Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a lot of pent up demand from the South Sound. I wonder if this is unusually high given the newness of the charger, or if this will be the norm.
I reckon this will be a busy location until Tacoma alleviates it. Glad that they’re 150kw which should help turnaround be quicker vs. locations like Issaquah and Lynnwood.

It was actually a full house for about 30 seconds right when I unplugged at 5:00pm.

I would estimate that around half of nearby Tesla owners aren't even aware that this supercharger exists yet. It seems obvious to all of us on the forum, but most Tesla owners don't participate in any Tesla forums so they won't discover the location until they randomly notice it in the Nav.

So I definitely think this will be a crowded location in the near term before other nearby locations are built and opened, especially on Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In the immediate future North Bend and possibly Tumwater will help some. I haven't seen any indication of any supercharger activity in Tacoma.

This is, by the way, one major problem with shopping mall superchargers. Locals will want to charge while they shop on the weekend and road trippers will also want to charge on the weekend (especially Friday and Sunday). There will even be some local apartment dwellers who may choose to fill up for the week on the weekend with Sunday being the most likely choice. So I can really see Sunday afternoon/early evening being quite busy here. Unfortunately Tesla owners don't seem to exhibit much flexibility in their supercharging times. They just seem to want to charge when they want to charge with little regard for when the supercharger might be busy or for staying out of the way of people who may need the supercharger more than they do.

.....not busy @5 am

20191028_052129.jpg

So this charger in Auburn is indeed up and operating? I see the photo evidence in this post, but my concern is the charger does not show up on the official Tesla Supercharger Website when I look.

Thanks for the heads up, I will need to use it this weekend if it is indeed open.

It was actually a full house for about 30 seconds right when I unplugged at 5:00pm.

I would estimate that around half of nearby Tesla owners aren't even aware that this supercharger exists yet. It seems obvious to all of us on the forum, but most Tesla owners don't participate in any Tesla forums so they won't discover the location until they randomly notice it in the Nav.

So I definitely think this will be a crowded location in the near term before other nearby locations are built and opened, especially on Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In the immediate future North Bend and possibly Tumwater will help some. I haven't seen any indication of any supercharger activity in Tacoma.

This is, by the way, one major problem with shopping mall superchargers. Locals will want to charge while they shop on the weekend and road trippers will also want to charge on the weekend (especially Friday and Sunday). There will even be some local apartment dwellers who may choose to fill up for the week on the weekend with Sunday being the most likely choice. So I can really see Sunday afternoon/early evening being quite busy here. Unfortunately Tesla owners don't seem to exhibit much flexibility in their supercharging times. They just seem to want to charge when they want to charge with little regard for when the supercharger might be busy or for staying out of the way of people who may need the supercharger more than they do.
Non-post related question. How did you get the "signature" in your post? And how did you count the number of Superchargers you visited? :):cool:

So this charger in Auburn is indeed up and operating? I see the photo evidence in this post, but my concern is the charger does not show up on the official Tesla Supercharger Website when I look.

Thanks for the heads up, I will need to use it this weekend if it is indeed open.
It is indeed open. As previously discussed, the Nav and website can take up to a month to update sometimes. This supercharger is in the Nav though, which always has a higher level of accuracy than the website.

Reactions: davidu406
That's a lot of pent up demand from the South Sound. I wonder if this is unusually high given the newness of the charger, or if this will be the norm.
I think it's very likely that this will be quite busy on Sunday afternoons/evenings. It's on a direct route back from Eastern Washington for many people in the south Sound.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see this one quite busy during the evening commute as a convenience charger for many. I'm not sure what the going electricity rate is here -- I have free supercharging on both our cars and didn't pay any attention. I see more and more Teslas around town every day, and I could already bet on at least a half dozen any time that I looked. We're not to Eastside (Bellevue/Redmond/Issaquah) levels yet, but the growth in the number of Teslas in Pierce County has been substantial.

10/12 occupied 4:30-5pm Sunday afternoon

@Chuq @MarcoRP please update with correct number of stalls.
I just missed you by a couple hours. It was 8/12 at 1:30pm. I made the most amazingly stupid newbie mistake. I plugged into a paired stall, not even realizing that it was a regular SC and not an urban one.:( I took a quick picture, ran over to the Mexican restaurant and didn’t notice the low charging rate until I checked my phone. When I looked at the picture, it proved my stupidity and there were 3 empty stalls in a row. Dumb. However, since lunch took longer than anticipated, it was a good thing that I paired up initially.

BTW, I agree with others who complained on the location. They should have put it in about 100 yds SW. There are at least 24 always empty spots, right next to a transformer, farther from Bed Bath & Beyond and closer to the Mexican restaurant. Given how quickly it’s filling, this is undersized from the beginning.

Also, as a traveler from eastern Washington, this is a difficult and more dangerous on/off location that I was anticipating. Lots of close vehicular and pedestrian interactions in the mall parking lot and roads leading to it. I won’t complain since it’s on a useful route for me, but I might skip and charge longer at Cle Elum when the bathroom is finished.

I think it's very likely that this will be quite busy on Sunday afternoons/evenings. It's on a direct route back from Eastern Washington for many people in the south Sound.
Yup, I was one of those on Sunday and Friday. Not my favorite travel days but couldn’t change it this time.

I was here Saturday. One or two spots were still open. I noticed a lot of people slowing down to look at the cars. These things are like advertisements since they're up front. Felt like I was in a fishbowl.

yeah I’m guessing Auburn isn’t an area that is as saturated with them yet. That being said, I own one of three on my street lol. A house about 6 houses down has two.

Reactions: goneskiian
I live in Seattle and people don’t really bat an eye at the car. I’m in Puyallup/South Hill often, and people constantly complement the car. Quite a wide swing in perception with just an hour’s drive.

the spread just hasn’t happened yet. It’s still somewhat rare to see them outside of Bellevue and Seattle but I see more and more as the days go by.

I live in Seattle and people don’t really bat an eye at the car. I’m in Puyallup/South Hill often, and people constantly complement the car. Quite a wide swing in perception with just an hour’s drive.

My record in Seattle is seeing 5 Teslas in a row. I've seen 6 go through one green light at Stone/34th in Seattle at rush hour before.