Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually a lot harder than you think. There were tens of pages of discussion about how to properly do it to account for all situations, and you either miss a lot of people who abuse the system or you nail a lot of people who are legitimately using the SpC as designed.

If Tesla knows this is happening with a (few) Uber folks, seems easy. Lock them out of using the supercharger. Problem solved.

Want a warning system? Fine. Email the people, tell them we know you're using the supercharger for Uber use. Stop it (Back to normal usage) or we're turning the supercharger off for you.

If Tesla knows this is happening with a (few) Uber folks, seems easy. Lock them out of using the supercharger. Problem solved.

Want a warning system? Fine. Email the people, tell them we know you're using the supercharger for Uber use. Stop it (Back to normal usage) or we're turning the supercharger off for you.

Doing to it a few known Uber users is easy, I agree.

Doing the rest of what you said is not likely to happen, Tesla would possibly get sued and likely get a lot of bad PR. The Model S has "Supercharging is free for the life of Model S", sure it's not "free unlimited unrestricted supercharging", but that wont stop the bad press as it wasn't sold as having any restrictions on the supercharging.

Doing to it a few known Uber users is easy, I agree.

Doing the rest of what you said is not likely to happen, Tesla would possibly get sued and likely get a lot of bad PR. The Model S has "Supercharging is free for the life of Model S", sure it's not "free unlimited unrestricted supercharging", but that wont stop the bad press as it wasn't sold as having any restrictions on the supercharging.
Agreed. It's more sensible to do this on a case-by-case basis. I enjoy being a brand ambassador; at this point, I've driven about 10,000 people, most of whom were previously unfamiliar with Tesla.
mikeash said:
Just curious, where are you finding CHAdeMO chargers for your Uber driving? How much does it cost you (if any)?

You can see the locations on Plugshare. I have an NRG eVgo membership. It costs me $9 for 200 miles of rated range, which is comparable to retail electricity rates.
EdA said:
The thing that gets me with Uber is what does it do to your car insurance rates? But now I'm straying off topic...

Don't tell your insurer. ;)

Agreed. It's more sensible to do this on a case-by-case basis. I enjoy being a brand ambassador; at this point, I've driven about 10,000 people, most of whom were previously unfamiliar with Tesla.

You can see the locations on Plugshare. I have an NRG eVgo membership. It costs me $9 for 200 miles of rated range, which is comparable to retail electricity rates.

Don't tell your insurer. ;)

That's what I was afraid of. A relative was living with me and driving one of my cars and wanted to become a driver.
I nixed that while they were on my policy...

"I'll use the free electricity Tesla is providing to owners to subsidize my business expenses!"
Great.
Stop it (Back to normal usage) or we're turning the supercharger off for you.

Hey, Bjørn Nyland has quite the following. Tesla is even giving him an X for his efforts. They obviously don't mind profit being made from Supercharged mileage.

The only difference between Bjørn's delivering "things" for pay with his own Tesla and Uber partners delivering "people" for pay with their own Tesla, is that Uber passengers are getting instant brand awareness, get to feel the ride, and get to ask questions of a real live Tesla owner. It's a HUGE demand driver.

Last edited:
Uber passengers are getting instant brand awareness, get to feel the ride, and get to ask questions of a real live Tesla owner. It's a HUGE demand driver.

well... maybe 2 out of 3 aint so bad: for LTS 1 & 2, they are hired drivers that the owner pays to do Uber rides. How many times have you been asked "where do you charge?" and you get to say "just like your iPhone, plug it in at night and have a full charge for the next day" - in this case, the answer will be "I have to take a 40-75 minute nap in Bethesda mall in the wee hours of the night or morning to recharge the car EVERY DAY... definitely *not* helpful, imho.

well... maybe 2 out of 3 aint so bad: for LTS 1 & 2, they are hired drivers that the owner pays to do Uber rides. How many times have you been asked "where do you charge?" and you get to say "just like your iPhone, plug it in at night and have a full charge for the next day" - in this case, the answer will be "I have to take a 40-75 minute nap in Bethesda mall in the wee hours of the night or morning to recharge the car EVERY DAY... definitely *not* helpful, imho.
Also, hired drivers lack the passion or knowledge about the brand, while clogging up the Bethesda SC.

There wouldn't be an issue with this if the station had 10 stalls. :)

well... maybe 2 out of 3 aint so bad: for LTS 1 & 2, they are hired drivers that the owner pays to do Uber rides.

Well, that defines something more like a "Fleet."
I would say that Fleets need their own charging infrastructure - battery swap being the quickest way to get taxis, police cars back on the road. I had never before heard of hired drivers operating under the Uber framework.

I had my first experience with the Bethesda SC yesterday. I drove down from the Philly suburbs for a meeting in DC (stopped in Newark DE on the way down for a top off) and needed to use this SC to get home. I was very concerned from what I read, especially given it was a Saturday during holiday shopping season. I found gridlock traffic throughout the parking complex and after I found the SC stalls (2) I was relieved to find that one was open. The other was coincidentally occupied by a white 85 from PA. I needed about 90 miles of charge and pulled into the very tight stall and hooked up. I went into the mall and spent 20 min or so talking Tesla's with Brendan in the T store in the mall. Very knowledgable young man and he informed me that the situation in Bethesda is indeed "temporary" although of course no timetable on new SCs in the area. He also informed me (probably already reported on this string) that the SCs in there are tied to the mall's electric grid, not a separate source like the other SCs. Thus, when there is power drain in the mall (I am assuming hot days when air conditioning is cranking) then the charge is slow. At that I looked at my Remote S app and saw that I was already charged to 190 range. I guess in the winter the power is much stronger and the wait times much less. When I came out the other PA Model S was still in the stall and I'm hoping they left came back soon to let others charge. That is the main problem there of course...people pull in and charge and then leave there car there until they are done shopping, not just finished charging. All in all it worked out but I'd only use that spot to charge in a pinch. I feel for you all who need that charge on your regular travels.

I was informed a few weeks ago, by a Tesla advisor in The Bethesda Mall store, that the temporary stalls at The Montgonery Mall location will be replaced with more supercharger stations soon. He believed the location would be within a few miles of the.

Anyone know if Bethesda will get a new super charger location??

That's probably referencing the Laurel MD site that's been permitted but construction hasn't started yet.
Happy to be wrong on that if it means ANOTHER supercharger site yet undiscovered :)

Actually, this is referencing the two tight supercharger stalls in Bethesda at Motgonery/Westfields Mall. Those two stalls are know for extremely slow charge as they run off Mall power, so they are not true super chargers. Most MS cars need to sit for about an hour to be almost fully charged. Not only that but two spaces in a mall, just outside of DC means that there is generally a line of cars waiting to get charged.
The new Laurel SC will be complete by July 1.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Actually, this is referencing the two tight supercharger stalls in Bethesda at Motgonery/Westfields Mall. Those two stalls are know for extremely slow charge as they run off Mall power, so they are not true super chargers. Most MS cars need to sit for about an hour to be almost fully charged. Not only that but two spaces in a mall, just outside of DC means that there is generally a line of cars waiting to get charged.
The new Laurel SC will be complete by July 1.

Hmmm.. I just used this site the other day, and my car was at ~70 miles of range at start, so while it wasn't going to draw full power, it didn't seem that the supercharger was de-rated in any way at that level.

Does it not deliver a full 120KW (or 135) max power for cars near 0% SOC?