Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgrade installed last night and tested this morning. Similar problems with connection failures as others have commented but when connected can get it to work. However, my driveway is on a 6 degree incline with a near flat garage. It doesn't want to move the car up or down the incline (which commences as soon as out of garage) so not very useful. I know instructions say only use on flat surfaces, but I was hoping it would assist the wife in parking close to the wall.
Great potential functionality, and I am impressed Tesla has managed to get past the Australian bureaucracy, and I realise this is a beta version, but I really hope future enhancements will allow me, and others with similarly inclined driveways, to park at home. Anyone else had similar problems with using on incline So?

Upgrade installed last night and tested this morning. Similar problems with connection failures as others have commented but when connected can get it to work. However, my driveway is on a 6 degree incline with a near flat garage. It doesn't want to move the car up or down the incline (which commences as soon as out of garage) so not very useful. I know instructions say only use on flat surfaces, but I was hoping it would assist the wife in parking close to the wall.
Great potential functionality, and I am impressed Tesla has managed to get past the Australian bureaucracy, and I realise this is a beta version, but I really hope future enhancements will allow me, and others with similarly inclined driveways, to park at home. Anyone else had similar problems with using on incline So?

My driveway slopes down to the carport which is then flat. Summon handles the slope fine on reverse and fwd. Connectivity to the car is frustrating at times but seems unpredictable. I have 2 car carport and summon seems to want to steer to the middle which is frustrating. I might try angling it a little towards the outside as someone suggested.

My driveway slopes down to the carport which is then flat. Summon handles the slope fine on reverse and fwd. Connectivity to the car is frustrating at times but seems unpredictable. I have 2 car carport and summon seems to want to steer to the middle which is frustrating. I might try angling it a little towards the outside as someone suggested.

I have a two-car carport. I LOVE the summons feature. But to prevent the summons feature from hogging the middle of the carport, I had an old fan which didn't work. So it now acts as a traffic cop. The summons feature sees and obeys. I highly recommend thinking outside of the box!
IMG_0555.JPG

Haven't been able to summon the car all day... Has anyone else had a connection issue today? My guess is the mothership is overloaded...

Update:

Of course... Needed to reset the centre console... Did that, and all was right with the world again...

Last edited:
Used Summon in a parking lot last night. Had a car parked either side of me when I came back to the car so I decided to use Summon to drive it into the car space directly in front of it. As it was creeping forwards, a car came around the corner and went to dive straight into the space the car was driving in to but then saw my car and swerved and continued to find another spot. Out of caution I stopped the summon and it only got half way into the front parking spot but was actually a perfect spot to open the doors.

I can really see this being a great feature in parking lots. Just curious, if you are summoning the car out of a parking space and then a car comes your way, are they meant to give way to you or you meant to give way to them? Usually if you were in the car and backing out and a car came along while you were half way backed out they normally wait for you but since this time there is no one in the car and the car only drives in a straight line what happens here?

Used Summon in a parking lot last night. Had a car parked either side of me when I came back to the car so I decided to use Summon to drive it into the car space directly in front of it. As it was creeping forwards, a car came around the corner and went to dive straight into the space the car was driving in to but then saw my car and swerved and continued to find another spot. Out of caution I stopped the summon and it only got half way into the front parking spot but was actually a perfect spot to open the doors.

I can really see this being a great feature in parking lots. Just curious, if you are summoning the car out of a parking space and then a car comes your way, are they meant to give way to you or you meant to give way to them? Usually if you were in the car and backing out and a car came along while you were half way backed out they normally wait for you but since this time there is no one in the car and the car only drives in a straight line what happens here?

I believe a reversing car must give way to everything. In the event of a collision, the reversing car is in the wrong.

Yeah I agree, actually pretty handy. BUT IT'S TOO SLOW TO CONNECT AND START. Needs work, but will be great, eventually.

Yeah I agree, actually pretty handy. BUT IT'S TOO SLOW TO CONNECT AND START. Needs work, but will be great, eventually.

I usually start the Tesla app while I am on the way back to the car and leave it open then slip the phone into my pocket. I unlock the car at a distance to give time for the computers to wake and connect and by the time I push the summon button when I am at the car it is usually ready pretty quick. But I agree, we need direct key fob access. I cannot see it being more dangerous, safer if anything.

Yes that happened to me too at work though the car was driving forward. I aborted the summon because a car was coming. But the look on the guy's face as he stared at the empty driver's seat was absolutely priceless!

What elements of Summon actually work here in Oz? I'm ording next week, but only just discovered that Homelink doesn't work here. All the marketing material said it would with the AP, even saw it demonstrated on the news the other night, had no idea it wasn't available in Australia. So I'm a little confused to what elements of the summon feature will actually work if it get the option. Cheers.

Apart from no homelink, so no door control, Summon also has been further restricted by Australian authorities.
To use Summon on an Australian Model S your fob has to be in range of the car and you can only control the car with the phone app.
Makes it almost useless for me as the most frequent place where I would use it is in my basement garage where there is no phone signal. Still I had to use it the other day when some clown parked too close to my drivers side and it worked well just takes a while to get the app connected and working.

Apart from no homelink, so no door control, Summon also has been further restricted by Australian authorities.
To use Summon on an Australian Model S your fob has to be in range of the car and you can only control the car with the phone app.
Makes it almost useless for me as the most frequent place where I would use it is in my basement garage where there is no phone signal. Still I had to use it the other day when some clown parked too close to my drivers side and it worked well just takes a while to get the app connected and working.

If you leave the fob in the car, summon will work from a greater distance. Mind you I wouldn't want to be too far way in case there was a hidden object in its path.

If you leave the fob in the car, summon will work from a greater distance. Mind you I wouldn't want to be too far way in case there was a hidden object in its path.
Yes - this Oz restriction is totally ridiculous as the car can be controlled from anywhere.
The restriction *SHOULD* be that summon can ONLY driven from the fob (which has a limited range).
Oh - the "mind" of a bureaucrat...

Reactions: Mark E
Yes - this Oz restriction is totally ridiculous as the car can be controlled from anywhere.
The restriction *SHOULD* be that summon can ONLY driven from the fob (which has a limited range).
Oh - the "mind" of a bureaucrat...

Agree Ray... they've got it totally reversed in terms of the type of protection they are (presumably) looking to create - stopping people using it whilst not next to their car. Doing it with the FOB satisfies this, AND makes it easier and more versatile for us to use. Makes no sense... I know, unheard of for a bureaucracy, but there you go :)