Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How things change. I drove that route probably 15-20 times over the last 5 years. Almost never anyone else but me. Now things are getting busy everywhere. I really hope Tesla will be able to catch up in terms of Supercharger capacity.
I've noticed that all the rural supercharger congestion problems are on main routes emanating from Southern California. In particular, the bottlenecks lately have been (in order of congestion) Quartzsite, US395 (Mojave, Lone Pine, Inyokern), Beaver and Kingman. This makes sense since such a high percentage of Teslas (especially Model 3s) have been sold in California. Some of these routes (especially Quartzsite) connect Southern California with other high Tesla density cities.

Of course there are also congestion issues in urban areas, but this is less of an issue since there are often so many more options within a reasonable radius. And honestly much of this congestion is caused by locals wanting to charge in prime time, so I don't have a lot of sympathy. The problem with the congested rural superchargers is they are very difficult to avoid, especially if you have a smaller battery or if the conditions are not favorable.

What Tesla has done on major travel corridors connecting high Tesla density cities is create high stall count supercharger sites as a stop gap at strategic intervals. Along I-5 these are Kettleman City, Mount Shasta, Springfield, Centralia and Arlington. You can easily travel I-5 all the way from Mexico to Canada without much concern of a supercharger wait because these large sites exist. The other similar site is Baker on the LA-Vegas route.

So now the web of Tesla density is spreading further away from the coast and Tesla needs to put in large superchargers along the congested routes mentioned above. What I would recommend is 20-stall sites (or possibly 10-stall v3) in Blythe, Cedar City, Kingman and Ridgecrest. The current locations at Needles, Kingman and Inyokern leave something to be desired so might as well just build new ones at the other exit in Kingman and somewhere in Ridgecrest. I know Ridgecrest is not a GREAT town either, but it's got to be better than Inyokern and unfortunately Mojave and Lone Pine don't properly split the distance between LA and Mammoth Lakes.

Or if they replaced the current 4 120kw stall + 2 urban chargers in Beaver with a larger 10+ stall V3 setup that would fix it.
Yes that would fix it. It seems like it would cost about the same amount as building a new station in Cedar City. More locations would give us more options on driving the I-15. Myself I would rather just skip Beaver and stop somewhere else.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Beaver SC is having issues. There are 4 normal SCers (rated at 150 kW in the NAV), and 3 cables on an urban charger platform. The urban charger maxes out at 40-50 kW but one of the cables doesn’t charge.

Of the 4 regular SC, they max out 50 kW total across the two hookups. So you share 50 kW. I was at 24 kW for an hour.

Skip Beaver if you can!
The bit with the mobile pallet chargers is all exactly according to design. Even though there is the hardware of 3 charging posts on those pallets (for the pallets with the urban style posts, anyways), only 2 are ever wired up hot in any installation. The third isn't electrified. Having three on there just means that they can use the same pallet in a wider variety of parking lot/stall geometries and still be able to serve 2 cars simultaneously. And even though they use the urban charger posts/cabinet which deliver up to 72 kW in hardwired installations, on the mobile pallets they are set to max out at 50 kW. So, all of your experience with it was exactly as it should be.

For the regular superchargers, yeah, that sounds like a problem.

Here they are.

Btw I’ve never heard of any Tesla chargers called “Three Prong”.
This is the post with the temporary urban stalls pictured. The non-functioning plug is the one closest to the camera. I guess people must have been backing in perpendicular to the bollard, which does make some sense. At the other locations where I've seen these, they are placed in between marked parking stalls, so this type of blunder would be impossible. Still, all in all, doesn't seem like a huge problem. Maybe they could put some yellow caution tape around it but that might cause further confusion about the safety of the other two stalls.

Beaver is not a Supercharger station. 48 kWh is the best it can produce. Many have contacted Tesla to let them know that some energy issue is the likely etiology, but I recommend ignoring it until they expand it and repair it. I’ve traveled much and this is the only Supercharger station I’ve encountered that should be renamed a Tesla non-supercharger station until fixed.

This is an interesting development. And by interesting, I mean not good.

WHAT'S INSIDE? on Twitter

Looks like Tesla may have a rent issue here, and the stations are being covered up by the property owner. Obviously I don't know this guy from Santa, but What's Inside is a generally trustworthy source.

And of course I've got a trip scheduled to So Utah next week...

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This is an interesting development. And by interesting, I mean not good.

WHAT'S INSIDE? on Twitter

Looks like Tesla may have a rent issue here, and the stations are being covered up by the property owner. Obviously I don't know this guy from Santa, but What's Inside is a generally trustworthy source.

And of course I've got a trip scheduled to So Utah next week...
We will be driving through this Saturday ourselves. We should be able to charge up most of the way in Richfield and skip this location, if necessary. Others don't have that option.

Beaver was working fine on Sunday and yesterday. I was expecting a crowd on Sunday afternoon, given the end of the holiday weekend, but the six stalls didn't fill that I saw and I was watching much of the day as I approached Beaver, my last Supercharging stop. On Sunday I took one of the mobile stalls since my S-60 doesn't charge much faster than 48 kW anyway and I figured I'd leave the regular stalls to the faster charging cars. I was headed to Cedar Breaks National Monument only an hour away, so no hurry.

Yesterday, Tuesday, there was only one car there when I arrived in the morning and I had it to myself shortly after. Typical weekday I expect. The regular stalls were working at full speed so far as I could tell - my car starts at about 90 kW for a few seconds before dropping to around 75 kW when near empty (3-8%) and then tapers rapidly down from there.

So, I'm not clear about what time of the day and week Beaver is supposed to fill up. I was worried about Sunday for nothing.

Last edited: