Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is advanced summon really a big deal? How hard is it to walk from the store or restaurant to your car? It seems more like a party trick to me than anything that will be particularly useful. You will use it a few times to show off to friends and then realize it’s silly to wait around for it to drive at 2mph around a parking lot trying to find you.

It’s more about progress, and vision than immediate functionality.
If we don’t start somewhere, we don’t progress.
The first car was cool, but kind of sucked also.....

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
I think Tesla is going to regret the day they release advance summon.

The internet is going to break with videos of confused cars clogging up parking lots and embarrassed owners running to rescue them.

Pulling the car in and out of a spot is entertaining. The car driving across a parking lot will be a disaster.

How are they going to have Full self Driving cars but not cars that will drive through a parking lot? Don't you think That'll be easier than FSD?

I'm excited to see this feature get released. Not so much because I think it will be super useful to most folks but mostly because it will be a demonstrative step towards FSD.

I think it will be of limited value to most owners but I'm sure there are some solid use cases out there. I'll liken it to the current self park. Sure, the car can do it but I rarely use it. Yet, when I DO use it, it's for a good reason and proves somewhat valuable to me.

• Love
Reactions: dww12 and M109Rider
How are they going to have Full self Driving cars but not cars that will drive through a parking lot? Don't you think That'll be easier than FSD?
Honestly, till they get sideways facing cameras able to detect cars at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions at a 4-way stop...I don’t think they will have FSD.

Right now these cars have no way to pull into traffic from a stop sign.

• Disagree
I think Tesla is going to regret the day they release advance summon.

The internet is going to break with videos of confused cars clogging up parking lots and embarrassed owners running to rescue them.

Pulling the car in and out of a spot is entertaining. The car driving across a parking lot will be a disaster.

I can’t wait for the battle between multiple approaching Tesla’s on a rainy night to a fancy restaurants front step.

Reactions: Enginerd
Honestly, till they get sideways facing cameras able to detect cars at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions at a 4-way stop...I don’t think they will have FSD.

Fair point. How can the car back out of a parking space if it can’t detect traffic approaching from either side of the car the way cross traffic alert works in other vehicles?

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Fair point. How can the car back out of a parking space if it can’t detect traffic approaching from either side of the car the way cross traffic alert works in other vehicles?

Why would it back out of a space? Summon will back into the space then exit forward, with the front/side cameras in use.

If another car is at 3 or 9 at a 4-way stop you're in the middle of the intersection...

But anyway they demoed one handling such stops at autonomy day.

The side cameras see....to the side. Hence the name.

• Love
Why would it back out of a space? Summon will back into the space then exit forward, with the front/side cameras in use.

If another car is at 3 or 9 at a 4-way stop you're in the middle of the intersection...

Even if they back into the space that doesn’t solve the problem. The side cameras are pointed to look at traffic coming up behind it in the left and right lanes. They are not looking forward at oncoming cross traffic in a parking lot. They are intended to keep track of traffic approaching from the rear, not the front. If they had this capability the car could offer cross traffic alert.

• Disagree
Even if they back into the space that doesn’t solve the problem. The side cameras are pointed to look at traffic coming up behind it in the left and right lanes. They are not looking forward at oncoming cross traffic in a parking lot. They are intended to keep track of traffic approaching from the rear, not the front. If they had this capability the car could offer cross traffic alert.
You are completely forgetting the 2 SIDE cameras in the B Pillars. They do exactly what you are wanting.

Reactions: Rojer Lockless
OK...then why can’t the Model 3 provide cross traffic alert warnings as other cars do?

Because the rear-facing cameras aren't far enough back on the car to be able to see around adjacent vehicles. And the rear camera probably isn't wide enough angle to be useful like the RCTA in other vehicles, which use rear-facing radars (which are usually in the rear bumper, and also used for blind spot monitoring). So as soon as you start to peek out from adjacent vehicles in reverse, these systems start seeing vehicles & pedestrians - anything that moves.

What is rear cross traffic alert? Autoweek explains

I can't see the Model 3 being able to do this, so it does seem that Advanced Summon will need to be tied to an Auto Park which backs into the spot. Though it is not clear that this will solve the problem at all - for the same reasons - the cameras on the windshield and b-pillars are too far back, even when coming forward out of a spot (imagine being flanked by two Escalades). The front radar may have enough capability or have a mode to detect movement to the side, which would be sufficient - I do not know.

Last edited:
Because the rear-facing cameras aren't far enough back on the car to be able to see around adjacent vehicles. And the rear camera probably isn't wide enough angle to be useful like the RCTA in other vehicles, which use rear-facing radars (which are usually in the rear bumper, and also used for blind spot monitoring). So as soon as you start to peek out from adjacent vehicles in reverse, these systems start seeing vehicles & pedestrians - anything that moves.

What is rear cross traffic alert? Autoweek explains

I can't see the Model 3 being able to do this, so it does seem that Advanced Summon will need to be tied to an Auto Park which backs into the spot. Though it is not clear that this will solve the problem at all - for the same reasons - the cameras are too far back, even when coming forward out of a spot (imagine being flanked by two Escalades). The front radar may have enough capability to detect movement to the side to be sufficient - I do not know.

Thanks, very helpful.

So if I’m understanding correctly, the Model 3 can’t provide rear cross traffic alert for the above reasons. But what about front traffic alert? If the car is pulling out of a parking space that it backed into, will it see cars approaching it from the left and right side of the parking lot and stop to wait for them to pass?

And, if it can’t detect rear cross traffic, how will it be able to back into a parking space? It would need to know whether traffic is approaching from the left and right side as it is backing into the space to make sure it’s not about to cut off a driver that is driving down the parking lane while the car is backing into the spot, right?

Reactions: Leafdriver333
If the car is pulling out of a parking space that it backed into, will it see cars approaching it from the left and right side of the parking lot and stop to wait for them to pass?

I don't know. As I said, my feeling is that the front bumper radar would be REQUIRED to get this to work properly. No other sensor (other than ultrasonics which have too little range) would have visibility. I know nothing about the radar's wide-angle capabilities.

And, if it can’t detect rear cross traffic, how will it be able to back into a parking space?

A good question, though I think less of an issue typically. In the case of being in the open, it has a lot more cameras with visibility so there are fewer blind spots. But there is definitely trickiness involved here and it will have to deal with people zooming past and it will have to be sure that it does not clip anyone as the front of the car swings out and around.

That being said, I don't have high hopes for Advanced Summon! It's going to be painful to watch, in my opinion.

OK...then why can’t the Model 3 provide cross traffic alert warnings as other cars do?
The word you are looking for is “yet”. Perhaps it’s headroom on HW2.5, perhaps it is just software, but I am certain there is a plan. The car has two steering boxes for redundancy and the ability to cap the steering wheel. It’s been planned out further than we can imagine.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Most (all?) other cars use rear facing radar sensors for this. Teslas don’t have those.

I love my Model 3, but credit where credit’s due ... my prior Cadillac had rear cross traffic alerting (and a 360 camera view ... and a wide angle rearview mirror camera)... and blind spot alerts in the side view mirrors ... Tesla certainly doesn’t have the market cornered on safety features.

It’s a little puzzling to me because most of these would’ve been absolutely trivial to add to Model 3.

But back to the Enhanced Summon point .... not having rear radar seems like a big miss to me. Would help the summon feature (and Autopark!) tremendously.

Reactions: hcdavis3

No they didn't. Watch the video carefully. Very controlled intersections

Most (all?) other cars use rear facing radar sensors for this.
For those like me with vague memory and an uneasy deja vu feeling, there's a separate thread about what was initially thought to be a rear-facing radar on a Model 3. I read through the entire thread so you don't have to. Turned out to be 1 of 4 Bluetooth BLE antennas for phone-as-key, which is mounted above the rear bumper.
Hello, rear radar :-)

The word you are looking for is “yet”. Perhaps it’s headroom on HW2.5, perhaps it is just software, but I am certain there is a plan. The car has two steering boxes for redundancy and the ability to cap the steering wheel. It’s been planned out further than we can imagine.

The car doesn't have sensor coverage to be able to do this- software can't fix that.

Hence why I expect the car will always back into spots-(indeed, this is what auto park does today)- since the front sensors are a more robust suite than the rear.