Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, but this is not the main reason for the EoCV reduction, charging power reduction and the changes in thermal management.

Simplified you can consider a cell with a li-plated anode as overcharged at 4,2V! This state results in heat production inside the cell and further cathode and electrolyte degradation. The risk for a thermal runaway of a complete block of cells is then much higher than the risk from randomly occuring shorts by dendrites and may not be stopped by the cooling system neither the electrical and thermal propagation protection.

Li-plating results from the fact that Tesla was/is using inappropiate electrical and thermal charging parameters for the given cells.

Or in other words: If they'd applied the parameters they are using now, your batteries would be in better condition now, but on the other hand you'd never have enjoyed the range and/or the charging speed you did more than a year ago and maybe would have complained about high preheating losses.

Imho Tesla in general tends to overstating and designing above safe operation limits.

Thanks for your input, and for pointing out these issues LOOONG before this thread, or batterygate, or chargegate, and Tesla's manipulation of the cars, existed.

Here is my battery report. I guess I'm the only one on Teslafi that has that many miles :)

You can see the sudden drop when the software voltage capped my battery pack. But you can also clearly see the degradation being accelerated since then. I don't have an explanation for it. If anything, the software limitations and pother measures should make the battery last longer. But the opposite is happening.

Also, last week I got three different and independent indications that the issue is indeed dendrites. I was advised (not by Tesla but someone who just is very knowledgeable with Lithium batteries) not to park my car in the garage.

batter6-2020s.png

David99: I think your battery pack was already too far gone for Band-Aid fixes to be effective. It’s bleeding to death.

Oddly though I didn't get voltage capped until after many others dipsite having the highest mileage. But yes it's going down. This graph actually makes it look better than it really is. Because of the excessive cooling and other issues, I can drive less miles than what the capacity suggests. All these other things and losses reduce my actual range. I'm running at less than 70% of it's original range.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just what audience are you speaking to?

You want us here with the problem to be satisfied? Seriously?

Then why don't you go advocate with Tesla on our behalf to FIX THIS!

If you want the truth why aren't you demanding it from Tesla? They are the ones sitting in it.

It looks rather that you are posting to undermine our situation, casting our concerns as "nonsense" to others who may come across the thread, particularly maybe the press.

How is it possible you've completely misread my posts and intentions? Where did I say your concerns were "nonsense"? How is my questioning the certainty of one theory undermining anything? I've never said anything to undermine the valid concerns of affected owners.
I'll be as clear as possible:
Anyone with greater than expected range loss, charge throttling, and/or reduced regen has a legitimate complaint that Tesla should be addressing. I've never said otherwise.

Also, last week I got three different and independent indications that the issue is indeed dendrites. I was advised (not by Tesla but someone who just is very knowledgeable with Lithium batteries) not to park my car in the garage.
Most people heard of dendrites and do think shorts between the electrodes provoque the fire of a battery pack. Maybe its worth looking a little deeper into the propagation protection of your battery:

Every cell in your battery is part of a block of 74 parallel cells. All cells have a CID, a blow-off valve which opens at ~34bar and are mounted with a mechanical distance from the others. These four things are the basic part of the propagation protection.

If a dentride causes an internal short, the most probable thing to happen is that its blown away by the occuring current. If the short ist too intense the CID will open and separate the cell electrically from the others. Even if this cell will onset and have a thermal runaway it will not affect others from the block and what is very important, the voltage over the the cell or the opened CID will not rise above the the voltage of the block.

Excactly like this Tesla will tell you if you will mention 'dendrites' and not 'Li-plating' (even if the 2 things are related). In a lawsuit key words matter!
Thats why i posted again.

Last edited:
How is it possible you've completely misread my posts and intentions? Where did I say your concerns were "nonsense"? How is my questioning the certainty of one theory undermining anything? I've never said anything to undermine the valid concerns of affected owners.
I'll be as clear as possible:
Anyone with greater than expected range loss, charge throttling, and/or reduced regen has a legitimate complaint that Tesla should be addressing. I've never said otherwise.
Frankly, I think YOU need to reread your posts.

Most people heard of dendrites and do think shorts between the electrodes provoque the fire of a battery pack. Maybe its worth looking a little deeper into the propagation protection of your battery:

Every cell in your battery is part of a block of 74 parallel cells. All cells have a CID, a blow-off valve which opens at ~34bar and are mounted with a mechanical distance from the others. These four things are the basic part of the propagation protection.

If a dentride causes an internal short, the most probable thing to happen is that its blown away by the occuring current. If the short ist too intense the CID will open and separate the cell electrically from the others. Even if this cell will onset and have a thermal runaway it will not affect others from the block and what is very important, the voltage over the the cell or the opened CID will not rise above the the voltage of the block.

Excactly like this Tesla will tell you if you will mention 'dendrites' and not 'Li-plating' (even if the 2 things are related). In a lawsuit key words matter!

I don't know enough to use the right technical term. Does plating also cause shorts? Sorry if you answered this before. I'll try to go back in the discussion and see what I can find.

Hi IngTH,
I have been postponing the installation of a pending software since middle of last year, and would like to hear your opinion on if I should install it and take whatever comes with the upgrade such as batterygate and chargegate? I’m guessing the inconvenience of being capped, etc. is preferred over my car catching on fire.
Currently on 2019.16.1.1

II have been postponing the installation of a pending software since middle of last year, and would like to hear your opinion on if I should install it and take whatever comes with the upgrade such as batterygate and chargegate?
As a P owner you may preheat the battery manually to ~112 degrees before supercharging in cold condition. And to be on the safe side, better don't park the car with > 80% SoC in your garage.

Hi IngTH,
I have been postponing the installation of a pending software since middle of last year, and would like to hear your opinion on if I should install it and take whatever comes with the upgrade such as batterygate and chargegate? I’m guessing the inconvenience of being capped, etc. is preferred over my car catching on fire.
Currently on 2019.16.1.1

Some update mentioned improved battery diagnostics in the description. Some owners here have reported gaining some range back with newer software. I believe Tesla is trying to fine tune their battery diagnostics with each software update and some are lucky to get some range back.

Some update mentioned improved battery diagnostics in the description. Some owners here have reported gaining some range back with newer software. I believe Tesla is trying to fine tune their battery diagnostics with each software update and some are lucky to get some range back.

That's not conclusive, David. The reported range gain, here and there if any, it's only few miles (4 or 5) which you would get usually due to temperature, etc. The gain if any has been negligible and inconsistent by only losing it shortly after. Nothing close to the to ~12% sudden range loss of 2019.16.1+.