Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Anaheim, CA (LIVE 15 May 2019, 14 urban stalls, expansion permit Aug 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another update today. The big concrete posts are for light standards. Crews working hard to get it done.
IMG_8278.jpeg
IMG_8283.jpeg

For those who have not heard, Yorba Linda has the nickname of Teslatown: the town has a very high number of Teslas, to the point of being amusing. Yorba Linda is on the north side of the freeway from this new Supercharger station, but most of the population lives in homes. Hopefully, they will charge at home.

Pretty much every well to do city in California now is a Tesla Town lol.

The building permit is BLD2018-03898, applied for last August 24th and issued March 4th. The description doesn't give any indication that it would be V3 (which is expected since Elon said that the first V3 would break ground next month).

When I was at the design center at Hawthorne, there didn't seem to be any real way to see if it was a V3 charger or not. Unless someone can snap a picture of the nameplates of those PCS cabinets to see if its a different value (!= 145 kW), then we'd have to wait for the superchargers to be installed before we can be sure (smaller thinner cables).

I personally don't think we'll see any V3 sites deployed for a few more months although the architecture might be able to be changed out to V3 later on without re digging.

Just a minor update. Drove by today on the way to Costco. Does anyone know if the v3 superchargers look like the urban chargers? I can't tell by the cord. Maybe someone can measure using Photoshop...

In my opinion - these don't look to be v3 superchargers and instead look like urban chargers.

View attachment 396224 View attachment 396226
V3 chargers look like v2 chargers but with a slimmer charge cable.

I love the super compact back-to-back Urban pedestal installation here and at East Palo Alto.

The Urban Supercharger pedestals don't have room in the bottom for the cable cooling unit required for V3. The V3 pedestals look like the traditional Superchargers but have a thinner cable. I believe they may have some vents at the bottom too.

I love the super compact back-to-back Urban pedestal installation here and at East Palo Alto.

The Urban Supercharger pedestals don't have room in the bottom for the cable cooling unit required for V3. The V3 pedestals look like the traditional Superchargers but have a thinner cable. I believe they may have some vents at the bottom too.

I didn’t notice that...two charging cables per pedestal! Awesome

For those who have not heard, Yorba Linda has the nickname of Teslatown: the town has a very high number of Teslas, to the point of being amusing. Yorba Linda is on the north side of the freeway from this new Supercharger station, but most of the population lives in homes. Hopefully, they will charge at home.

Soon to be the "land of gracious supercharging"

Reactions: Ed Hart
Does anyone have experience with charge rates on urban chargers. I have used the ones at the Santa Ana mall and I know they are always limited to 50 kW. I read that they should be able to get around 78 kW. Do you think that it’s just a limitation of the Santa Ana chargers? Has anyone had any different results from urban chargers?

Does anyone have experience with charge rates on urban chargers. I have used the ones at the Santa Ana mall and I know they are always limited to 50 kW. I read that they should be able to get around 78 kW. Do you think that it’s just a limitation of the Santa Ana chargers? Has anyone had any different results from urban chargers?
Yes. Urban chargers that are installed permanently are 72kW dedicated stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Are you talking about the ones on the temporary pallet? Because Santa Ana doesn't have any "normal" urban superchargers. By which I mean permanently installed ones. These going in at Anaheim Hills, and those permanently installed at any other location, will give 72 kW. But the temporary set ups on the pallets aren't full powered. They only give 50 kW.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
Are you talking about the ones on the temporary pallet? Because Santa Ana doesn't have any "normal" urban superchargers. By which I mean permanently installed ones. These going in at Anaheim Hills, and those permanently installed at any other location, will give 72 kW. But the temporary set ups on the pallets aren't full powered. They only give 50 kW.
Yes that is what he is talking about and yes they are temporary therefore limited to 50kW.