Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaverton, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A crew from a local electrical contractor was at work today:

Cedar Hills Crew.jpg

They said this was the first supercharger job they had done for Tesla.

I got a good view into a V3 supercharger cabinet while they were pulling wires.

V3 Open Cabinet.jpg

Anyone know the functions of the rack mounted boxes on the right? The eight lower boxes are presumably associated with the + and - lines to each of the four pedestals, perhaps rectifiers? The five upper boxes are a bit of a mystery to me. Controllers for each pedestal plus one system controller?

I asked one of the electricians, but he had no idea. Just pulling the wires...

Anyone know the functions of the rack mounted boxes on the right? The eight lower boxes are presumably associated with the + and - lines to each of the four pedestals, perhaps rectifiers? The five upper boxes are a bit of a mystery to me. Controllers for each pedestal plus one system controller?

I believe the top 5 boxes are AC->DC converters that dump power onto a shared bus used by the 4 chargers. The bottom 8 boxes are DC-DC converters, two per stall, that modulate the power to provide the different voltage range needed by each car while charging. The car starts at about 275V empty and goes up to about 400V fully charged.

Every car charging will be at their own voltage based on SOC, so they all need their own DC-DC converters.

Reactions: Big Earl
Did you ask them why it looks like the pedestals are installed backwards? (I'm not saying that they are, or can't work that way, it just seems unusual.)
I would guess the lines will move about 1-2 ft to the right to be centered on the pedestal. Yes, they appear to be oriented for "left handed" people vs "right handed" but does that really matter? I have not noticed any marking that says "front" or "back" on the pedestals so unless there are specific directions included, it must be up to the installer. Or they just missed something since it their first install. If @Engineer Ron happens to chat with them again, maybe he can ask if they have another install scheduled after this one.

I would guess the lines will move about 1-2 ft to the right to be centered on the pedestal. Yes, they appear to be oriented for "left handed" people vs "right handed" but does that really matter?
I don't think any amount of moving the lines will make the one stall near the post usable... It looks too far back for the cable to reach.

Just don't be surprised if they have to rip it all out and start over.

I don't think any amount of moving the lines will make the one stall near the post usable... It looks too far back for the cable to reach.

Just don't be surprised if they have to rip it all out and start over.
All of the stalls are the same distance back from the current parking lines so either they all reach or none of them reach. Based on this picture here is what I think they will do.
1670291091083.png

To the left, the lines will move to the right and be centered on the pedestals. It is hard to tell based on the angle but the pedestal immediately to the right might be far enough over where moving that line to the right will enable it to reach the back drivers corner of the car. Your bumper would likely need to almost be touching the pillar but it might work. If they are going to place the parking stops at the current back parking line, then yes, that stall probably needs to be relocated as people would hit the pillar before the parking stop. I can't imagine the Tesla site engineers would make that mistake on the drawings (not knowing where physical infrastructure is and placing a pedestal where it is unreachable) since they should have done a site visit and have the engineering drawings and site plans for the parking structure as it was originally constructed.

The pedestals appear to be about 3ft from the back parking line (those black carts in the pictures posted above are usually about 3ft long) so your rear bumper being even with the line would give the cable about 2ft of extra reach beyond the line which should be plenty to reach the charge port.

Yeah, moving the lines a bit to the right will do it for most of them. The one to the right of the pillar will be the interesting one. I agree it is hard to believe they didn’t consider the pillar or that they accidentally put the chargers in backward. Of course I am old, if I had a dollar every time someone looked like the were planning to do something and I said “They wouldn’t be that dumb” and then they went ahead and did it I could have retired a few years ago. I doubt I will go to this charger anyway, it is over 3 miles from my house, the one at Target off 185th is barely 2 miles 😬

Reactions: MP3Mike
Perhaps someone who is left-handed could chime in, but I don't believe installing this way is easier for lefties either. I have seen other superchargers where the handles are installed "backwards" and, while not unusable by any means, it is inconvenient. And people have complained in those threads as well. You basically have to use both hands or do a super awkward twisting motion with one hand to grab and plug in the handle. I don't believe this would be any different for a lefty although perhaps the one handed twisting motion would be slightly less awkward with your dominant hand.

I'm pretty sure it's a mistake that they installed them this way, but not one that Tesla would make them tear up concrete to correct.

Reactions: Big Earl
Of the numerous Google images I scrolled through, I found only a single image with stall behind the car and cable holstering on the right side, which was from a dailytrib.com article for a Llano, TX SC. I did some more “detective work” and looks up the Google Map images for this SC (link here), and attached a few here.

As you can see, theirs is setup with the stall exactly center of the parking spot lines. This would work better than having the stall between the parking lines so hopefully this is what they’re going for. But even still, it seems it would be more ideal to have it holster on the left. A couple of the images even show the cable twisted as it’s put back. 🙄

Attachments

• A49E4C60-60EF-4B3B-ADC1-A7B52F7CC7D8.jpeg
    A49E4C60-60EF-4B3B-ADC1-A7B52F7CC7D8.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 70CBB521-3B68-4FB5-BDF2-0B071F3AEEE6.jpeg
    70CBB521-3B68-4FB5-BDF2-0B071F3AEEE6.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 63
  • F1863E5F-8B06-45E8-9B91-0D86B72621C5.jpeg
    F1863E5F-8B06-45E8-9B91-0D86B72621C5.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 0FBEF90E-CFA0-4165-8CA1-0519C9A271D7.jpeg
    0FBEF90E-CFA0-4165-8CA1-0519C9A271D7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 6BBF7A79-6B0C-480C-B13A-1BADA2D6D45D.jpeg
    6BBF7A79-6B0C-480C-B13A-1BADA2D6D45D.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 61
Perhaps someone who is left-handed could chime in, but I don't believe installing this way is easier for lefties either. I have seen other superchargers where the handles are installed "backwards" and, while not unusable by any means, it is inconvenient. And people have complained in those threads as well. You basically have to use both hands or do a super awkward twisting motion with one hand to grab and plug in the handle. I don't believe this would be any different for a lefty although perhaps the one handed twisting motion would be slightly less awkward with your dominant hand.

I'm pretty sure it's a mistake that they installed them this way, but not one that Tesla would make them tear up concrete to correct.
When I called it left handed I was suggesting it was easier for left handers to use. Just that it’s opposite.

I have not seen how the pedestals attach to the bases and if there are electronics opposite where the conduit stubs come through but maybe it is possible to just unbolt the pedestal and turn it around? That would be easy.

But only one stall has a massive concrete pillar at the back of it. Not sure how you are missing that.
I am not missing that. If they install parking stops, they will all be at the same point and likely not at the back stripe. Your bumper would line up with the back stripe so the stop would be placed 18” or so in front of the line. All stops would be placed at the same point so either all the chargers would reach, or none. You are assuming that you would need to back all the way up the pedestal for it to reach (and I agree that you couldn’t do that where the pillar is). That would be the case of the cord was 2ft long, but it’s not.

Charge ports are located rear wards of the rear tires so as long as the cord reaches the parking stops/curb, the cord will reach the charge port. Seems like a pretty easy measurement to include. If the cord is 5ft long, the parking stops or curb must be less than 5ft from the base of the pedestal. Then you take the measurement of the rear overhang from the center of the rear tires and makes sure the stops/curb are that far in front of any obstacles like this pillar. If adding all those measurements equals greater than the cord length, you can’t place a stall there. I find it hard to believe that this many years in to building superchargers, Tesla wouldn’t account for that in site design.

When I called it left handed I was suggesting it was easier for left handers to use. Just that it’s opposite.

I have not seen how the pedestals attach to the bases and if there are electronics opposite where the conduit stubs come through but maybe it is possible to just unbolt the pedestal and turn it around? That would be easy.

I am not missing that. If they install parking stops, they will all be at the same point and likely not at the back stripe. Your bumper would line up with the back stripe so the stop would be placed 18” or so in front of the line. All stops would be placed at the same point so either all the chargers would reach, or none. You are assuming that you would need to back all the way up the pedestal for it to reach (and I agree that you couldn’t do that where the pillar is). That would be the case of the cord was 2ft long, but it’s not.

Charge ports are located rear wards of the rear tires so as long as the cord reaches the parking stops/curb, the cord will reach the charge port. Seems like a pretty easy measurement to include. If the cord is 5ft long, the parking stops or curb must be less than 5ft from the base of the pedestal. Then you take the measurement of the rear overhang from the center of the rear tires and makes sure the stops/curb are that far in front of any obstacles like this pillar. If adding all those measurements equals greater than the cord length, you can’t place a stall there. I find it hard to believe that this many years in to building superchargers, Tesla wouldn’t account for that in site design.
The concrete pillar is much more of an obstacle than a parking stop though. The rear of your car can hang over a parking stop, in fact it is expected.

The concrete pillar is much more of an obstacle than a parking stop though. The rear of your car can hang over a parking stop, in fact it is expected.
So you are sticking with the explanation that Tesla engineers didn't factor this in the the station design? I have provided several ways that they will prevent a car from hitting the post unless you drive over a parking stop and you still seem to think they will not prevent people from doing this. We will see when it is complete and turned on but I'd guess all the stalls will have parking stops even with wherever the one for the pillar stall needs to be to prevent a Tesla from hitting the pillar when they are touching the parking stop. If I have time later, I will measure the images and give you some real world dimensions and see if that quells your fears.

Based on this drawing of a supercharger pedestal, the cable is roughly 80" long. Obviously that is a straight line measurement and the charge port is lower than the top attachment point so you won't have an 80" reach but you can assume at least 60".
Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 17-10-40 S-502 - STRUCTURAL DETAILS - B22-0753 REVIEWED PLAN SET REV3...png

Based on the 66.5" height of the pedestal and this picture, the front of the pedestal to the left side of the back parking line is 33". That leaves 27" for the charging port to still be within reach. So the charging cable will reach 27" over that rear parking line. The rear parking line is in front of (almost even with) the pillar so as long as the parking stops are placed such that the rear bumper will be greater than 6" and less than 21" from the pillar, the cable will reach and the car will be safely 6" from the pillar. Assuming the charge port is 6" forward from the most rearward part of the rear bumper.
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 5.06.53 PM.png

Yes, the clearances are tight, but it is not like the cable won't reach past the white line. If they don't put in parking stops, then yes, it will be a S show. Too bad we don't have plans for this site as it would show how they plan to alleviate the pillar problem.

Wow, guess I am lazy, I was just going to wait until the darn thing opened and back my car in and see how it works. I suppose we can keep talking about . You would think they have to have tire stops, but if they put a tire stop on the one space to keep from hitting the concrete pillar instead of the charger then the reach of the cable will be an issue. Doesn’t look like there is room to back the car up past the right side of the pillar, the charger would end up towards the middle of the car and the cable might not reach. I think I will just wait and see 🧐

Reactions: PLUS EV
So you are sticking with the explanation that Tesla engineers didn't factor this in the the station design? I have provided several ways that they will prevent a car from hitting the post unless you drive over a parking stop and you still seem to think they will not prevent people from doing this. We will see when it is complete and turned on but I'd guess all the stalls will have parking stops even with wherever the one for the pillar stall needs to be to prevent a Tesla from hitting the pillar when they are touching the parking stop. If I have time later, I will measure the images and give you some real world dimensions and see if that quells your fears.
You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say any of the things you describe.

They will likely put in parking stops and ideally the parking stop in that space would prevent a Tesla (without bike rack, etc.) from hitting the pillar. What I am not sure about is whether the supercharger plug would still be able to reach said Tesla in said position. Without being there in person, it's difficult to tell.

It wouldn't necessarily be a mistake from a "Tesla engineer" as you describe. It could be that the construction crew missed some detail in the design or didn't execute the design properly. I've been following supercharger construction sites for over 6 years now and I have seen some crazy mistakes, including but not limited to, stalls that are completely unreachable after activation, concrete getting torn up and re-poured multiple times prior to opening. I even saw one supercharger go from v2 to urban and back to v2 before it finally opened.

Lastly, contrary to what a lot of people seem to post on here, parking stops are not universal. There are dozens of superchargers out there with no parking stops. So they should not be assumed as part of the construction process unless you have seen the site plans or are aware of local statutes that require them. (This is just a general rant and is likely not applicable here since it looks like we have site plans with parking stops for this location.)

But it appears Tesla thinks it will work...

View attachment 882928

View attachment 882929
No parking stops in front of the columns...
Nice find. Can you share where you found that? I must just be missing the Beaverton permit site in my searches.

Looks like Tesla expects you to use your back up camera to not hit the pillar.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say any of the things you describe.

They will likely put in parking stops and ideally the parking stop in that space would prevent a Tesla (without bike rack, etc.) from hitting the pillar. What I am not sure about is whether the supercharger plug would still be able to reach said Tesla in said position. Without being there in person, it's difficult to tell.

It wouldn't necessarily be a mistake from a "Tesla engineer" as you describe. It could be that the construction crew missed some detail in the design or didn't execute the design properly. I've been following supercharger construction sites for over 6 years now and I have seen some crazy mistakes, including but not limited to, stalls that are completely unreachable after activation, concrete getting torn up and re-poured multiple times prior to opening. I even saw one supercharger go from v2 to urban and back to v2 before it finally opened.

Lastly, contrary to what a lot of people seem to post on here, parking stops are not universal. There are dozens of superchargers out there with no parking stops. So they should not be assumed as part of the construction process unless you have seen the site plans or are aware of local statutes that require them. (This is just a general rant and is likely not applicable here since it looks like we have site plans with parking stops for this location.)
In response to MP3Mike, I mentioned parking stops and that if designed properly, the parking stops would be placed so you wouldn’t hit the pillars and still be able to charge. Your response:

The only way the pillar is more of an obstacle is if they were to forgo parking stops. If parking stops are installed, you’d have to drive over the stop to hit the pillar. You may not have typed exactly those words but that’s how your words in response to mine are taken. If you meant something else, I apologize for my reaction and response but I can only respond to what you type. There are no intentions conveyed in the written word.

I appreciate your knowledge and insight and this is a discussion board where things are discussed. There are going to be disagreements amd hopefully no feelings are hurt.

Thanks to Mike we now have pans that show parking stops on all but two stalls, the two(!) with pillars. It looks about as I describe minus the stops by the pillars. A car backed up to almost touch the pillar will be at the same distance away from the pedestals as one backed up to the parking stops. There must have been some reason why the pedestals couldn’t be placed closer to the stalls. Maybe with how far forward the cars would stick out if the stops had to be ,over out along with the pedestals. Hopefully it’s active soon so we can see it in action.