Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deluge plate has been placed below the OLM!

Really cool to see how they managed to slide that huge steel structure between the OLM legs and then lower it into place.

IMG_2540.jpeg
IMG_2541.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpeg

Latest video from Marcus House shows this closeup of the deluge plate before it was lowered to its final horizontal position, the pattern of holes in the upper surface where the water will exit are visible (at least I’m guessing what I’m seeing here). His video also has some good animations of how all the water deluge pieces might fit together.

IMG_2543.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and ICUDoc
That’s a beautiful image. Photo credit?

It’s incredible how much Starship hardware SpaceX is building, and there are multiple vehicles in production that are not shown in that photo. It might seem like the company is getting ahead of itself, but maybe those vehicles should be looked at as evolving prototypes and a lot is learned just by building them even if they don’t all end up launching.

Reactions: Electroman
course, there's still the whole thing about not destroying the launch pad with the current level of thrust...
“Scotty, I need more water pressure! Maximum pressure! Divert all auxiliary power to the pumps!”

”Captain, I cannae give you no more! We’re at Warp 9 and the Klingons are gaining, I need all that power for the rear deflectors!”

The record for mass delivered to LEO in a single launch was the Apollo 17 mission, which lofted 141 tons. Uprating Starship by 20% would mean a 180 ton payload in its reusable configuration and 300 tons if expended.

Of course, there's still the whole thing about not destroying the launch pad with the current level of thrust...
Wow. Elon Tweeted earlier about the test at 350 bar, saying the engines really wanted to melt... which made it sounds like this was an "upper limit test". That test equated to like 592K lbs of thrust.

Now he's talking about 20,000,000 / 33 = 606K lbs thrust per engine, in a production configuration! Good grief.

Again for reference the BE-4, a larger engine physically, produced 550K lbs thrust.

Reactions: JB47394
Wow. Elon Tweeted earlier about the test at 350 bar, saying the engines really wanted to melt... which made it sounds like this was an "upper limit test". That test equated to like 592K lbs of thrust.
I was wondering about that as well. Either they discovered something new as a result of testing the engines to their limits - or this is what you get from an expendable Starship, where they'd push the engines so hard that they produce almost 20% more thrust - but only for one run.

Reactions: scaesare
Why pumps to deluge the water?. Build tanks at 50 feet high and open the sluice gates like a dam and let gravity do the rest.

If the objective is to flood the OLM base with water, just let the water flow through gravity would be better ?
Would that be enough pressure for the "showerhead" effect described for the plate?

A quick calculation suggests that a 50' high water tank would provide 21.6 psi of head pressure. Given the number of holes in the plate, I wonder if that will have the intended effect...

Reactions: Grendal
A quick calculation suggests that a 50' high water tank would provide 21.6 psi of head pressure. Given the number of holes in the plate, I wonder if that will have the intended effect...
A napkin calculation on the rocket thrust using the current 6000 ton thrust level across the 9 meter diameter rocket diameter says that the plate will be hit by a pressure of 127 psi. So if the water is supposed to keep the plate free of thrust impingement, they're going to need something in that ballpark. Using the pressure calculator, the water would have to be 300' above the plate. The tallest water tower in the US is 216'. I guess SpaceX has had enough of towers for a while.

Then there's the complication of handling the uprated Raptor engines. If they had that 300' water tower, they'd still have to install pumps to create the additional pressure needed.

Why pumps to deluge the water?
It appears that SpaceX will be using pressurized nitrogen to force the water through the deluge plate holes, based on the racks of high pressure tanks associated with the large “hot dog” water tanks for the deluge system.

My Star Trek humor post (#2428 upthread) that referenced warp drive powered pumps was just a joke. The SpaceX warp drive is still under development. :D

Booster bidet test!
I want one of those for my bathroom!

Imagine how clean that boosters bottom is going to be; first the sterilizing heat, than the cleansing bath.

Very impressive that less than week after the perforated plates were installed and connected the system appears to be operational. Love it. 😍

Last edited: