Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
628.jpg

I have read the replies to the original post. Unless this has happened to you, it is easy to put the blame on the driver.
My wife and I have owned our Model 3 for 6 months. She drives it as much as I do. She has NEVER had an accident in her 30 years of driving. As with many, she was slowly pulling into a parking spot. She was utilizing the creep function, not putting her foot on anything as you do with these cars. She was about to put her foot on the brake to fully stop the car when it suddenly accelerated, drove over the parking curb, through a chain link fence, and into 2 parked cars. Thank God nobody was hurt. It happened so fast. She wasn't distracted, had nothing to drink and knows how to drive a Tesla.

I know that this will elicit "this is total BS, it is driver error, there is no way these cars do this, etc, etc." Hey, I love this car but all I can think is what if my kids had been standing in front of the car? On autopilot, it has done some screwy things, but I love autopilot for the most part. At this point, I'm selling it. Ok, now everyone tell me how stupid I am to post this, etc. I'm glad this doesn't happen very often, but for us, once is enough.

As is ALWAYS the case, no, you're absolutely wrong. @wk057 has explained in detail why you're wrong. It's pretty obvious, and pointed out already by another poster, that your wife made a mistake and had her foot over the wrong peddle and was pressing the go button when she meant to press the stop button. Your wife simply doesn't want to admit her error out of pride. Okay, fine, but that doesn't change the reality... You can dispense with the "what if my kids" crap as well... Personal responsibility, try it on for size...

So yes, "this is total BS, it is driver error, there is now ay these cars do this, etc, etc."...

Jeff

The last time was the real one, driving on my street at 15 mph and a sudden burst of acceleration when my foot was lifting off using regeneration

When you start driving the car and every time for some reason there is no regen, all EV drivers who are so much used to regen will feel as if the car is accelerating when they lift their foot off the gas pedal. EV drivers expect the car to slow down when they take the foot of the pedal, and when it doesn't it gives an uneasy accelerating feeling.

Not saying thats what you experienced..

driving on my street at 15 mph and a sudden burst of acceleration when my foot was lifting off using regeneration, I hit the brakes and stopped without an issue, acceleration was not drastic BUT I know that I did not hit the accelerator ...but I hit the brakes and everything worked as intended so....?

...when at approx. 15 mph the car accelerates as if I had depressed the pedal a bit, not floored or anything like that, it did not concern me a lot because i caught it so fast, the brakes worked fine and it went away immediately, I have not experienced it since, the car has 18,500 miles on it and it appeared to be a one off thing, it was a very weird feeling though for a very brief moment.

...I did not feel it but it is still possible, I guess it would accelerate to the speed limit of the street if that happened and that would explain it.
My underline emphasis added...

All of this sounds like unintended TACC activation. And I speak from experience because it has happened to me! I was in a parking lot going about 7 mph when I bumped the TACC stalk down. The road next to the parking lot has a 35 mph limit, and TACC instantly tried to get me there in a packed, tight lot. It was a sudden acceleration, but not "floored" as you say. It was in fact, just like when TACC is applied below the speed limit. Like you, I quickly and calmly applied the brakes to solve it. Then I unclenched and assessed what happened. I realized that I'd hit the stalk.

By definition it was certainly "unintended acceleration." But it did not mysteriously happen, and has a logical, and avoidable explanation. I still say that no sort of cruise control should accelerate the car instantly from the point of engagement, but the car did not mysteriously accelerate on its own. Because of the TACC design that I don't like and I feel is stupidly dangerous... I inadvertently told it to accelerate to the speed limit of the road nearest to me.

Until such a time that a single instance of unexplainable UA can be proven, I just can't entertain that the cars are possessed. Those of us who find the brake pedal escape with nothing but a bruised ego. Those who don't find the brake pedal don't have such a good result.

Last edited:
It's about to get tougher. Making claims of potentially disastrous behavior and then saying you didn't follow up is libelous. Go away !
I gave my explanation of what I experienced, I was also made aware that I may have inadvertently engaged TACC which would give an explanation for what I experienced and that is something I never considered, I also stated it was mild and did not alarm me to the point of worrying, maybe you should sue me for my libelous comment as your obviously some arrogant attorney who makes his living off of others misfortunes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
My underline emphasis added...

All of this sounds like unintended TACC activation. And I speak from experience because it has happened to me! I was in a parking lot going about 7 mph when I bumped the TACC stalk down. The road next to the parking lot has a 35 mph limit, and TACC instantly tried to get me there in a packed, tight lot. It was a sudden acceleration, but not "floored" as you say. It was in fact, just like when TACC is applied below the speed limit. Like you, I quickly and calmly applied the brakes to solve it. Then I unclenched and assessed what happened. I realized that I'd hit the stalk.

By definition it was certainly "unintended acceleration." But it did not mysteriously happen, and has a logical, and avoidable explanation. I still say that no sort of cruise control should accelerate the car instantly from the point of engagement, but the car did not mysteriously accelerate on its own. Because of the TACC design that I don't like and feel is dangerous... I inadvertently told it to accelerate to the speed limit of the road nearest to me.

Until such a time that a single instance of unexplainable UA can be proven, I just can't entertain that the cars are possessed. Those of us who find the brake pedal escape with nothing but a bruised ego. Those who don't eventually find the brake pedal don't have such a good result.
This seems likely the case the more I think about it as this makes the most sense, I could not tell that I more than likely tapped the stalk at the time so I came to the conclusion that it was not me but it definitely makes much more sense that I brushed the stalk just enough to engage TACC as the speed limit was 25 and I was traveling about 15