Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like we are getting a sprinkling of folks that are now starting to see range return between 8-10 miles thus far. For those with the CANBUS readers what changes have you seen in the total capacity has it gone up to 4.0 or higher? I am wondering if Tesla didn't put a fix in the last software 2019.28.2 that is slowing returning the range and what the cap will be. Even if range returns I still feel the lawsuit is very relevant to protect the rights of future consumers of EV. Tesla should not be able to just change the performance and capacity of batteries without explanation and if it's substantial reimburse the buyers.

Having gotten back 10 out of 30 miles loss, I strongly believe I would never get the entire 30 miles back. Additionally and being distrustful of Tesla, and based on their irresponsible behavior exhibited here, I even tend to believe that this 10 miles or so RM gain in my case is probably temporary in order to dampen the outrage and will be put back in again gradually and silently. They have lost my trust for sure.

They have lost my trust for sure.
I got a standard email shot from Tesla today, inviting me to part exchange my current vehicle for something nice and new. The something nice and new will come with lots of Range and Free Supercharging (that will be the free Supercharging that was shut off a few months ago).

In order to get a valuation for the Trade In, I have to tick a box saying the car was 'Free from any mechanical issues.' Really. A couple of months ago I might have put this down to poor internal communication. Now I see ulterior motives round every corner. Have they lost my trust? I would say, permanently.

I got a standard email shot from Tesla today, inviting me to part exchange my current vehicle for something nice and new. The something nice and new will come with lots of Range and Free Supercharging (that will be the free Supercharging that was shut off a few months ago).

In order to get a valuation for the Trade In, I have to tick a box saying the car was 'Free from any mechanical issues.' Really. A couple of months ago I might have put this down to poor internal communication. Now I see ulterior motives round every corner. Have they lost my trust? I would say, permanently.

I got a similar email. Deleted it immediately.

I would be tempted if they offered a reasonable price. Tesla still makes the best electric cars. Although my last year with Tesla Model S has been my worst experience ever with any car, the first five years were the best ever. I would like to be back there with a new warranty and super supercharging. Only need to remember to sell it before warranty expires to avoid being exposed to The Tesla Cold Shoulder.

Ahh... The Microsoft model...

Microsoft does A LOT of testing to validate that new software works with older systems. Their problem is that the set of combinations and permutations of hardware and software is literally endless. It's why Apple has a reputation as being more reliable; their OS runs on a MUCH smaller set of systems.

Reactions: Droschke
I would be tempted if they offered a reasonable price. Tesla still makes the best electric cars. Although my last year with Tesla Model S has been my worst experience ever with any car, the first five years were the best ever. I would like to be back there with a new warranty and super supercharging. Only need to remember to sell it before warranty expires to avoid being exposed to The Tesla Cold Shoulder.

You wrote "Tesla still makes the best electric cars."

Then you wrote "Only need to remember to sell it before warranty expires to avoid being exposed to The Tesla Cold Shoulder."

How can it be the best?

Tick the box, Tesla says there is nothing wrong with your battery pack. They won't stop you from trading it in and buying a new one.

It's the next owner that has to worry about it.

Here's the most recent response from "Tesla Support" regarding my 2014 S85 30+ mile range loss, extended supercharge times, and increased phantom loss as a result of their "firmware" update:

Thank You for contacting Tesla!
We are very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Tesla's battery system.
We are seeing some issues where batteries are being underestimated by our range calculation system. This does not affect the energy retention capabilities of your HV Battery but, only the displayed range. We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacities, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates. In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed as over-the-air updates.

You can also perform a battery discharge to a low level of 20% - 25% followed by a full charge to 100%. This method may be able to correct your Tesla's range estimation algorithm and you will be able to see a more accurate range estimate on your display.

Lastly, if you are continuing to experience issues with your battery range, please schedule a service center appointment and our service team will be able to inspect and test your Tesla's high voltage battery system. You can schedule a service appointment directly from your Tesla mobile app or you can find the contact information for all of our service centers at the following page: Find Us | Tesla
Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns and thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Best regards,

S. P. | Tesla Support

While in previous responses Tesla Support had acknowledged that "a small percentage" of Tesla owners experienced a loss of range and they were working on a fix, now they are stating that battery range is being "underestimated by their range calculation system". What a crock! Telling me that it "only affects the displayed range" is ludicrous. The fact that I now have to charge to visit family members when I didn't before, take twice as long at a supercharger, have had my S85 turned into an S60 overnight, with the only software updates received being frivolous arcade games is a clear indication that Tesla has lost touch with priorities and customers. The question lingering is . . . how many customers does Tesla have to lose before they address this issue? I'm saddling in with the class action suit.
That is just copy pasting some prewritten boilerplate response. The support person probably doesn’t understand what you’re talking. Of course back office knows what’s going on, but front office knows nothing about this issue.