Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speculation is that S24 will soon be de-stacked so that booster static fire testing can begin
Confirmed. S24 was de-stacked yesterday.

815E930C-FD51-4462-BED2-0DA31BF30219.jpeg

A83A7BFB-3DAC-41D9-80DB-EA03581F62A4.jpeg

Also, S25 was removed from the sub-orbital test stand and moved to the High Bay, I presume as a precaution to ensure its safety during B7 static fire testing and then the B7/S24 orbital test flight launch.

I assume that S24 will be moved to a sub-orbital test stand while the B7 static fire tests are performed, hopefully very soon!

It looks like the second orbital test flight will use B9/S25 since B8 has been moved to the Rocket Garden area, joining the other retired vehicles there.

Also, S25 was removed from the sub-orbital test stand and moved to the High Bay, I presume as a precaution to ensure its safety during B7 static fire testing and then the B7/S24 orbital test flight launch.

I assume that S24 will be moved to a sub-orbital test stand while the B7 static fire tests are performed, hopefully very soon!

It looks like the second orbital test flight will use B9/S25 since B8 has been moved to the Rocket Garden area, joining the other retired vehicles there.
Or roll S24 to a further location, just in case.
Though it may be it would only fly with B7 so, if B24 fails, it doesn't matter what happens to S24...
Do they need the transporter back or can they crane S24 to the stand?

Edit: transporter

Or roll S24 to a further location, just in case.
Though it may be it would only fly with B7 so, if B24 fails, it doesn't matter what happens to S24...
Do they need the transporter back or can they crane S24 to the stand?
After my last post I realized that there is probably no need to hoist S24 up and onto a suborbital test stand because it has already been fully static fired, it can be kept on the transport stand. I can’t tell if it has been taken off the SMTP or not; maybe it will just be kept on it so it can be quickly moved back back to Stage Zero and then the chopsticks will lift it back onto B7.

Reactions: mongo
Road closure today until 8pm and overpressure notice given. Tank farm is coming alive so either this is another spin prime test or a static fire.
This type of landing (catch by arms) is an order of magnitude complex then landing on legs. Margins are in low single digit feet. Scary..

SH can go to slow and zero vertical speed and the arms give a large capture range.
Yes, and this screen capture of the LabPadre stream a few minutes ago shows just how wide the chopsticks can spread.

C65F0FB1-EC01-4427-9365-9BF8C83EBC8D.jpeg

Reactions: mongo
Will the arms stay wide and then close in as the booster (or Ship) descends below the tower?

So many questions ! :)

is there an animation from SpaceX ? (not from 3rd party enthusiasts who are just speculating).
I think that info (in audio form) is in the Elon Tom Dodd interview (part 2?)
As I recall, yes. Wide then booster slows between and they close the gap.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Elon has stated that SH will be able to null out its velocity and hover, and then the chopsticks will come in and engage with the two support pins on either side of the booster. He hasn’t said how long it could hover, as far as I know, but as long as there is sufficient remaining fuel it will have altitude control. Of course for the early “catch” tests SpaceX will surely not try to cut the fuel reserve too fine; those tests won’t be trying to loft the maximum payload into orbit, they want to practice landings without running out of fuel.

Last edited by a moderator: