Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any tips for Cedar Breaks (or other Utah NPS sites), @dgpcolorado (or anyone else)? I'll be road-tripping from Denver to there, Bryce, Hovenweep, Canyons of the Ancients, Natural Bridges, Rainbow Bridge (via boat), and Capitol Reef starting this Saturday.
Cedar Breaks doesn't have any electrical pedestals in the campground, so you need enough charge to get there and back to Beaver or to your next destination charging stop. Cedar Breaks is at 10,300 feet so it is cool in summer, unlike most of the desert parks. Although you can make reservations, the campground at Cedar Breaks usually has walk-up sites available.

I haven't been to the others on your list (in my Tesla).

Reactions: Zaxxon
Cedar Breaks doesn't have any electrical pedestals in the campground, so you need enough charge to get there and back to Beaver or to your next destination charging stop. Cedar Breaks is at 10,300 feet so it is cool in summer, unlike most of the desert parks. Although you can make reservations, the campground at Cedar Breaks usually has walk-up sites available.

I haven't been to the others on your list (in my Tesla).

Thanks. I think I have charging covered (all lodging we'll use has L2 charging, so as long as there aren't too many Teslas we'll be ok). Any general tips of things not to miss?

Thanks. I think I have charging covered (all lodging we'll use has L2 charging, so as long as there aren't too many Teslas we'll be ok). Any general tips of things not to miss?
So far as Cedar Breaks NM is concerned, it is fairly small so you can cover the main trails in a day or two. The wildflower season is very late this year — they were barely out of the ground two days ago and there are still patches of snow, which makes for some brief muddy spots on Rampart Trail. If you can arrange to hit Cedar Breaks next week, as opposed to this weekend, there might be more wildflowers. In general, Point Supreme overlook should be better for pictures at midday to afternoon since the canyon is in shadows in the morning. The Rampart Trail is 4 miles round trip with terrific vistas and a close look at the bristlecone pines (the ones that are sheltered away from the ridge are huge — I didn't know they got that big).

Typical vistas from Rampart Trail:
Rampart trail vista Cedar Breaks NM2098edsf 8-27-18.jpg

Rampart trail vista Cedar Breaks NM2092-97sf 8-27-18.JPG

Weathered bristlecone pine on the ridge:
Bristlecone pine Cedar Breaks NM2090sf 8-27-18.jpg

Attachments

• Bristlecone pine Cedar Breaks NM2090sf 8-27-18.jpg
    Bristlecone pine Cedar Breaks NM2090sf 8-27-18.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 32
I was at Beaver UT SC on 9/7 and 10 days later on 9/16. On 9/16, a crew was demo'ing the vacuum cleaners and cutting the asphalt and opening up the transformer enclosure. I talked to the crew and they said they were putting in 4 new chargers. Didn't ask them if the 3 temp 72kW chargers will remain.

In the pic you can see the concrete base where the vacuums once stood. The in ground suction ducting under the cleaners was still there when I peeked in. I suppose they will have to demo concrete base and then fill the duct.

IMG_20190916_123616__01.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps the vacuum will go where the temporary chargers are now. By the way, there are only two temp chargers; the third pedestal is to allow the unit to be used in different configurations. They run at 48 kW, as measured by my car.

I met the carwash owner and host of the Supercharger Station in June 2016. Users of the Superchargers were less common then and he asked several of us how we liked our cars. Nice guy, seemed very supportive of Tesla.

Great news! This location really needed an upgrade, I had issues charging this summer and it was packed. People gave up and drove to St George. I hope V3, this is a key supercharger heading to the national parks (Bryce and Zion) as well as road trips.

@BlueShift can we get an update on supercharge.info? According to a Post on the Utah Tesla Club on FB this is going to be changing from 4 stalls to 8 stalls. No info yet on whether the 4 new stalls with be V2 or V3.
Thanks!

There isn't an "under upgrade" status on sc.info - so once the new stalls go live, it will be updated with the new info!

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
This is one of the stations where you have to pay close attention to the stall numbers to avoid sharing a charger. In the existing area on the left, you WILL be sharing a charger if you leave only 1 stall between cars. In the new area on the right, you WILL NOT be sharing a charger if you leave 1 or 2 stalls between the cars. This could be fixed (made "normal") if the connections to stalls 2B and 1A were exchanged during this construction. Then the stall numbers would be 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B.

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
This could be fixed (made "normal") if the connections to stalls 2B and 1A were exchanged during this construction. Then the stall numbers would be 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B.
Trying to rewire superchargers like that isn't a trivial change like swapping which breaker a circuit is connected to in your home panel. They would have to disconnect and remove all the equipment, tear up the whole equipment pad to reroute the conduit ends, then repour the pad, replace the equipment and reconnect everything. Basically it would only be a worthwhile consideration if Tesla was already going to redo the whole site as a V3 supercharger. Otherwise it'd never be worth the hassle or the cost. Since they are just adding new stalls and not changing the entire site, it'll stay the way it has always been.

Trying to rewire superchargers like that isn't a trivial change like swapping which breaker a circuit is connected to in your home panel. They would have to disconnect and remove all the equipment, tear up the whole equipment pad to reroute the conduit ends, then repour the pad, replace the equipment and reconnect everything. Basically it would only be a worthwhile consideration if Tesla was already going to redo the whole site as a V3 supercharger. Otherwise it'd never be worth the hassle or the cost. Since they are just adding new stalls and not changing the entire site, it'll stay the way it has always been.

I’ve worked in high voltage electrical design for 45 years and am very familiar with electrical circuits and conduit runs, having designed thousands of them. From what I see in post #2 of this thread, there are probably only 6 conduits in the existing installation, including 2 from the distribution panel south of the carwash building. This is a trivial change, involving one new conduit or wireway between existing pedestals 2A and 1A and 2 new cable pulls of approximately 20 ft. and 40 ft. No existing conduit would be disturbed. However, I do agree that it will stay the way it has always been.

I’m having cataract surgery in 3 hours. I’ll draw up a sketch and post it when I can see again.

This is a trivial change, involving one new conduit or wireway between existing pedestals 2A and 1A and 2 new cable pulls of approximately 20 ft. and 40 ft. No existing conduit would be disturbed. However, I do agree that it will stay the way it has always been.
Ah, you mean do it the smart way, not the dumb one I outlined. Yeah, fixing it at the charging post end would be way easier than trying to do it at the cabinet end.

Yes that would fix it. It seems like it would cost about the same amount as building a new station in Cedar City. More locations would give us more options on driving the I-15. Myself I would rather just skip Beaver and stop somewhere else.

More options is better than increasing the charger count at a single location IMHO. I would have rather charged at Cedar City than Beaver. I started at Richfield SC that morning and went to Beaver to top off before heading into Vegas. As headwinds were very very strong the entire day, I couldn't make it into Vegas and had to go to St George. Cedar City would have provided another option, not to mention that Cedar City appears a to be a gateway into the Zions.