Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla has removed/altered the warranty info off my account. It only has a link to the "new warranty" and not my original warranty.

Edit: added screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 1.21.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 1.21.02 PM.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dax279 and DJRas
When I called Tesla to complain they said my battery had a CAC 217 whatever that meant that my battery was on par with all similar 85pks

CAC is the Calculated Amperage Capacity of your battery (in non-capped mode) and it's measured in Ah. I believe the value is 230Ah for brand new battery.

- Was 217 the minimum, average or maximum value for your battery?
- If your battery is "on par with all similar 85pks" according to Tesla*, the question from you to Tesla would have been "then, why am I capped?"

* when they say 'similar to all other 85pks', I believe they are comparing your CAC to other packs similar to yours in the uncapped universe

Sorry if this was posted before, but while looking at Tesla Battery diagnostics – Teslalogger Preview – EMDS, I noticed that they shared on the video their battery statistics and briefly mentioned being capped. That starts at around the 6:55 time in the video

Yes, I had seen the video before. What he is implying is it shouldn't matter if you AC or DC charge and which one is better or worse since the "highly sophisticated" BMS is supposed to keep the battery healthy (unless the BMS has not been doing its job). I'm not sure whether or not the capacity decline, after relatively linear capacity, he is showing is due to the capping we are talking about. He calls it the result of a harmful OTA software introduced by the "manufacturer". Sounds familiar though.

Yep you’re right, they didn’t get supercharging.
I also just remembered those 40kWh were actually 60s... I could be wrong. But I think I remember them being 60kwh batteries

40's were software locked 60's and could not DC charge at all. For a 40 to Supercharge, the owner first had to pay the unlock fee to become a 60 and then pay the Supercharge one-time fee. 85's got "free" Supercharging. People who purchased a normal 60 could pay something like $2,000 for free unlimited Supercharging.

Reactions: Droschke
Battery Monitoring and Tracking

From reading this thread, I gather there are different tools to track and generate reports re. Battery conditions.

Can someone please summarise what hardware and software tools are available to buy or get hold of, for that purpose. A brief pros, cons, and prices will be v. helpful.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
Is there any batterygated owner, who lives in the cold climate, who still can see the battery warming icon on the Tesla app while preheating the cabin? I don't.

No matter how long I preheat the cabin I'm unable to see the icon. This is definitely a new behavior and I'm trying to see if it only applies to the capped batteries. No regen anymore for a cold battery and no battery preheating while the cabin is being preheated. A very weird combination. You would have guessed they would have left the battery preheating alone or even make it more aggressive to alleviate the new zero-regen behavior for a cold battery.

I wonder how the original 40kWh Model S’s are doing. If they too were affected by this update then their cars are pretty much a fancy giant paperweight.

The way the 40kwh was achieved was a software lock and the software lock was done by limiting the voltage that the battery could charge to. So this new batterygate that imposes a voltage limit <4.2V would have no effect on the 40kwh cars since they already had a voltage limit much lower than 4.2V to begin with.

Swell. So now they actually bump your battery temperature down lower than before potentially making your next charge stop even slower if you charged to higher soc at the last one. A problem in cold climates as it will be difficult to get the temperature back up, especially if you were to charge on something else than superchargers that allow for navigate to suc for heating.