Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any good news this afternoon?

I will be visiting family in Albuquerque this weekend until Tuesday morning, and if the SC is not open by Monday, would anyone who has a CHAdeMO adapter be willing to meet me at Dave & Busters Sunday or Monday and let me charge for 30 mins? This should give me enough range to return to the Gallup SC. Please direct message me at iCAR if this is possible. I'll buy a cold one at D & B's!

Gary

Still no power on at the Albuquerque SC today at 2pm. C'mon Tesla/PNM/City of Albuquerque, turn on the power!!!!!

Where's the power switch?
image.jpg

Does a "green" transformer have significance, or explain why the power is not on yet? It has a working meter installed.

I just use green to describe the transformer. If you can look at the label, if it is for the Supercharger (looks so by location), then it should be 480/277V with a power of something like 500 or 750 kVA. Once the transformer and meter are in place, it just takes a successful test by the Supercharger folks from corporate to bless the Supercharger Site, and it is usually turned on.

I drove cross country from Buffalo to Pasadena using the central route and was thinking of trying a more southern route on the way back. If Albuquerque is not online I'll probably be going back the way I came. I guess I might break the seal on the box holding my ChaDemo adapter as an alternative.

I drove cross country from Buffalo to Pasadena using the central route and was thinking of trying a more southern route on the way back. If Albuquerque is not online I'll probably be going back the way I came. I guess I might break the seal on the box holding my ChaDemo adapter as an alternative.

If you come back the Southern Route, try to include driving through at least part of Southern Utah.
Great drives, very scenic Parks and vistas.
Truly beautiful countryside.
Maybe venture off the beaten path a bit and explore some of the history and culture of Santa Fe.

And if the Albuquerque Supercharge isn't yet operational, not a bad time to find out how fast your CHAdeMO really is relative to charging with a Supercharger.
Seize the day.

Last edited:
The Chademo by the Dave and Busters is limited to 80% charge and 90Amps- but in a pinch it does well in place of the ABQ SC. I used it both ways from Tucson to Indianapolis in May and had no issues making the next SC in each direction. Just be prepared for a longer charge there- Or plan to overnight at the Hotel with the HPWC.. I would take the southern route for the variety.

I passed thru Albuquerque last Saturday (on a road trip from MN to AZ) and stopped in at Applebee's after trying the supercharger---to no avail, of course. I talked to the manager at the restaurant who told me that, possibly, the fact that the city wanted a fence put up between the chargers and the adjacent bike/pedestrian path might be the reason for the delay in turning the pedestals on. While that doesn't seem it would prevent lighting up the chargers, it might--if true--impact a final sign off.

I charged at O'Neil's Pub via CHAdeMO instead, and got a steady 142 miles per hour there, and moved on to Gallup to continue home. I first tried WinRock but found, after 40 frustrating minutes, that the CHAdeMO didn't work at that location..

If you are passing through ABQ I'd make it one of your overnight stops. There's a destination Tesla HPWC at the Sheraton, and also a free chargepoint (that gets 18mph) downdown, right across the street from the Doubletree. I didn't stay at either but left my car overnight twice at the Chargepoint and came back in the morning with a full battery and no issues.

xrayangiodoc,

I went to Phoenix via the Vail Pass in May. I spent the night at La Posada in Winslow AZ on the way back. Being retired I gave serious thought to staying on at La Posada until Albuqueque opened. Some 3 weeks later now, I am glad I didn't do it, but I have to say, laposada.com is my all-time favorite HPWC destination charging location. I have been there 2 times pre-Tesla and 3 times with Tesla. Every time I visit, I love it more. One of Kimbal Musk's favorite chefs, John Sharp, operates the Turquoise Room inside the old Santa Fe Railway hotel. For that reason, I believe it was the first stop on Elon's family tour of the National Parks last year. La Posada has an incredible "back story," real architectural significance, an unbelievable history and restoration as a railway hotel, and a signifcant place in Route 66 history. There is some compelling interest for everyone at La Posada. I can't recommend it highly enough.

scoots

Spent part of this afternoon downtown checking on building permits. Spoke with Mr. Land Clark, Chief Building Official of the City. He checked any permits associated with the Supercharger site. As far as he could tell, there are no pending permits. Everything is complete and final.

Went upstairs and spoke with Ms. Maggie Gould a planner in the Planning Dept. She is not aware of any issues with the project. She is very interested in helping make sure the project is completed.

Ms. Gould gave me a couple of numbers to call at PNM, the local power company. Will try that.

Stopped by the SC this afternoon. No activity. Can not check the power because I don't have a Tesla yet...boo hoo...

This is is the best info I could track down so far.

Thanks for the update. I've been watching this SC closely for the last few months thinking it would be set to go by now. I'll be passing through next Friday on my Phoenix to Orlando trek and this SC being active would be a big plus. I'll be sure to give it a try when I'm passing through and update my experience here. Keeping my fingers crossed and my chademo adapter warmed up just in case.

Greenlots could not unlock the CHAdeMO charger door for me at O'Neil's. U am at the Sheraton having breakfast. They only have 40 amp HPWC. I probably could have made it from Gallup to Santa Rosa if I hadn't stopped in Albuquerque.
Hopefully the Albuquerque SC will be open soon and it will not be a problem next time.

As far as Greenlots is concerned, calling the 800 number seemed like a pain to me. I did open an account with them for 20 bucks and the RFID on my keychain works much better. If you have need of them again you might want to go that route instead.

Greenlots could not unlock the CHAdeMO charger door for me at O'Neil's. U am at the Sheraton having breakfast. They only have 40 amp HPWC. I probably could have made it from Gallup to Santa Rosa if I hadn't stopped in Albuquerque.

My understanding is there are multiple CHAdeMO charging options in Albuquerque.
You might do a bit of research.

Hope you can find at least one valid one during this trip.