Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I give test drives to friends and neighbours they are amazed at the one foot control for acceleration and regen braking. One foot control for parking has been learned already by most drivers so creep ON needs to be the default, in my opinion. Creep was the first parameter that I set to help my wife and kids when they drive the Model S.

Of interest was one test driver who learned to use both feet (one on brake and one on accelerator). It was his way of driving for decades but the Model S complained to him with warning messages, so maybe parking without creep mode ON should be the same.

As insane as it sounds, the number of UA accidents can be reduced by training.

When you are getting your pilot's license, it is not uncommon for the instructor to shut off your fuel after distracting you to see if you freeze up when the engine dies. Or when they do live fire exercises training soldiers to see if they freeze up.

What if during driver's training, the instructor pushes a button and the cars goes WOT. Then sees how you react. After a couple of those, you will end up with traumatic muscle memory. You don't freeze up when you're being burned and you won't freeze up anymore when the car goes WOT unexpectedly.

I agreed with most reply so far. I'm not with Tesla or with the driver side. Here is what I see for facts

in the past 3 years about 5 cases or more have been reported and every time = driver error

not one case have proven that the car both MS or MX have been at fault. I'm going with facts here now. I'm sorry about the accident. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: brkaus
I modified my post to read "from a standstill (or nearly so)". One could put enough circumstances on it to avoid any but the intended constraint. Can you think of a scenario where one would want rapid acceleration from a standstill (or nearly so) when sensors detect a large object less than 20 feet away and directly in front of the vehicle?

- sitting in train tracks, the Fiat 500 very close in front of you stalled. Need to push out of way. Train is coming.

- burning building and the parking gate is down

- trying to film dukes of hazard type stunt and drive through a barn wall.

- object on road is confusing the radar.

I personally experienced user error generated acceleration. Like most other reported cases it happened when I was transitioning from driving to parking. Fortunately I hadn't made the final turn into a parking space and just rocketed down the isle. That gave me enough time to have a quick thought to "check the pedals dummy!" I lifted my foot for a split second and sure enough, I slowed down. I was pressing the wrong pedal. At the time, though, I would have sworn on my life that I was pressing the brake.

I use two feet when navigating tight spaces. It saves the time it takes to switch pedals. When rock crawling off-road, this is a necessity as well. I know some people feel that 2-foot driving is not as safe, but I disagree and have a lot of experience to back up my opinion. :) Safely hitching up to a trailer and driving my tractor both require 2-foot driving to be safe as well. In fact, 1-foot driving a tractor isn't even a possibility unless you're a contortionist. :D Try stopping an ATV or motorcycle with only your throttle hand and you'll soon find yourself maimed or dead too. So why people think a passenger vehicle only requires one foot to drive safely is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:
This reminds me of this thread, Tesla Upper Control Arm CRACKED, where the OP attempted to blame Tesla for a flaw when the evidence (bent arm, bent wheels) clearly indicated prior pothole or suspension trauma. Tesla wouldn't play along, but once his insurance agreed to pick up the repair costs, he disappeared. Not saying the OP here is doing the same thing, but I think if his real goal is to extract logs rather than put pressure on Tesla to cough up some dough or gratis repair, then he already has the path to that via wk047, but I don't think he will like the results.....

This case has been putting through legal process.

Something to keep in mind if your insurance thought there was a reasonable chance that the car was at fault and not you they would go after Tesla to recover the repair costs. I have never heard of an insurance company going after Tesla because of a SUA event. Probably because they see so many SUA events that they know that it is 99.9% likely that the driver is at fault. (Especially on newer cars with electronic accelerator pedals.)

Reactions: bhzmark
It is interesting to hear that there are two sensors for accelerator position which is something I have always wondered about (just because the logs say the accelerator was or wasn't pressed doesn't mean it was accurate data... it now is clear it is accurate).

I fancy myself a very good driver, with 25 years of a perfect record (never been in an accident, avoided quite a few that would not have been my fault, and having never caused one). I had a negative opinion of somebody "incompetent" enough to hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Well just the other day, going down my steep and windy driveway in my MS, I definitely hit the accelerator instead of the brake. In my P85D w/ Ludicrous let's just say that it was a shocking experience. I was able to hit the brake quick enough to not go off the road, but it was close and it was an eye-opening experience that it could really happen to anybody.

I need to check to see if my car has the "Chill" mode, but really we should all think about using that any time we aren't being fully attentive to what we are doing. Or for times like when you are parking. Wouldn't it be cool if you could configure the MS to enable Chill when arriving home or to work, and then return to Ludicrous when leaving? Or perhaps in the future it could know when you were in a parking lot versus when you were on a street and it could optionally auto-enable Chill mode?

I wrote:

Can you think of a scenario where one would want rapid acceleration from a standstill (or nearly so) when sensors detect a large object less than 20 feet away and directly in front of the vehicle?

And the responses were:

to prevent a car jacking

- sitting in train tracks, the Fiat 500 very close in front of you stalled. Need to push out of way. Train is coming.

- burning building and the parking gate is down

- trying to film dukes of hazard type stunt and drive through a barn wall.

I think these examples are kind of silly, presenting scenarios that are so rare and unlikely that the vast majority of people will never experience them in their lifetimes; whereas pedal confusion is a common phenomenon, which is most often inconsequential, but sometimes causes substantial property damage. It happens less often with an ICE (statistically; we've heard at least separate 4 accounts in this thread alone) because of the lag between pressing the accelerator and the car responding, all the while with the racing engine providing an audible clue that the car is about to move increasingly faster. In a Tesla, it happens faster than a person can respond with no audible clue preceding it.

Is it even worth saying that, while accelerating into a wall might indeed prevent a carjacking, it might be better to let them take your car? And, if a train is coming, and your way out is blocked, get the hell out of your car--fast.

Furthermore, none of the examples above require rapid acceleration. I didn't say that the car should be prevented from moving--only to "ignore or greatly reduce high acceleration from a standstill (or nearly so)".

Last edited:
@kirkbauer. I had the same experience. Never an issue driving for 25 years and no understanding of how anyone could possible mess up the pedals until it happened to me while parking my new MX90DL. Pretty scary but no damage. I am willing to bet that it had happened other times as well in other cars I've driven but their much longer lags and lower torques meant that I could fix the issue without really thinking much about it.

I wrote:

And the responses were:

I think these examples are kind of silly, presenting scenarios that are so rare and unlikely that the vast majority of people will never experience them in their lifetimes; whereas pedal confusion is a common phenomenon, which is most often inconsequential, but sometimes causes substantial property damage. It happens less often with an ICE (statistically; we've heard at least separate 4 accounts in this thread alone) because of the lag between pressing the accelerator and the car responding, all the while with the racing engine providing an audible clue that the car is about to move increasingly faster. In a Tesla, it happens faster than a person can respond with no audible clue preceding it.

Is it even worth saying that, while accelerating into a wall might indeed prevent a carjacking, it might be better to let them take your car? And, if a train is coming, and your way out is blocked, get the hell out of your car--fast.

Furthermore, none of the examples above require rapid acceleration. I didn't say that the car should be prevented from moving--only to "ignore or greatly reduce high acceleration from a standstill (or nearly so)".

OP ‘only’ applied 18% throttle. Based on the damage, they did not hit the wall fast. 72% reduction would not have avoided this result.

Reactions: jepicken