Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand, you seem to be reaching for assorted reasons to apologise for the crimes you personally accused Tesla of committing earlier today. I give you facts, you give me impossible situations that frankly do not exist.

A person driving your hypothetical 100%-60% every day was using 40% of their available capacity daily. On a capped battery they are now using over 50% to drive the exact same distance. Your example, real world math. We physically can't charge as high and by necessity are deeper discharging. Degradation happens at all states of charge and gets worse at lower states of charge, far worse than it does at higher states of charge. There is no % wher edegradation doesn't exist like you seem to believe, we are forced to discharge more deeply and are degrading more quickly.

Lets do the math on your car. What was the daily capacity drain before you were capped? What is it now that you've been capped? We can calculate the volts and determine how much more stress your cells are subjected to by determining how much lower your volts are dropped every day.

This is the only way degradation ties to batterygate directly, and I don't know why you would assume its intentional. tesla might have increased rates of degradation but that was a side effect not the intent.

Where they talked about pack longevity?

Reread where you found them talking about that. They never mention degradation, not once. They discuss fires the entire time. Fire was the only reason they released that statement at all, it was a single topic press release and "Longevity" refers to batteries that are not burned out husks.

Last edited:
Where they talked about pack longevity? I think we are talking past each other at this point, I'm not understanding you and you aren't understanding me.

Correct.

Fact: There is a connection between the capping software updates and the fire incidents
Speculation/opinion: There is a connection between battery longevity (who, BTW, asked for that?) and the capping software updates

I keep providing you with the facts as we know them and you keep telling me about your speculation/opinion the way you see them. That's why we are talking past each other.

As @Ferrycraigs, a respected owner posting in this thread, has stated repeatedly here, you are entitled to your opinions (your speculations) but not entitled to your facts.

Reactions: Chaserr
Tesla did use the word "longevity" when they admitted the caps were rolled out to stop more parked cars from bursting into flames. A crippled battery does have more longevity than a burning one.

I suspect this is where that excuse's myth came from; not everyone read the admission in its entirety and some intentionally misquoted it to help Tesla maintain the deception.

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Tesla found an issue and took immediate action to prevent the problem from causing a fire. With the immediate problem solved they then continued investigating and working on other solutions. The only other thing they could have done was immediately recalled all affected vehicles, but with no replacement packs available people would have been without their cars, or be given ICE rentals from Tesla, for months. Obviously it would have been a disaster for the company, from which it may never have recovered, which would have meant no replacement packs for anyone in the future.
True, but they definitely could have done a better job communicating what the plan was/is.

Seems to me the permanent fix is replacing the battery packs which is happening. Maybe not at a speed of our liking but it is happening.
JRP3,
Can you please expand on what you mean by “is happening”. Did Tesla officially acknowledge capping our batteries and that’s why they are replacing them? If so, where is this info coming from?

• Helpful
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
Develop replacement policy--because there are constraints with supply of replacement packs and resources at the service center (and maybe desire to avoid having a spike of warranty costs tank quarterly results), they need to figure out how to triage cars: at what point do we consider a pack flipped from ill to terminally ill, who gets priority, etc

Actually, the reserve for warranty repairs must be recorded in the accounting period (generally quarterly for publicly traded companies) the situation comes to light and a reasonable estimate is calculated by the engineering department and accounting department. We saw that there was no mention of this lawsuit in the third quarter 10-Q. We will see whether there is mention in the 10-K that will be released "soon."

In other words, if our hypothetical solution is to roll out replacement battery packs to all affected owners over an 18-month period, Tesla still has to do the accounting to increase its warranty reserve today, and not bleed in into the financials over this 18-month period.

It is entirely possible using engineering and accounting sleight-of-hand that any increased warranty costs for us affected by battery/chargegates would be offset by reduced warranty costs for newer cars if there is justification that prior years' reserves were too high.

Then, there is the concept of materiality. Tesla may be able to persuade its auditors that any costs associated with this lawsuit are immaterial. Without knowing the facts and quantity of cars affected, we can only guess.

So, this should be higher on your list, Omar! :)

He's referring to a single case where someone had a P85+ battery fail with the "charge limit reduced" error and got a 14-module version of the 100 pack instead of a 85/90 replacement. It's wild conjecture, but it is possible they might make more of those batteries and if the old 16 module 85/90 packs all have the same design flaw it means Tesla is going to have a big recall floodgate coming sooner or later.

They didn't invent that pack type for no reason at all, though. It's only the fourth unique battery architecture Tesla has ever put in a Model S, there's probably a reason they created something new and have only used it for warranty replacement in one car. He's probably having his volts and logs checked every day by Tesla devs looking for signs of whatever fault they are still hiding from us behind batterygate.

Reread where you found them talking about that. They never mention degradation, not once. They discuss fires the entire time. Fire was the only reason they released that statement at all, it was a single topic press release and "Longevity" refers to batteries that are not burned out husks
That's your interpretation. I interpret longevity in a broader sense, i.e. cycle life and calendar life.

Reactions: bhzmark and MP3Mike
I'm not interpreting or speculating it's plain English and Tesla's official explanation. I posted the press statement it's impossible to miss. It only discusses fire concerns. One has to imagine anything else.

I agree with you and Tesla, burning batteries lack longevity. That's definitely true.

MP3mike read this post

Last edited:
We're all speculating and interpreting here.

Not at all. Nothing new since it happened here multiple times, some just refuse to accept the facts as we know them, even when the evidence are presented, and keep bringing in 'that's how I interpret it'. One's own interpretation stops when the facts are presented. That's the way I see it.

The voltage capping is due to the fire incidents (the facts). "Longevity" is the corporate PR bit to soften the gravity of the root cause.

Last edited:
"Longevity" is the corporate PR bit to soften the gravity of the root cause.

And not ever Tesla's PR team tried to claim it had anything to do with degradation. It was always fires that prompted the investigation into battery problems and "revised charge" (batterygate) "and thermal" (chargegate. Tesla says it and they weren't lying at that point. They only started lying later, probably after someone on their legal team brought up the criminal implications of not doing anything to inform owners or authorities. "Degradation" was some random person here throwing conjecture around with nothing to back it.

As long as people are throwing random conjecture around, why do you suppose Tesla has gone through like 4 General Counsel hires in the last year? What could scare away so many high end lawyers quickly?

Sorry, but I prefer to remain anonymous so I will not be sharing details about my cars that could be used to identify me or my vehicles. (I don't share my Tesla referral code with people I don't personally know either.)

And I don't know my cell voltage as I don't have any Android/iOS devices, or the dongle, to run the necessary software. (And I'm not concerned enough to bother to borrow the stuff.)
This seems to be a red herring excuse and deflection. none of the details he asked for could be used to identify you. On the other hand, they could be used to establish credibility and an atmosphere for constructive conversation.

This seems to be a red herring excuse and deflection. none of the details he asked for could be used to identify you.

You obviously have never done work on re-identifying de-identified data before.

On the other hand, they could be used to establish credibility and an atmosphere for constructive conversation.

And I could make up and post any reasonable looking numbers and you would have no way to verify them. So it wouldn't add any credibility to the conversation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
TBH, we don't have the basis to judge the time frame. There is a lot that needs to happen and many of the steps may have an indeterminate timeframe:
  1. Awareness a problem exists (assume this is the parked car fires)
  2. Figure out what happened - what was the failure mode
  3. Develop, test and implement quick fix (SW update 16.x) -- this is the "fail safe"
  4. Refine understanding of the root cause and failure modes
  5. Develop, validate and deploy diagnostic testing for results for #4 (the infamous HV diagnostics just rolled out)
  6. Develop and validate solution, first in-house then canary test with with small group of owners
  7. Use the data from #5 to see if they can ease up on the restriction implemented in #3 - move from a shotgun to a rifle -- this eases up pressure on the subsequent steps
  8. Develop replacement policy--because there are constraints with supply of replacement packs and resources at the service center (and maybe desire to avoid having a spike of warranty costs tank quarterly results), they need to figure out how to triage cars: at what point do we consider a pack flipped from ill to terminally ill, who gets priority, etc
  9. Create and ramp supply chain (if needed)
  10. Train service center on process and procedures
  11. Wide deployment
It seems like we are around step 6.
this is a great story except that if it is a series of steps to resolve a safety issue all of it is illegal from the get go.

I had a period of charging to 75%, range stayed pretty constant with 2019.36.2.7, then 2019.40.2.3 came along and the range started dropping ! And hasn't stopped !.. I'm almost at the same range I was after the 2019.16.2 update ! :(.. and have rarely supercharged since.. not happy :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200129-232904_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200129-232904_Samsung Internet.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20200129-233540_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200129-233540_Samsung Internet.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 47