Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, this is referencing the two tight supercharger stalls in Bethesda at Motgonery/Westfields Mall. Those two stalls are know for extremely slow charge as they run off Mall power, so they are not true super chargers. Most MS cars need to sit for about an hour to be almost fully charged. Not only that but two spaces in a mall, just outside of DC means that there is generally a line of cars waiting to get charged.
The new Laurel SC will be complete by July 1.

I realize you were referencing the "temporary" mall superchargers but when you said an expanded installation would be a few miles away I thought that meant the Laurel site. Sorry for any confusion.

I realize you were referencing the "temporary" mall superchargers but when you said an expanded installation would be a few miles away I thought that meant the Laurel site. Sorry for any confusion.

No problem, Half $ Bill. The Laurel, Md Superchargers are 23 miles alway off of 95. For us DC/MD/Va people, that is a hike.
The Tesla staff at Montgomery Msll and The DC showroom have told me that 8-12 stalls are "in the works" to replace the current Mall SCs. I was told the new Superchargers would be "very close to the current location but not in the Mall, likely off of 270.

No problem, Half $ Bill. The Laurel, Md Superchargers are 23 miles alway off of 95. For us DC/MD/Va people, that is a hike.
The Tesla staff at Montgomery Msll and The DC showroom have told me that 8-12 stalls are "in the works" to replace the current Mall SCs. I was told the new Superchargers would be "very close to the current location but not in the Mall, likely off of 270.
That's great - I grew up by Montgomery mall (actually remember when there was no Mall) and I travel from Richmond to Frederick Md to visit my sister... this is great news for when I get my Model X in June!

That's great - I grew up by Montgomery mall (actually remember when there was no Mall) and I travel from Richmond to Frederick Md to visit my sister... this is great news for when I get my Model X in June!
Update, VaBarb!
I am sorry to report that I was given false info by a Tesla rep/owner/advisor at Montgomery/Westfields mall last week. Ugh, I was not happy to hear yesterday, from the manager at the same location that the Bethesda location will be taken OFF the map as a super charger location. The new, replacement stalls that the previous owner advisor told me about last week are in Laurel Maryland, which is 20 miles away from the current Bethesda location-no where near your route to Frederick. I was not pleased to learn that the first rep was way off about the location. I think he was telling me what he though I wanted to hear.
Proper super chargers along the 270 corridor are critical for the DC/MD/Va area. Laurel is fine for I-95 drivers but Tesla is going to disappoint a lot of owners and potential owners if inadequate super chargers are not available near 270 at the Capital beltway.

• Informative
Reactions: chickensevil
Update, VaBarb!
I am sorry to report that I was given false info by a Tesla rep/owner/advisor at Montgomery/Westfields mall last week. Ugh, I was not happy to hear yesterday, from the manager at the same location that the Bethesda location will be taken OFF the map as a super charger location. The new, replacement stalls that the previous owner advisor told me about last week are in Laurel Maryland, which is 20 miles away from the current Bethesda location-no where near your route to Frederick. I was not pleased to learn that the first rep was way off about the location. I think he was telling me what he though I wanted to hear.
Proper super chargers along the 270 corridor are critical for the DC/MD/Va area. Laurel is fine for I-95 drivers but Tesla is going to disappoint a lot of owners and potential owners if inadequate super chargers are not available near 270 at the Capital beltway.
Thx for the update... that's a shame...

This is disappointing. I was told the same thing by a Tesla OA out of DC a few weeks ago (while test-driving a 90D!). It was just conversation while we were driving but he mentioned that the existing two stalls would be replaced by many stalls (24?) somewhere where ICEing would be less of a problem like the outside parking lot farther from the mall. I believe he said that the Bethesda SC was one of the most used in the country so there was reason to upgrade. We were near Montgomery Mall and talking about this site, no chance he was talking about Laurel, which also came up. I guess this was lost in translation between management and front line Tesla employees.

Reactions: Karynt
-- the below gathered from twitter .. no idea if it's accurate or not ..

In Montgomery County, NIH building is under lockdown, all recreational facilities are under lockdown, all schools are under lockdown. Looks like the shooter is a cop, and is on the loose (i.e. still dangerous). How about that! Also, silver spring giant saw a shooting, an innocent woman died (sucks!), no idea if the two are connected. ..

Update: looks like he's been caught. Goddamn he is uglier than sin, God's gift to Aardvarks, even dogs close their eyes when they hump his leg.

3 shot, 3 killed in separate shootings in Maryland - CNN.com

Last edited:

Well, back on Supercharging... you don't want to Supercharger at Montgomery Mall if you can help it anyways.

From Richmond, the one I use most often is the Woodbridge Supercharger. I wish it was closer to I-95, but oh, well. It's 75 miles from the Glen Allen Supercharger, so if you are coming from somewhere else in northern Richmond, it's really no more than 85 miles. To Frederick, the jump is then another 65-75 miles depending on where you go in Frederick. The entire one way trip is probably around 140-160 miles which is easily doable in a single jump in the very cold temps in a Model X 90D, even at 90% charge as long as your speeds are reasonable (ie not over 80 mph, and not a lot of bursting up and down in speed). The Woodbridge Supercharger is about half way through the journey, so it is possible to charge to 90% at Woodbridge, drive to Frederick, and then come back to Woodbridge to charge for the journey home. Ideally, you should charge at your sister's house, even if it is 110v @ 8 amps to pick up 20-30 miles or so of range in 10 hours overnight or at least negate vampire drain in the very, very cold winter nights. If you drive up on a Friday night, stay through to Sunday mid-day, then you can pick up 75-90 miles of range off that outlet. If she has a 110v, 20 amp outlet, you can pick up 140-160 miles of rated range during that time, enough to possibly not charge at Woodbridge at all. At my parent's house in the D.C area, I use their dryer outlet (10-30 plug) to pick up enough range overnight that I don't need to Supercharge at all if I don't drive around town a whole bunch. When I'm up there though, I might drive another 30-75 miles so I usually do need to spend about 15-30 minutes at Woodbridge either inbound or outbound.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Well, back on Supercharging... you don't want to Supercharger at Montgomery Mall if you can help it anyways.

From Richmond, the one I use most often is the Woodbridge Supercharger. I wish it was closer to I-95, but oh, well. It's 75 miles from the Glen Allen Supercharger, so if you are coming from somewhere else in northern Richmond, it's really no more than 85 miles. To Frederick, the jump is then another 65-75 miles depending on where you go in Frederick. The entire one way trip is probably around 140-160 miles which is easily doable in a single jump in the very cold temps in a Model X 90D, even at 90% charge as long as your speeds are reasonable (ie not over 80 mph, and not a lot of bursting up and down in speed). The Woodbridge Supercharger is about half way through the journey, so it is possible to charge to 90% at Woodbridge, drive to Frederick, and then come back to Woodbridge to charge for the journey home. Ideally, you should charge at your sister's house, even if it is 110v @ 8 amps to pick up 20-30 miles or so of range in 10 hours overnight or at least negate vampire drain in the very, very cold winter nights. If you drive up on a Friday night, stay through to Sunday mid-day, then you can pick up 75-90 miles of range off that outlet. If she has a 110v, 20 amp outlet, you can pick up 140-160 miles of rated range during that time, enough to possibly not charge at Woodbridge at all. At my parent's house in the D.C area, I use their dryer outlet (10-30 plug) to pick up enough range overnight that I don't need to Supercharge at all if I don't drive around town a whole bunch. When I'm up there though, I might drive another 30-75 miles so I usually do need to spend about 15-30 minutes at Woodbridge either inbound or outbound.
Thx,
That's great info.. I did not even think about the Woodbridge charger. I was thinking we could go north to Hagerstown mall and do lunch and charge there. Unfortunately it is not possible to charge at my sisters townhouse unless I want to guard the cable all night. :eek: