fast enough.

What more can you provide in regards to this comment? It confirms they are aware of the update causing the range decrease, but what is the reason for the change? What does Tesla see in those "minority" of batteries where they came to the conclusion that some software change was necessary?

Again, the wording you provided implies they are aware that some (5%? 10%? what is 100% - vast majority?) will have a decreased range, and therefore it is intentional.

He did not indicate any specific number. He just said the vast majority of Tesla's won't have their range effected. I argued back that I did not believe that to be the case because of how many owners reported it in this thread already. He countered with the forum reports don't count because that's not most of the cars getting the new software. I countered with "exactly" because most of the owners effected by this aren't on the forum. i.e. I threw the sampling argument back at him as the reason why this probably effects almost everyone with older 85s and 90s.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Got a response from Tesla via email, they basically told me all is fine. Put it through Google Translate...

A new firmware was loaded on your car during the previous service visit. Each new firmware calculates a step better which range can actually be driven with the status of the battery. This is based on both battery degradation, your own driving style and environmental factors such as weather and traffic. The fact that you see in your app that you can drive 40 kilometers less with a full battery does not mean that you have actually lost 40 kilometers of range; only that the calculation has been made better, so that you are less likely to lose more than 1 kilometer range per kilometer driven.

So that’s it....