Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's your smoking gun. Have an independent auditor take readings from the canbus showing less than 4.2v per cell at 100% SoC. Then have same people pull that pack apart and test the cells individually on a workbench (bet you a Cybertruck they carge to 4.2). This proves Tesla's BMS is reducing the capacity. 1000000% certainty they can't call that normal (or even abnormal) degradation.
Now where to find a volunteer to pull their pack apart....

Permanent magnet motors have a permanent magnetic field in the stator and thus can regen down to 0 mph easily and efficiently.

Induction motors, however, use energy to “induce” a magnetic field in the stator. As a result, they cannot efficiently preserve a strong-enough magnetic field all the way down to 0 mph. Basically induction motors would waste a lot of energy trying to regen down to zero, and would result in a net loss of energy, which is why our cars stop the regen at 5 mph.

I don't think the quality of regen is what the issue is about. One pedal driving is a convenience feature, not a useful way to regen. The energy recovered from 5 mph to zero is not much and certainly not important. Likewise the energy spent stopping the car using the induction motors. I would bet it is more a matter of Tesla looking forward to making new cars work better and not really caring much about the cars they've already made their profit on.

My induction motor car will come to a full stop when the cruise control is programmed. So obviously they have the means to do it either by the motors or by using the brakes for the last couple mph. There is clearly no technical reason for not providing one pedal driving on the older cars.

Ever hear of planned obsolescence?

This thread has nothing to do will slow supercharging due to battery temperature. We are all very well aware of that issue. I've been supercharging my car for 5 years and the speed has very clearly been capped to half of it's former capability

Exactly. There is a constant influx of owners claiming to be capped, but they are charging cold cars. I fully understand your situation, but that is why new people posting to this thread should be downvoted for claims without following the wiki first post to review the actual situation, which is very different, which is easily checked via warming their battery with vigorous acceleration/decel and charging at lower states of charge on non-shared supercharging stalls. Thank you for backing up my post.

Here's your smoking gun. Have an independent auditor take readings from the canbus showing less than 4.2v per cell at 100% SoC. Then have same people pull that pack apart and test the cells individually on a workbench (bet you a Cybertruck they carge to 4.2). This proves Tesla's BMS is reducing the capacity. 1000000% certainty they can't call that normal (or even abnormal) degradation.

Tesla doesn't accept any third party CAN bus apps. Of course that doesn't mean the court won't accept it. There is no doubt the cells will charge to 4.2 and higher if you want. Tesla doesn't deny they can't be charged higher, they say it's preventive measure to make the battery last longer. The argument is that the battery needing this treatment to prevent a catastrophic failure is already defective and need to replaced under warranty. Reducing capacity, range, performance, charge speed isn't OK to avoid a legit warranty claim.

And I bet you can charge any of the cells to 4.3v too. You could go even higher if you wanted, there is nothing stopping it until the cell fails, other than the BMS/charger logic.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: VT_EE and bhzmark
What in the hell that's supposed to mean except your continuous distraction in this thread since its inception? That there is a BMS and charger logic? So what.

He was saying that you could manually charge the cell to 4.2v means that is proof that they capped the cell. I was just stating that you could charge the cell to 4.3v as well, because there is nothing in the cell that stops you from charging it to a particular voltage. So it is proof of nothing. You can't inspect the cell and determine the voltage that Tesla uses for 100%, that is always controlled by the BMS/charger not the cell itself.

Tesla doesn't accept any third party CAN bus apps. Of course that doesn't mean the court won't accept it. There is no doubt the cells will charge to 4.2 and higher if you want. Tesla doesn't deny they can't be charged higher, they say it's preventive measure to make the battery last longer.
1. Tesla doesn't have to, hence the independent auditor. Meaning, not you, not me, not Ed Chen or DJRas. An unbiased 3rd party
2. Exactly, so the court WILL accept it as fact.
3. Um, no 4.2v is the max of nearly all 18650 cells. That's a known fact.
4. Tesla sold our vehicles to us and we specifically paid a premium for performance (in the case of P85DL's). They have not only stolen the range of the car, but the premium paid performance.

holy *sugar*....wonder what I will get with my new 2020 Model S

You'll get FAR faster charging in warmer California than colder Ohio for sure, and especially if you supercharge on road trips and not the cold battery, cold car supercharge the Ohio poster did. I downvoted him for being yet another spurious post that ads no value to this thread. Read the first wiki post, it calls out the actual issue. Your 2020 is unaffected by the Tesla firmware update.

1. Tesla doesn't have to, hence the independent auditor. Meaning, not you, not me, not Ed Chen or DJRas. An unbiased 3rd party
2. Exactly, so the court WILL accept it as fact.
3. Um, no 4.2v is the max of nearly all 18650 cells. That's a known fact.
4. Tesla sold our vehicles to us and we specifically paid a premium for performance (in the case of P85DL's). They have not only stolen the range of the car, but the premium paid performance.

A significant premium, I might add.

And I haven’t access to those capabilities for the last six months...

He was saying that you could manually charge the cell to 4.2v means that is proof that they capped the cell. I was just stating that you could charge the cell to 4.3v as well, because there is nothing in the cell that stops you from charging it to a particular voltage. So it is proof of nothing. You can't inspect the cell and determine the voltage that Tesla uses for 100%, that is always controlled by the BMS/charger not the cell itself.

Whatever suits your (exposed) agenda. This is a Tesla forum for Tesla cars. The thread is for the capped cars. The max of 4.2v is Tesla's max for their 18650 cells, no matter what you bring up to distract.