Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coldest drive I've ever done was Charlottetown to Toronto this past January. It was -16°C leaving Fredericton, and only got colder, bottoming out at -28°C (w/o the windchill because that's fake cold) between Laval and Ottawa. At those temperatures in a S 75D you must range charge to high states of charge just to get 200km range with safety. 2 hours driving = 1 hour of charging. A significant increase in the time required. It sucks.

Therefor IMHO the ideal distance between Superchargers in Canada is closer to 130km. Ideal for skipping every second one in temperatures as low as 0° while not range charging, and spaced close enough that extreme (not just the cold) weather doesn't cause you to range charge.

I have argued differently in my last 2 posts, but I have also never driven highway distances in -16 to -28, so I will defer to your experience.

But in "normal" winter cold, there is no way I would get as little as 200 km. Definitely down between 300 and 350, but...

Your point about "range charging" is, of course, correct. My arguments were only about ability to move that distance. The amount of charging time is also an important consideration.

On my last trip to NYC (and in general) I try to cruise into superchargers with ~20 km range left, and charge only to 1/2 full (to get the most fast charging as possible).

In the summer, that's easy because my car is always conservative when it estimates my range because I drive the speed limit.

Trying something similar in the winter though is a bit more harrowing--watching the estimated range left at arrival tick steadily downward is not for the timid.

So..... according time my excellent sources Tesla has struck a deal with Irving Stations and the Superchargers will be located at their locations in Salisbury,(starting Construction September) Lincoln (between Oromocto And Fredericton), Murray’s ( Woodstock)
Quispamsis Irving (Saint John) and Edmundston

That is what I hear as well.

Most are perfect choices - athough the Quispam Irving is a HUGE mistake. It should be the one on the west side of Saint John. Tesla is deferring to Irving on this - and it is a very, very bad location for us Tesla drivers vs the west side.

Just that it could potentially follow a similar pattern in many other cities - urban-style SCs at major shopping centres operated by Cadillac Fairview, in this case Champlain Place, or at Smart Centres, such as the one in Fredericton.
I kind of doubt they would do urban superchargers in the Maritimes. These superchargers will be mostly for road trippers.

That is what I hear as well.

Most are perfect choices - athough the Quispam Irving is a HUGE mistake. It should be the one on the west side of Saint John. Tesla is deferring to Irving on this - and it is a very, very bad location for us Tesla drivers vs the west side.
I thought that Baileyville would do the trick for you guys.

So..... according time my excellent sources Tesla has struck a deal with Irving Stations and the Superchargers will be located at their locations in Salisbury,(starting Construction September) Lincoln (between Oromocto And Fredericton), Murray’s ( Woodstock)
Quispamsis Irving (Saint John) and Edmundston
Did you get the opening dates for all of them? @BlueShift can you start with Salisbury please? Also, where in Edmundston ?

I thought that Baileyville would do the trick for you guys.

Best ones to hit depend on so many variables.

E.g. if were coming home from PE on last year's vacation to NS/PE:
Distance from Charlottetown, PE to
Salisbury, NB: About 192km
Quispamis, NB: About 300km
Baileyville, ME: About 443km
Brewer, ME: about 586km.

Intended Tesla is the SR.
Rated range 220mi/~354km.
Quoted fastest rate of charge, about 210km/30mins. That'd be consistent with 10% to 70% charging.

Given the warm temperatures but relatively low speeds for most of the route, if able to start with a full battery, for fastest travel we'd probably want to
(1) hit Quispamis, NB,
(2) quick charge to reach Baileyville, ME.
(3a) quick charge to get to Brewer, ME
(4a) quick charge(, quick lunch) go home
(3b) longer charge(, lunch), go home
(I live in Central Maine).

But that's on a warm summer day, not in winter.

Best ones to hit depend on so many variables.

E.g. if were coming home from PE on last year's vacation to NS/PE:
Distance from Charlottetown, PE to
Salisbury, NB: About 192km
Quispamis, NB: About 300km
Baileyville, ME: About 443km
Brewer, ME: about 586km.

Intended Tesla is the SR.
Rated range 220mi/~354km.
Quoted fastest rate of charge, about 210km/30mins. That'd be consistent with 10% to 70% charging.

Given the warm temperatures but relatively low speeds for most of the route, if able to start with a full battery, for fastest travel we'd probably want to
(1) hit Quispamis, NB,
(2) quick charge to reach Baileyville, ME.
(3a) quick charge to get to Brewer, ME
(4a) quick charge(, quick lunch) go home
(3b) longer charge(, lunch), go home
(I live in Central Maine).

But that's on a warm summer day, not in winter.
I think you’re forgetting that you’ll have Aulac very soon

From the SJ area - sure. But Fredericton to Bangor would benefit from a West Saint John stop in winter... and perhaps other times. Quispam is out in the middle of nothingland highway-wise...
You would also consider starting off from Woodstock then riding in the fast lane till Brewer.

You would also consider starting off from Woodstock then riding in the fast lane till Brewer.
True - if you don't mind going backwards for a 100km or about an hour to get to Woodstock/Houlton. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me - but that just me... You could also cut through the backroads.

But again, in this neck of the woods, hitting major highway intersections makes a ton more sense than in other more urban/congested areas of Canada and the US.

7AEA4A18-FE48-4634-8503-7DD97AABCA01.jpeg
0F0A4161-BD35-4B94-9272-19848974F403.jpeg
FDC50BD1-5A74-4A8C-BAE7-126ECDAACD72.jpeg
Not sure I’m understanding the whole Woodstock convo re west Saint John
Calais is getting a supercharger and Woodstock to Brewer is only 200kms my 85 will go that far no problem in the winter and Quispamsis Irving is right off the main highway

Here’s a few more pics From Aulac today

Cleaned up basically added a few posts beside chargers and NB Power section is tideyed up

Reactions: MarcoRP
View attachment 320754 View attachment 320755 View attachment 320756 Not sure I’m understanding the whole Woodstock convo re west Saint John
Calais is getting a supercharger and Woodstock to Brewer is only 200kms my 85 will go that far no problem in the winter and Quispamsis Irving is right off the main highway

Here’s a few more pics From Aulac today

Cleaned up basically added a few posts beside chargers and NB Power section is tideyed up
Yeah, can we get the off topic posts shunted over to the pinned Atlantic Canada thread?

So it looks like Aulac just needs its transformer. Think I’ll take a run out to Enfield and see if we have any cones up at either location.