Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if there is any hard evidence for this, but I've read speculation that CAN busses could be encrypted or otherwise made unreadable. Imagine where this thread would be without SMT etc.

One really important outcome from lawsuit would be an obligation to ensure all vehicle internal busses to at least remain readable.
Aren't they already fiddling with it? For about 5 months now I can't get accurate readings on my MX on 10.1, but my MS on 8.1 still reads accurately.

Aren't they already fiddling with it? For about 5 months now I can't get accurate readings on my MX on 10.1, but my MS on 8.1 still reads accurately.

Not sure if this relates to your issue, but I believe there are changes in CAN messages from time to time, either to deal with a new requirement or to frustrate 3rd party developers.

However, I was reading that in future, Tesla could encrypt CAN traffic making it unreadable.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Apple now has a menu that shows exact degradation % and a battery replacement program. Their lawsuit helped them become a better company. Tesla should take some lessons from companies that have already been through all this, denial, dishonesty, and cover-ups are the worst decisions they could be making here. I don't know if Apple has fire prone batteries but their crippling is otherwise the same, and Teslas insistence that only way out of batterygate is for me to buy a new car sounds a lot like the language that Apple used to prove its guilt.

Apple now has a menu that shows exact degradation % and a battery replacement program. Their lawsuit helped them become a better company. Tesla should take some lessons from companies that have already been through all this, denial, dishonesty, and cover-ups are the worst decisions they could be making here. I don't know if Apple has fire prone batteries but their crippling is otherwise the same, and Teslas insistence that only way out of batterygate is for me to buy a new car sounds a lot like the language that Apple used to prove its guilt.
I am still waiting for the FIRST step: Admit what you did and who you did it to.

Yup

upload_2020-12-24_19-6-41.png

This Gruber Motors video is interesting

Mentions that a small component on the module board caused this pack to go down. Kind of sounds like something @wk057 mentioned earlier. (That there are tons of MOSFETs on these boards).

Although it is interesting that the refreshed S is supposedly out of warranty, unless that wasn't the actual car they're talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and JRP3
Maybe a different rev BMS board, but something like this: (very similar)
Screenshot_20201226_222244.jpg

Not sure why 3 components though unless 3 different balancing chanals effected - L7 removed? Can't really make out what it is and can't clearly see removed component pad on BMS board.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201226_222244.jpg
    Screenshot_20201226_222244.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Screenshot_20201226_222647_com.opera.browser.jpg

(image to show BMS board revision)

Looks like this part is slightly discolored?

View attachment 621297

Hard to tell what part that is and where it came from.

Do you think it is L7 on the closeup I posted?

Without knowing what error(s) this car gave, we can't really even wishfully link this to fires or chargegate / batterygate. But those could be inductors that go open circuit and stop one of the bricks from balancing or throw some other BMS error. It did seem quite likely (based on Jason) that a BMS board component failure such as this appears to be a possible cause of battery pack failure.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Do you think it is L7 on the closeup I posted?

Without knowing what error(s) this car gave, we can't really even wishfully link this to fires or chargegate / batterygate. But those could be inductors that go open circuit and stop one of the bricks from balancing. It did seem quite likely (based on Jason) that a BMS board component failure such as this appears to be a possible cause of battery pack failure.

Ah yeah now I see what part the snippet is. Yes, it does appear to be L7 which was removed. Looks like R1 and R2 are also unpopulated.

Did you find documentation on what that part of the board does? You're sure they're the bleed resistors? And some inductor related to that circuit?

But yeah you're right that we can't say this is related. Just definitely interesting, and also shows how small of a component can make the whole pack unusable.

Really too bad Jason was driven off this forum.

I have the circuit diagram somewhere. 'L' signified inductor in my experience, and it might do nothing more than filter some ac component from the BMS circuit, (guess), but often inductors are a 'series' component, so if they fail open circuit they effectively disconnect part of the circuit.

Dead right about a few cents to fix 20k worth. A truly 'high integrity' sustainable business model would not allow this kind of fault to saddle the owner with a 20k repair bill. (although we don't know what Tesla would have charged to fix).

I'll have a look for the diagram.

[edit: found the incomplete diagram I was thinking of, and it doesn't include those components.]

Last edited: