Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon out of garage, did NOT open door! Bump!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a post about 15 feet inside my garage. Initially, my car avoided it, as expected, on Summon. Yesterday, instead of avoiding it, Model S actually headed for the post and by the time I realized what was happening, I was able to stop the car only about an inch from the post. Nothing was different in the garage and I now feel that I can not trust this feature. As a result, I will most likely not use this again until it is refined. Yes, I know it is beta and I did report this event.

I've tried summon both while watching my car from the inside with and without the garage door opened and everything appears to function well. I am parked about 12 inches from the front and the back of the garage. I did have an incident when I was showing off how I could get out of the car to have it park itself inside and close the garage and it stopped a bit too soon for my taste and the rear bumper was only about 6 inches away from the garage door when it closed. Luckily no door strike. Phew.

we don't have the summon feature here in Canada yet, but this thread has me wondering...

in videos I've seen of summon, I notice the car first backs up a tiny bit, seems to sense the door is there and stops, and then opens the garage door.
Q1: how far does the car back up in that first initial step before detecting the door?
Q2: also, how close to the front wall can summon pull the car into the garage when parking?
Q3: how narrow a space can summon safely pull into/out of?

I have to pull the car in well past where the ultrasonic sensors are yelling "STOP" - as I said, almost touching the front wall. I can't see any practical use for me to use summon (if & when it becomes available here), and aside from that I don't know if I could trust it to pull in and out with the very small margins of error I have in my garage. Oh and aside from that, I'm having problems getting auto-Homelink to always work, so I'd worry about the OP's reported problem occuring, but that's a whole other story. Anybody else using summon in such a tight garage? Just curious the minimum margins in which summon will operate (or perhaps in which anyone has dared try)

Based on my experience I'd guess summon will not work in your garage because it will stop before getting close enough to the front wall.

Regarding how how narrow a space I can't give specific measurements but as mentioned above, I used it in a space so narrow that I could not even get close to getting in or out of the door. I pulled in / out of that parking space twice and both times summon stopped half way in/out. I re-initiated summon and it successfully completed the parking / pullout maneuver.

The feature is not in Europe yet, so have not had a chance to play with it yet.

There are a few questions that I'm curious about.

How does it handle Tilt-up garage doors (http://www.easyliftgaragedoors.com.au/tiltdoors.html)? In the videos it seams like it gets very close to the garage doors, and that will not work with tilt-up doors.

How narrow a garage opening is it capable go through? How much clearance does the car need on each side? Going through my garage opening today, the cars sensors will tell me to stop, so will it be able to do it by it self?

As for narrow garages, I have about 3-4" of clearance from the side mirror to the edge of the garage door opening (mirrors extended) on each side. I have to have the "narrow spaces" option checked, but the car pulls in and backs out most of the time without an issue. (Sometimes it seems to get a little scared and I have to restart it again).

Reactions: Rdainer
Based on my experience I'd guess summon will not work in your garage because it will stop before getting close enough to the front wall.
thanks, I was guessing that might be the case.

As for narrow garages, I have about 3-4" of clearance from the side mirror to the edge of the garage door opening (mirrors extended) on each side. I have to have the "narrow spaces" option checked, but the car pulls in and backs out most of the time without an issue. (Sometimes it seems to get a little scared and I have to restart it again).
Thanks for your example, too. With mirrors extended I think I have just a hair over 3" per side clearance, though from the driver's seat it sure seems like a lot less than that - so I always retract them as I pull in once I know I'm centered. I assume that Summon pulls the car in/out with mirrors extended? I guess I worry one day the car might happily rip the mirrors off while Summon backs it out! More of just a thought experiment, since in my case the car's length may be more of an issue.

I have used the summon command to parking many times per week. I have had on occasion while backing into the garage the front was a bit close to the door as it was coming down and the car automatically pulled itself in juts a little more. I was surprised and very happy. FYI...

This seems to be an old post but the exact just happened to our AP2.5 HW Model X a few days ago, the car got a ding on the back liftgate, called service right after to pull the log, still waiting for reply. @Electricfan was your car in a humid environment or got wet before this happen?

I have seen this topic a few times. The problem is the garage door opener as well as the Tesla. The opener (Homelink) needs to tell the car if the door is open or closed so an already open door is not closed. And the car will not move into a closed door.

Further the opener needs to be able to stay synced with a car even when other devices are used. I talked at length to Genie about this and they are dragging their feet.

If you want this solved permanently complain to your garage door opener company. Tesla cannot fix this problem alone.

This seems to be an old post but the exact just happened to our AP2.5 HW Model X a few days ago, the car got a ding on the back liftgate, called service right after to pull the log, still waiting for reply. @Electricfan was your car in a humid environment or got wet before this happen?

I can only tell you that Houston is always humid. Sorry I can't say if the car got wet before this happened.

My opinion (which may be wrong) is that my car was too close to the garage door when I used summon, causing it to fail to detect the door. When it worked, I started summon when the car was further from the door. In that case the car started moving, then seemed to detect the door and stop, open the door and proceed. But, who knows what was really going on. Anyway, I don't use it for this purpose because if the car is in the garage it is plugged in, normally, and so cannot be summoned.

I can only tell you that Houston is always humid. Sorry I can't say if the car got wet before this happened.

My opinion (which may be wrong) is that my car was too close to the garage door when I used summon, causing it to fail to detect the door. When it worked, I started summon when the car was further from the door. In that case the car started moving, then seemed to detect the door and stop, open the door and proceed. But, who knows what was really going on. Anyway, I don't use it for this purpose because if the car is in the garage it is plugged in, normally, and so cannot be summoned.

I see, I am still waiting for the reply from Service. My security camera in the garage captured the whole thing, but I don't want to draw any conclusion before Tesla get back to me after they inspect the vehicle log.

Below is my very (un)educated guess:
My parking brake (which seems to be the same assembly as friction/highspeed brakes) appears to be sticky after driving in rainy weather. When Summon was activated, it gradually adds torque to the motor(s) and attempts to move to the preset distance from the garage door and activates HomeLink, but the vehicle wasn't moving since the parking brakes were sticky/stuck as the car keep ramping up the torque. Once the torque applied by the motors exceed the brake-away friction on the parking brakes, the car launches towards the garage door with excess torque and very little time for the Summon feature's controller model to react and make the correction. So the car impacted with the door, Summon/AutoPark Panicked (Owner API suggests there should be some kind of log available if AutoPark Panic event occurs)

Again, above is my hypothesis, a conclusion should not be drawn at this point. Even if the hypothesis were true, this is a non-trivial corner case, and I DO NOT intend to hold Tesla liable for the damage even if they are at fault; systems like this take them a lot of courage to develop and release into the public fleet, I want to help the development, not discourage it. Just to be clear.

I might post an update after I hear back from Tesla, but I do suggest Tesla owners take proper precaution if they experience the similar situation.

I have seen this topic a few times. The problem is the garage door opener as well as the Tesla. The opener (Homelink) needs to tell the car if the door is open or closed so an already open door is not closed. And the car will not move into a closed door.

Further the opener needs to be able to stay synced with a car even when other devices are used. I talked at length to Genie about this and they are dragging their feet.

If you want this solved permanently complain to your garage door opener company. Tesla cannot fix this problem alone.
The myQ openers will transmit door states (open, opening, closed, closing etc.) I have seen this implemented on Lexus vehicles from few model years ago. Unfortunately, the MCU1 hardware stack might be using an older HomeLink module.

I have no use for Summon or GDO auto open/close, thankfully.
I would not want to risk my $$$ car on such silly fripperies.

As noted, most GDOs are a toggle. They don't track the state. BOO.

Agreed, and Agreed.
Older openers are indeed toggled type and the GDO does not reply to open/close command. However, newer GDOs does broadcast their current state and have distinct open/close/toggle commands. As suggested here:
myq-api

So...I was able to successfully reproduce the behaviour (hit something soft instead of a garage door), mostly consistent with my initial hypothesis, which has nothing to do with the garage door opener/HomeLink. Recorded a video and sent to SC, with all the timestamps, almost a month passed(even longer since initial reporting to Tesla), SC said still waiting for reply form engineering. Don't know if it's a good idea to post the video publicly, don't want to defame Tesla. But owners please be aware, be careful with Summon when the breaks are wet and don't adjust air suspension ride height when the parking brake is engaged, this can add stress/torque to launch the car into a garage door when summon is activated.

AP or any auto driving only in low traffic on divided highways part of the Eisenhower system. Dumb computers cannot take in variables.
They can take in as many variables as the human engineers want them to take and evaluate, and there are always some to be missed. At least with respect to the current methodology of development, with their software 2.0 concept, hopefully, this could change.

MyQ provides this information through the WiFi interface, accessible to the MyQ app.

If Tesla used the WiFi interface, they'd be able to get the current status of the door - and also confirm the door is actually open or closed.

Though... That does introduce additional security problems - since the MyQ app can be used from anywhere - which would also be true with Tesla's opener software. Tesla would need to also add enough protection to ensure MyQ was only used in close proximity to the opener.

MyQ provides this information through the WiFi interface, accessible to the MyQ app.

If Tesla used the WiFi interface, they'd be able to get the current status of the door - and also confirm the door is actually open or closed.

Though... That does introduce additional security problems - since the MyQ app can be used from anywhere - which would also be true with Tesla's opener software. Tesla would need to also add enough protection to ensure MyQ was only used in close proximity to the opener.
If I remember correctly, it should be called homelink 5.0, which requires newer hardware (most newer model years cars are with Homelink have them, not sure if it come with MCU2) . Protection wise, I believe homelink on Tesla can only be activated remotely if the car is with the geofence of the location, but does not matter where the API gets called(where the user issuing the command is at) . There should always be a lock out feature on most garage door openers that ignores all remote command.