Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon / Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
curious who here actively use the summon / park in their garage?

I have tight two cars space and nervous to try it out. I tend to back into the garage and drive out of the garage

Wanted to see ppl experience on this. Does it give good clearance for side mirror when it park / summon for you?

I use it everyday but it's not perfect. My garage is pretty narrow and has a .5" lip. I had to lay down a small plastic ramp so the lip isn't an issue. My biggest complaint with it is it's inconsistency as some days it won't work on the first try and others it will. YMMV.

I use it when I wash my S. It's convenient for summoning in/out of the garage quickly when things are wet, etc. and I want to dry it in the shade. I only use my phone app at this point however. I've seen the car *not do what I would want* and have had to abort mission quickly just to be sure.

I use it when I wash my S. It's convenient for summoning in/out of the garage quickly when things are wet, etc. and I want to dry it in the shade. I only use my phone app at this point however. I've seen the car *not do what I would want* and have had to abort mission quickly just to be sure.
It might be safer to use the key fob to abort since Tesla's servers are frequently unreachable with the phone app. I think you can also press on the door handles to abort.

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak
It might be safer to use the key fob to abort since Tesla's servers are frequently unreachable with the phone app. I think you can also press on the door handles to abort.

Interesting RE the servers. I'm usually ready to touch the handle, which does work - and requires a slight "push" vs just a capacitive touch, I've noticed by the way. I've experimented with the fob, but have kept the option turned off to avoid an "inadvertent tight pants summon". :eek:

I frequently use summon as my garage is very narrow. Its worked every time except once when I hadn't lined up the car well. I aborted (via my phone) as the car looked like it was about to scrape one side.
Good point about the app vs. the fob. I will start using the fob in the future.
Why do I use summon? It appears to work well. And friends and neighbors give it two thumbs up on being a "cool" feature.

Interesting RE the servers. I'm usually ready to touch the handle, which does work - and requires a slight "push" vs just a capacitive touch, I've noticed by the way. I've experimented with the fob, but have kept the option turned off to avoid an "inadvertent tight pants summon". :eek:

For what it’s worth, I think an inadvertent tight pants summon is pretty unlikely. You need to first hold the top of the fob for a good 5 or 10 seconds, then press the front or back of the fob to start the car actually moving. Another press of the fob will cancel the summon. You need to be pretty close to the car to activate summon (think the same distance that causes the handles to open as you approach the car) and it won’t attempt to summon if it’s plugged in, so it seems to me the chance of all that happening inadvertently is pretty unlikely.

Reactions: smilepak
curious who here actively use the summon / park in their garage?

I have tight two cars space and nervous to try it out. I tend to back into the garage and drive out of the garage

Wanted to see ppl experience on this. Does it give good clearance for side mirror when it park / summon for you?

Don't bother. Parlor trick. Will end up with some form of property damage, just a matter of time. One time where if fails to activate the garage door, or doesn't see a random obstacle will be enough for thousands of dollars in damage.

I gave park and summon a few tries over the weekend using the AP.

Calling it out from the garage to driveway seem simple and no issue

From driveway back into garage, it's not all that smart. Off the car is perfectly aligned prior to start, it'll back in perfectly. But if the car happens to be at a slight angle where while backing it, it notice the rear corner does not have enough room, it doesn't drive forward to reposition itself straight and redo. It just abandon the park.

I could see this being very useful in a tight garage where once parked it is difficult to open the door to get out. Otherwise, you have to be completely lazy to be using it lol.

Summon definitely is just a straight line/one direction thing. As you discovered it won’t switch from reverse to forward or vice versa to try to reposition. When moving forward it does attempt to turn the wheels a bit to avoid obstacles that are encroaching into its path, but it won’t make major changes to it’s path. I’ve only tried using summon to pull forward into my garage and it doesn’t need to be lined up perfectly, but it does need to be pretty close.

There are a few use cases for summon, but it’s definitely not a critical feature that most people use every day.