Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Baker City, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, this nearly ruined our trip. We were cross-referencing superchargers between Tesla and ABRP. Tesla showed this station as down and ABRP still had it up. Fortunately we saw the discrepancy and charged to 90% in Boise. Getting from Boise to Pendleton had lots of elevation change. Fortunately, final leg is 1600 ft drop in elevation, so regain worked in our favor. We arrived with only a few percent, cutting it much closer than we would have liked. Planning on RV park stop in La Grande on return trip.

Glad you made it! Did you have to slow down significantly? Depends on the winds of course, but there's a good chance you could make the return trip without the RV park stop if you charge to 95% and drive ~5 mph slower...

There's also a chance they might fix it or open up the almost-completed Ontario site before your return trip... Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: otter
Glad you made it! Did you have to slow down significantly? Depends on the winds of course, but there's a good chance you could make the return trip without the RV park stop if you charge to 95% and drive ~5 mph slower...

There's also a chance they might fix it or open up the almost-completed Ontario site before your return trip... Good luck!
Was going to say the same things. Why not just charge to near 100% and drive more slowly? Any Tesla with a rated range near 300 miles should be able to make that leg in either direction this time of year. And yeah, I would definitely stop at Baker City to see if it's back up and running, even if it shows down in the Nav. It's basically no diversion whatsoever. I'd also keep an eye on the Ontario, OR thread as that could open up as well.

Yep, we slowed down to 60-65 mph, and turned off the a/c. It was pretty windy (a ups truck was turned over in beginning leg). We had never driven this before so were less familiar with the elevation profile. My 3 maxes out at 290 mi because of some battery degradation, so 90% of that is 261 mi. Add in the terrain and wind, and it was close. Had I known better I would have charged to 100%. My worry is going east there is elevation gain and might put us on edge again.

Yep, we slowed down to 60-65 mph, and turned off the a/c. It was pretty windy (a ups truck was turned over in beginning leg). We had never driven this before so were less familiar with the elevation profile. My 3 maxes out at 290 mi because of some battery degradation, so 90% of that is 261 mi. Add in the terrain and wind, and it was close. Had I known better I would have charged to 100%. My worry is going east there is elevation gain and might put us on edge again.
290 is not GREAT, but still doable imo. I would just charge up to at least 280 and look out for any heavy rain or especially a headwind. Start out at 60mph and adjust from there. Try to draft a semi using Autopilot if possible. That should be easy to do on the interstate. I've found that drafting at 70mph uses less energy than driving 60mph without drafting. And of course there's an added bonus of moving faster.

We were cross-referencing superchargers between Tesla and ABRP. Tesla showed this station as down and ABRP still had it up.
FYI: ABRP uses the supercharger map/database from Supercharge.info. And while SC.info will update their database to show a location as temporarily closed if it is down for an extended period (like for a week or longer), it doesn't at all offer anything approaching "real time" tracking of supercharger status like Tesla's navigation system almost does. (Note, I say "almost" because there can still be very significant delays between when a supercharger goes down and when Tesla fully realizes this and is able to update their system to show it as such. 6 or 8 hours between going down and the nav first saying it's out of service isn't unheard of)

290 is not GREAT, but still doable imo. I would just charge up to at least 280 and look out for any heavy rain or especially a headwind. Start out at 60mph and adjust from there. Try to draft a semi using Autopilot if possible. That should be easy to do on the interstate. I've found that drafting at 70mph uses less energy than driving 60mph without drafting. And of course there's an added bonus of moving faster.

What TACC distance do you set for drafting a semi? I have never done it for fear of rock chips on the hood.

My daughter made the drive from Jackson, WY to Bend, OR in her S75D yesterday with the original plan of following I-84 from Boise to The Dalles and then heading south to Bend (ABRP’s recommended route). Fortunately, while charging in Boise she noticed that Baker City was down so she charged to 100% (a long wait) and then drove, slowly, to Burns arriving with 16%. She then charged to 80% (a 4-hour wait) and made with the drive to Bend with 13% (wind was a big factor). Not being a particularly patient person she was not happy with the wait times but was happy to have made her destination.

My daughter made the drive from Jackson, WY to Bend, OR in her S75D yesterday with the original plan of following I-84 from Boise to The Dalles and then heading south to Bend (ABRP’s recommended route). Fortunately, while charging in Boise she noticed that Baker City was down so she charged to 100% (a long wait) and then drove, slowly, to Burns arriving with 16%. She then charged to 80% (a 4-hour wait) and made with the drive to Bend with 13% (wind was a big factor). Not being a particularly patient person she was not happy with the wait times but was happy to have made her destination.
That's actually a very good result given the circumstance (short range car and Baker City being down).

Yeah, I forgot to mention we did that too (drafting off semis, distance of 1). First semi seemed annoyed and moved into the left lane. Rest of time we were able to stay behind without any problems. It was fine in the end. Just more on the edge than we expected on our first long road trip. :D

Glad she made it! It's stories like this that push me closer to buying a CHAdeMO adapter (there's apparently now a station in Burns), but for now I'm still holding out for the mythical CCS adapter...

Let's hope Tesla gets Baker City patched up soon and/or opens Ontario. In the meantime, there are going to be lots of "adventures"...

Reactions: Rocky_H
Stopped by to check on the theft of electrical components and took a few photos.
IMG_20200815_162441.jpg
MVIMG_20200815_162421.jpg IMG_20200815_162336.jpg

Unbelievable, So much for our trip from Tucson to Washington, I am pretty sure we can't make it from Boise to Pendelton in our S85 loaded. Hard to believe the scum that would do something like this, I'm pretty sure fencing those breakers wouldn't be very cost effective, I'm surprised they didn't steal the wire. Obviously, someone knew a little about what they were doing since they didn't get fried. Just unbelievable

PS- we have no desire to go via LA and up I-5 with all the Unrest and COVID restrictions along the way

Unbelievable, So much for our trip from Tucson to Washington, I am pretty sure we can't make it from Boise to Pendelton in our S85 loaded. Hard to believe the scum that would do something like this, I'm pretty sure fencing those breakers wouldn't be very cost effective, I'm surprised they didn't steal the wire. Obviously, someone knew a little about what they were doing since they didn't get fried. Just unbelievable

PS- we have no desire to go via LA and up I-5 with all the Unrest and COVID restrictions along the way
Stay calm. There are other options.