Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons crashed my car into a column

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new M3 for all of 3 weeks, still learning about what the car can and can't do. Like the OP I am surprised at what the car DOESN'T see sometimes and that it doesn't have sonar sensors on the sides as it does on the front and back. The angle of the cameras makes it very easy for things close up to be missed.
I think this is a misunderstanding of how the car's computer vision works. It is currently not capable of building a generalized 3D model of its environment. It only recognizes objects it has been trained to detect, primarily road markings, curbs and other vehicles (and more recently trash bins ;)). If it had been another vehicle rather than a non-descript pillar it probably would have avoided the collision. This is something were Lidar or possibly additional ultrasonic sensors could have helped (although the latter have trouble detecting narrow objects as well).

I think this is a misunderstanding of how the car's computer vision works.

Now, please don't get your shorts in a twist by thinking I'm popping up to disagree with you. I have no information to use to either agree or disagree, but when I push the "Come To Me" button I enjoy peering at the image painted by the car's sensors. And while it is a pretty rough approximation of the vehicle's surroundings, I'm always impressed by how it manages to paint boundaries regardless of their aspect. This would be, in some sense, a "generalized 3D model" would it not?

I definitely have a hate for most "it's beta" excuse posts, but damn man... wasn't it completely obvious from all the other news around smart summon that this feature is not ready for primetime?

As far as responsibility, I think you just need to file the accident with your insurance company and they will take care of blaming Tesla, if it is at all possible. That is part of what you are paying them for.

This also really highlights why you might want your insurance company to be independent from the people that make your AP software. Could you imagine if you tried to stop the car but it didn't respond for whatever reason and someone was hurt or killed, so you call Tesla insurance and they don't lift a finger to defend you?

Last edited:
Now, please don't get your shorts in a twist by thinking I'm popping up to disagree with you. I have no information to use to either agree or disagree, but when I push the "Come To Me" button I enjoy peering at the image painted by the car's sensors. And while it is a pretty rough approximation of the vehicle's surroundings, I'm always impressed by how it manages to paint boundaries regardless of their aspect. This would be, in some sense, a "generalized 3D model" would it not?
This outline is based on curb and drivable space detection. Karpathy has described this in some detail in a recent presentation.

I think you just need to file the accident with your insurance company and they will take care of blaming Tesla, if it is at all possible. That is part of what you are paying them for.

There is a zero, and I mean zero, percent chance Tesla will be found at-fault for this.

Best case scenario is OP pays the deductible for the fix and their premiums go up. OP is 100% at fault here.

DON'T USE SMART SUMMON AROUND SMALL PILLARS! If the car detects an object in front it will turn to avoid it and can hit the pillar. There are several examples on here of other cars hitting similar pillars when the vehicle passes the side camera.

SMART SUMMON IS FOR OPEN AREAS. If you set the settings to allow it to get close to a pole or object in the garage,I t specifically warns you need to really watch it or it may hit that object.

I think it is fair to say we are all looking forward to the day when our cars are physically unable to hit another object, but that day is not today.

DON'T USE SMART SUMMON AROUND SMALL PILLARS! If the car detects an object in front it will turn to avoid it and can hit the pillar. There are several examples on here of other cars hitting similar pillars when the vehicle passes the side camera.

SMART SUMMON IS FOR OPEN AREAS. If you set the settings to allow it to get close to a pole or object in the garage,I t specifically warns you need to really watch it or it may hit that object.

I think it is fair to say we are all looking forward to the day when our cars are physically unable to hit another object, but that day is not today.
Counterpoint:
08406DE8-9B3A-4290-9916-54DA7ACF981E.jpeg

In Tesla’s defense the garage pictured is probably cantilevered like this:
upload_2019-12-27_16-50-53.jpeg

Sorry for you - it sucks. As others said, I doubt you will get anything from Tesla. My take on summon is not to use it unless I have to - such as when an idiot parks too close for me to get in the car.

I definitely have a hate for most "it's beta" excuse posts, but damn man... wasn't it completely obvious from all the other news around smart summon that this feature is not ready for primetime?
Not every person who buys/leases a Tesla pays attention to the above news that had been making the rounds.

You might be surprised about the..ummmm.. knowledge level of various EV and PHEV drivers who don't visit any EV forums or read EV-related sites. I posted about this Model S driver in 2016 who had their car for 3 years by that point. I don't know if they participate in TMC or any other EV forums: encounters w/other Leafers w/surprising lack of knowledge - Page 9 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

And, there was this total cluster#$%$% at Model 3 to have <60kW Supercharging? of someone who's been on TMC since 2015. Someone else pointed out to me at 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online - Page 3 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, that he may have been the 1st person to receive a Leaf in San Diego in Dec 2010! :eek: If so, you'd think he'd be an expert instead of not understanding kW vs. kWh and frustrating folks in that thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
First, from earlier posts about not stopping summon before the collision... I have experienced some very uncomfortable delays between "button release" and "car stop", estimate 6-8 ft forward travel. If that is not too uncommon, it will always be very hard to prevent these types of errors in close quarters.

Second, about the ultrasonics, this is an X we're talking about here. It has extra sensors in the wings to prevent them from hitting things when opening. It seems those sensors aren't being used as part of summon logic.

If you could see your car, why did you not stop Smart Summon before it hit the column? And you are responsible for Smart Summon so no, Tesla is not liable for any damages.

Yeah, the pillar is beta too, so you can't blame it either. I think the list of beta features on this car is longer than the list of working features. I haven't even tried summon and I don't expect to any time soon.