Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems likely the case the more I think about it as this makes the most sense, I could not tell that I more than likely tapped the stalk at the time so I came to the conclusion that it was not me but it definitely makes much more sense that I brushed the stalk just enough to engage TACC as the speed limit was 25 and I was traveling about 15

Sure sounds like it to me. And I'm glad that you quickly found the answer: Apply the brakes.

I gave my explanation of what I experienced, I was also made aware that I may have inadvertently engaged TACC which would give an explanation for what I experienced and that is something I never considered, I also stated it was mild and did not alarm me to the point of worrying, maybe you should sue me or just go away yourself or try reading all the posts where I stated it could have been my fault you arrogant ass!
You posted under a thread of "Sudden Unintended Acceleration today" in post #506 in the second paragraph claimed that you had a "real one". Claims like this have damaged manufacturers by billions of dollars. No scientific or engineering examination has confirmed that these are possible aside from jammed mats and you had one of them also. Toyota settled a case instead of risking American juries even though their systems were examined and found to be incapable of true unintended acceleration. Audi lost enormous amounts in the '80's.
You say you don't care if anyone believes you but you have posted this on a widely read forum. I hope you care if Tesla sues you for every cent you've got.

You posted under a thread of "Sudden Unintended Acceleration today" in post #506 in the second paragraph claimed that you had a "real one". Claims like this have damaged manufacturers by billions of dollars. No scientific or engineering examination has confirmed that these are possible aside from jammed mats and you had one of them also. Toyota settled a case instead of risking American juries even though their systems were examined and found to be incapable of true unintended acceleration. Audi lost enormous amounts in the '80's.
You say you don't care if anyone believes you but you have posted this on a widely read forum. I hope you care if Tesla sues you for every cent you've got.
Time to switch to decaf...

Mr. @lolder, This is Mr. Reginald Phineas Dewey Esq. for the firm Dewey, Chetum and Howe, maybe you have heard of us as our stellar reputation precedes us.
Our firm will be representing mr. @gilscales in the matter since your malicious accusation of Libel and henceforth all communications regarding our client shall be through our firm.

On March 3, 2019 post #535 made at 8:51 P.S.T. you stated that my client made "Libelous claims" about a "potentially disastrous behavior" and then told him to "Go away!"

It is my clients claim that you did not read ALL of the posts before yours.

Post #506 did in fact claim a "Real" unintended acceleration and at that time of said post my client did in fact believe that is what he experienced and therefore it was a "Real" unintended acceleration to him.

Post #507 points out that it could have been a regen braking fail

Post #511 has my client denying that possibility

Post #513 ask if logs were obtained

Post #515 has my client acknowledging that no logs were obtained simply because he was not that concerned and had not thought of that at the time.

Post #532 points out that making a right sweeping turn could in fact have activated TACC if my client had hit the stalk

Post #533 has my client admitting that this is something he had not thought about and admits it is a possibility

Post #534 has mentioned that this happened to him on more than one occasion and my client "liked" that post further admitting that this is a possibility.

This is where you come in with your accusation of Libel And since you have already filed a lawsuit to that effect then my client wishes to file a countersuit, I may have talked my client off the ledge here and saved you a good deal of legal fees in the process as he has agreed to drop the countersuit citing extraneous circumstances to the effect that since you were obviously under duress from said large wooden cylindrical object that may have been inserted to deeply into the rectal area.

Good day sir,
Mr. Reginald Phineas Dewey Esq.
Dewey, Chetum and Howe

Last edited:
Ok, now everyone tell me how stupid I am to post this, etc. I'm glad this doesn't happen very often, but for us, once is enough.

The simple truth is that no evidence that there is some kind of flaw in the car is available. There is no documented case of SUA that says 'Yeah the car ****ed up here'. Evidence is just not there.

IMHO the part in your story goes wrong at this point: "She was about to put her foot on the brake to fully stop the car when it suddenly accelerated". That sounds to me like she accidentally pressed the wrong pedal right there.

My two cents: the only unintended pedal action I ever experienced up to now has been when I had to switch to a car with an automatic after having driven stickshifts for a long time. I then sometimes slammed on the brake with my left foot, thinking I was pressing the clutch pedal. Thankfully, the effect tends to be so shocking that you never do this a second time soon.

Now with our e-Golf I never had anything like that, even when switching between it and the stickshift BMW quite frequently. Then again, once our Model 3 has been delivered, this whole subject will hopefully become moot anyway.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I have read the replies to the original post. Unless this has happened to you, it is easy to put the blame on the driver.

largely because virtually every case ever investigated turned out to be operator/owner error- usually hitting the wrong pedal- or in Teslas engaging TACC without realizing they're doing so.

The few exceptions I know of were errors of things like a shop putting the wrong size floor mats in the car. (the famous Lexus accident- where the shop put SUV mats in a sedan which engaged the pedal- though they'd still have been fine if the driver knew how to use brakes correctly, or turn the engine off).

What I have not seen evidence of, ever, is the actual car malfunctioning to cause such an issue.

All of this sounds like unintended TACC activation. And I speak from experience because it has happened to me! I was in a parking lot going about 7 mph when I bumped the TACC stalk down. The road next to the parking lot has a 35 mph limit, and TACC instantly tried to get me there in a packed, tight lot. .... I still say that no sort of cruise control should accelerate the car instantly from the point of engagement, but the car did not mysteriously accelerate on its own. Because of the TACC design that I don't like and I feel is stupidly dangerous... I inadvertently told it to accelerate to the speed limit of the road nearest to me.

Yup.

Personally my "fix" for this is setting the largest negative offset allowed for TACC- this way it virtually always engages at your current speed, instead of trying to jump to whatever it thinks the "current' speed limit is- then you can always, easily, accelerate from current speed with the scroll wheel if desired.

I believe TACC will not activate unless 1) going above 18mph or 2) it is locked on the car ahead.

The first case is similar to most cars. I’d need to experiment a bit and see if it is really 18. I know it won’t engage at 5mph.

The second case, locked on the car in front, could be risky if it locks to a car in a parking lot that subsequently parks or moves out of the way.

The other possibility is someone has TACC engaged at a slow speed and turns in such a way the road becomes clear ahead.

• Informative
I believe TACC will not activate unless 1) going above 18mph or 2) it is locked on the car ahead.

The first case is similar to most cars. I’d need to experiment a bit and see if it is really 18. I know it won’t engage at 5mph.

The second case, locked on the car in front, could be risky if it locks to a car in a parking lot that subsequently parks or moves out of the way.

The other possibility is someone has TACC engaged at a slow speed and turns in such a way the road becomes clear ahead.
You can engage TACC if the car is stopped as well.

Personally my "fix" for this is setting the largest negative offset allowed for TACC- this way it virtually always engages at your current speed, instead of trying to jump to whatever it thinks the "current' speed limit is- then you can always, easily, accelerate from current speed with the scroll wheel if desired.
I like to pretend that I was one of the first to notice when this "negative offset" became available after an update. I've been using it with max negative offset ever since (notice that subsequent updates have reset it to zero! Yet another crazy surprise). But it isn't a fix, of course. Because while it may "virtually always" engage at current speed.... it sure doesn't when you are in a parking lot next to a high-speed road. And that's what recently happened to me as I've noted. (And then there's the unexpected reset thing).

So yeah. It is a reasonable work-around. But man! Why? Dangerous for everybody, and a convenience for others to make sure that they're going as fast as they can as soon as they can.

Last edited:

I can't claim that I know the exact details of my recent, exciting situation... but at some point I suppose I could go test it in the same location. I sure wasn't going anywhere near 18 mph when my TACC engaged. I was in a *full* busy parking lot with cars all around me parked and moving. I was easing around a turn, around a pod of parked cars with no clear line of sight. I had light pressure on the accelerator pedal, and I couldn't have been going more than fast walking speed when I hit the Toyota-spec wiper stalk (the TACC activator in the Tesla). And woosh, I was off to the races. All of my attention at that point was on stopping the car. After coming to a stop (didn't travel more than a few feet, but of course that feels like a long distance when it surprises you!). It occurs to me now that there is no chime for TACC engagement, is there? I was just trying to recall if I heard a chime....

So. Yeah. There is definitely a way to engage at low speed when in a parking lot. I know that I've done it!

And I'll keep saying it. No Cruise Control should accelerate you automatically at the moment the system is set. And *especially* when it is this easy to inadvertently set.

They should definitely make the TACC engage at the current speed if there's no one in front of you. I tried engaging it on the snow a couple times in a 65 while going 30 mph and it instantly started spinning all four wheels. I couldn't spin the right knob fast enough to slow it down before it disabled itself (which is probably a good feature!). I like the higher set speed for my commute since it tends to start at about 50mph and then traffic clears.

Reactions: Big Earl
They should definitely make the TACC engage at the current speed if there's no one in front of you. I tried engaging it on the snow a couple times in a 65 while going 30 mph and it instantly started spinning all four wheels. I couldn't spin the right knob fast enough to slow it down before it disabled itself (which is probably a good feature!). I like the higher set speed for my commute since it tends to start at about 50mph and then traffic clears.
I vote that it should *always* set at current speed. And for anybody who wishes to set it higher, you may spin the thumb wheel up at your leisure. Doesn't that make the most sense without a big hassle, and remove the biggest danger? Then it is consistent and does NOT depend on what the car thinks is the current (or nearby!) speed limit.

I vote that it should *always* set at current speed. And for anybody who wishes to set it higher, you may spin the thumb wheel up at your leisure. Doesn't that make the most sense without a big hassle, and remove the biggest danger? Then it is consistent and does NOT depend on what the car thinks is the current (or nearby!) speed limit.
Sure that would be safer but less convenient. They could also put some sort filter on TACC acceleration. It's ridiculous how fast it tries to accelerate and close gaps. If I want to drive aggressively I'll do it myself.

I tried engaging it on the snow a couple times in a 65 while going 30 mph and it instantly started spinning all four wheels. I couldn't spin the right knob fast enough to slow it down before it disabled itself (which is probably a good feature!).
Instead of using the scroll wheels, it is probably faster to just push the stalk up to turn TACC back off or use the brake pedal.

Another suggestion might be to wait and turn TACC on when you are close to the desired speed. In my previous car, if I pushed resume at 30, it would resume to 65, so I would only resume when I was actually close to the previously set speed.

Last edited:
Sure that would be safer but less convenient. They could also put some sort filter on TACC acceleration. It's ridiculous how fast it tries to accelerate and close gaps. If I want to drive aggressively I'll do it myself.
That amount of acceleration is of course merely a design decision. Heck they could make it accelerate a lot harder than that still! And I agree... much too aggressive. It also needs to be smoothed/delayed. When I'm following a car that's setting my speed, it hunts around for that good follow distance WAY too much... and it does it all too aggressively. Indeed, it turns out that I'm still a much better driver that AP and TACC... provided nothing jumps out in front of my while I'm napping. But that's for another complaint thread. :)