Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aberdeen, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers are also being considered for the Chesapeake House Travel Plaza, 15 miles north of Maryland House. Those plans, including the proposed number of stalls, will be based on data gathered from the first year of usage at the Maryland House.
So clearly we all need to favor Maryland House over the Delaware superchargers for the first year they're open. ;)
In all seriousness, this is indeed great news. While Newark doesn't need pressure taken off of it at the moment, Maryland House (and hopefully Chesapeake House too!) will be a rather important backup in case there's ever another outage at Newark like there was not too long ago. That, and ... Model 3 is coming. :D
Thanks for the sleuthing and reporting as always, @Lanny !

Very very awesome. Though still hoping for a better supercharging location around 270/495

It's true that putting SCs at Maryland House, Chesapeake House, and Laurel is overkill this (still relatively) early in the Supercharger game, and that there is greater need to have one SC at 270 than to have four between DC and Dover. However, it's also true that Telsa doesn't get to choose unilaterally what goes up where and when, and has to take advantage of the opportunities when they occur.

In fact, once Maryland and Chesapeake Houses are open, Laurel will become almost completely superfluous for long-distance travelers. It's a little bit of a pain to get to, and who's going to want to negotiate that traffic when you can just take an access road directly off the Interstate?

It's true that putting SCs at Maryland House, Chesapeake House, and Laurel is overkill this (still relatively) early in the Supercharger game

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves, neither the Chesapeake nor Maryland rest areas are reality yet (and may never be). Hell, even Laurel is still not on. While I-270 serves many commuters, I-95 serves a lot of long distance drivers all over the East Coast and the power-out incident with Newark, DE showed that we do need geo-redundancy in the charging network, not to mention increased capacity.

Reactions: Mr So Chill
Of course the looming infrastructure question is, will Elon ultimately allow Porsche, perhaps others, access to the SC network? :(

Will he? Technically, he did - two years ago. He "opened" all patents relating to Tesla and the Supercharger network in 2014. In Elon's words, "Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology."

There was rumors of talks with a few manufacturers over the years, but that was it. The manufacturers are idiots if they don't (At least eventually) take Elon up on this offer. The network has been built out already. They should really standardize on the SC network technology and make this happen.

Of course the looming infrastructure question is, will Elon ultimately allow Porsche, perhaps others, access to the SC network? :(
Why the sad face? If other manufacturers join in, the SpC will grow at a faster pace.

Wasn't one of the requirements that the manufacturer build out enough SpCs to cover their usage proportionally? If several other manufacturers join in, imagine the supercharger density/build-out that will happen.

The "Permit" status on supercharge.info seems to be more of a catch-all status for any location that's planned but not yet under construction. I don't think there needs to actually be a permit issued yet, it's just that a filed permit is usually the first indication of a new Supercharger location being planned. I've seen a couple of other locations go up as "Permit" when it was based on other information instead.

Reactions: emupilot

The answer is yes, if they abide by Tesla's lifestyle quality standards. I recall reading BMW and Chevy saying the reason they said no, was that Tesla won't negotiate lower kw charging speeds. The car must be capable of charging at speeds over 50kw or so. The cars also can not be built to require charging more than 30 minutes for X number of miles. Bmw and Chevy said that faster charging in the vehicle would raise the cost to much. Nissan Leaf is capable, but they already have a good history with Chademo networks. Ford said no to Tesla, until it becomes a universal standard, backed by standards bodies.

This and Laurel mean never having to stop in Bethesda again. Maybe those really irate calls I made to Tesla HQ when both Tesla stalls were occupied and I waited OVER AN HOUR for some idiot in the mall to come out and move their car. And I wasn't the only one screaming at HQ. I'm happy that these are coming. but still annoyed that the Bethesda disaster has persisted for years.

Aberdeen, Maryland will likely be built long before Aberdeen, WA. The Town council in Washington state approved the agreement with Tesla to lease space for a Supercharger station in a development that will begin construction in 2017 or 2018.