Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Danger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nissan LEAF also parked in my garage and it's rather tight. I've given up on trying to summon the Model S out. It consistently starts turning towards the LEAF and would collide on the side if I let it go(it's come within <1 inch before I stopped it before). I do occasionally find summon useful, but usually only for adjusting my parking position after the fact when parallel parked.

It would be interesting to see if some authority forced Tesla to disable anything in their cars labeled as "beta" how much of the current claimed capability would remain. Surely just because they can't guarantee that everything works always that doesn't imply they're unable to guarantee that anything works always.

We are going to name our next child Beta so they can't be blamed for anything and will have no responsibility for anything :D

• Funny
Reactions: KyleDay and RAW84
I have a Nissan LEAF also parked in my garage and it's rather tight. I've given up on trying to summon the Model S out. It consistently starts turning towards the LEAF and would collide on the side if I let it go(it's come within <1 inch before I stopped it before). I do occasionally find summon useful, but usually only for adjusting my parking position after the fact when parallel parked.

Your Model S wants the Leaf replaced with a Tesla :p

beta....really intends to say the feature is not intended to be used in critical or life-and-death situations

So, I would say operating a motor vehicle at highway speeds is a critical and a potentially life or death situation (considering how many people die doing it every year). Autosteer being in Beta is an interesting case, since if you use it, you are always using it in a critical situation.

Is there a way to paint a space or (remember reading this years ago) laser direct the car so summon is more reliable? I have a tight garage for two Teslas as in 8 inch clearance on sides and in between cars. I thought if I set the garage up just right, I could summon cars in out reliably. Anyone had success that way?

Is there a way to paint a space or (remember reading this years ago) laser direct the car so summon is more reliable? I have a tight garage for two Teslas as in 8 inch clearance on sides and in between cars. I thought if I set the garage up just right, I could summon cars in out reliably. Anyone had success that way?
I think if you surround the car with walls perfectly parallel to the car, all flat and with no gaps, and covered by sheet metal or something else that bounces ultrasound well, you should be good. Summon uses ultrasonic parking sensors to avoid obstacles, so as long as each ultrasonic sensor has accurate distance to wall (and the distance is constant for the whole car, hence the parallel and no gaps requirement) it should not hit anything, unless it hits a bug in a software or some ultrasonic interference. The walls don't even have to extend above window level as the sensors are below. Hey, product idea, Tesla "summon parking-pen" - 3 portable walls to deploy around your Tesla for summon. :)

I think if you surround the car with walls perfectly parallel to the car, all flat and with no gaps, and covered by sheet metal or something else that bounces ultrasound well, you should be good. Summon uses ultrasonic parking sensors to avoid obstacles, so as long as each ultrasonic sensor has accurate distance to wall (and the distance is constant for the whole car, hence the parallel and no gaps requirement) it should not hit anything, unless it hits a bug in a software or some ultrasonic interference. The walls don't even have to extend above window level as the sensors are below. Hey, product idea, Tesla "summon parking-pen" - 3 portable walls to deploy around your Tesla for summon. :)

So basically a tunnel? :)

That's not the granularity I'm talking about. I'm talking about what could be salvaged from the "core" of each individual beta feature -- if anything.
I'm not sure I get what you mean, something like you can press the AP stalk but it doesn't do anything, as in the mechanical functionality of pressing it is non-beta but the rest of it, like automatic steering/acceleration/braking is beta? Not sure how else you would split a feature into beta and non-beta parts. How about summon, hitting the button non-beta, flashing lights non-beta, actually moving the car beta?

I'm not sure I get what you mean, something like you can press the AP stalk but it doesn't do anything, as in the mechanical functionality of pressing it is non-beta but the rest of it, like automatic steering/acceleration/braking is beta? Not sure how else you would split a feature into beta and non-beta parts. How about summon, hitting the button non-beta, flashing lights non-beta, actually moving the car beta?
You're too focused on hardware here. Think about AutoPilot: Tesla's position is that it works (albeit in that beta-y way) on divided highways, but you are free to try to use it under a broader range of circumstances. They could claim that it only works on divided highways, during daylight hours, when it is neither raining nor snowing (, etc.) and then be able to make a stronger (perhaps even non-beta-y) claim about how well it works under those restricted conditions, but they don't. They use (from my cynical perspective) the fact that there exist circumstances where it can't reasonably be expected to work as an excuse for not promising it works under any circumstances. For summon they could tune it so if it has any doubt about the car's position relative to nearby obstacles it just gives up and stops, but that would make it appear less impressive.

We have summoned our MX out of the garage for over 200 times now without any problem. I know for many people, summon is a novelty, but for us it is a lifestyle! :p Maybe some day it will hit the garage opening, and then we will hate it, but not yet. But someone has to beta test it right? Might as well be us. We do have AP2.5, so that has improvement over AP1 on summoning.

Reactions: RogerHScott
Narrow, cinder block wall garage. No problem with summon other than a few false starts on egress at the threshold and/or a 3/4 inch lip, or recently with 2018.12 when the car went brain dead a few times needing a reboot when nothing worked. I've not used it since as, when centered, and it's dead, it's tough to open the door without hitting the wall to get in, so I've been pulling in on an angle, blocking a rear external door, just to be able to exit the car. Actually faster as summon is so slow.

We have summoned our MX out of the garage for over 200 times now without any problem. I know for many people, summon is a novelty, but for us it is a lifestyle! :p Maybe some day it will hit the garage opening, and then we will hate it, but not yet. But someone has to beta test it right? Might as well be us. We do have AP2.5, so that has improvement over AP1 on summoning.
I'd be more enthusiastic about being a beta tester if there were the slightest indication that Tesla was listening to feedback and, crucially, acting on it.

What would be great is if Tesla ever uses the AP2+ cameras for summon to pretty much guarantee it would not hit a wall or garage door frame. Right now I don't trust it to not hit the wall or the garage door frame when the fit is so tight and it starts making abrupt steering corrections.

This is the first I am hearing of summon improvements in AP 2.5. Could you please elaborate?

What would be great is if Tesla ever uses the AP2+ cameras for summon to pretty much guarantee it would not hit a wall or garage door frame. Right now I don't trust it to not hit the wall or the garage door frame when the fit is so tight and it starts making abrupt steering corrections.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that unfortunately, the cameras would not be able to estimate distance to walls and objects in sight. So they would be kind of useless in this scenario.