Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057 Have you been able to confirm your theory yet?

I have my own theory but it's pure speculation without the the support of data for or against it. What if they're limiting charge based on the amount of internal resistance the battery has developed. Batteries can develop high IR without necessarily losing capacity. Charging becomes less efficient because the battery heats more while charging with higher IR but a battery with high IR without degraded capacity can still be charged full but if you don't slow it down the battery gets warmer.

I always figured this is why the taper has increased over time. When new, my I was pulling 74KW at 54% but now I only pull 65KW at 54%. I assumed it was the charge management making adjustments over time to account for higher IR.

What if Tesla has decided to factor IR into ultimately how much they'll allow you to charge rather than just how fast? I cant think of any other factor in battery health that would cause them to do what they've done.

To the owners here who have experienced and NOT experienced this issue. If your capacity was unchanged or changed very little by the update, have you supercharged yet and if so have you done so to some relatively high SOC? Same question for those most effected this issue.

Would looking at supercharger efficiency tell us anything?

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden

I have my own theory but it's pure speculation without the the support of data for or against it. What if they're limiting charge based on the amount of internal resistance the battery has developed. Batteries can develop high IR without necessarily losing capacity. Charging becomes less efficient because the battery heats more while charging with higher IR but a battery with high IR without degraded capacity can still be charged full but if you don't slow it down the battery gets warmer.

I always figured this is why the taper has increased over time. When new, my I was pulling 74KW at 54% but now I only pull 65KW at 54%. I assumed it was the charge management making adjustments over time to account for higher IR.

What if Tesla has decided to factor IR into ultimately how much they'll allow you to charge rather than just how fast? I cant think of any other factor in battery health that would cause them to do what they've done.

To the owners here who have experienced and NOT experienced this issue. If your capacity was unchanged or changed very little by the update, have you supercharged yet and if so have you done so to some relatively high SOC? Same question for those most effected this issue.

The BMS does monitor temperatures of cell packs. I don't believe they have another way to monitor IR.
The BMS controls the entire charging profile both with home and Supercharging. The charge current drops progressively in both instances. More of a slope with Superchargers.

Reactions: neroden

I've supercharged twice since the update. In both cases to 90+% and noticed a longer tapering than before the update, with 3kW starting a little bit over 90%. I've only 43K miles on my car.

I've not supercharged after updating from 2019.16.2 to 2019.20.1.1 this week.

Under 2019.16.20.1, I'm still showing the same 30 miles loss I had under 2019.16.2.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Power tools (see post 313, last pic) or Teslemetry are two apps I use.

I finally got around to trying Teslemetry and charging to ~100%. Looks like I'm maxing out at 390kw.
IMG_6708.JPG

Had 2019.20.2.1 update last night. Supercharged today to 95%. Just plugged in to top up from 88% to 90% and is now reporting 45min to charge at 8kWh ?.. maybe the update will restore my lost 10% !?
I got this update recently and tried Supercharging yesterday and still same range in the end at 90%. The weird thing is initially it was reporting 0 for kW and kWh but it was still adding miles so I moved to another stall and it reported the same thing. So I rebooted and it is showing correct information again although I think charging rate is slower now. I'll have to test again when I get to a much lower SoC. I think 2019.16.x I was back to 115kW charging rate when it appeared that I may have been throttled.