Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Billings, MT - N. Frontage Rd. (LIVE 23 Aug 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to Marco sharing the Town Pump/Tesla agreement locations and @PLUS EV sharing them here, have been able to do some digging. Permit has been issued for 12 Prefab V3 (3 PSU) at the Pilot at 2711 N Frontage Road. They will be directly north of the northern most point of the building. Submitted 2/13, approved 2/15 and issued 2/17. Good work Billings!

I haven’t seen many plan drawings for PSU sites but this is the first I’ve noticed with the alternate stalls (V4) drawn as part of the PSU with full specs. Based on nomenclature, Tesla is on 3rd generation of PSU.

1680066999127.png

1680067080762.png

1680067521596.png

Billings - N Frontage Rd, MT

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Town Pump
Along Primary Interstates: I-90
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-87, US-212
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: None

I-90

To: Sheridan, WY (v2) - 123.8 miles
Diversion: 1.9 miles
To: Gillette, WY (v2) - 225.7 miles

US-87

To: Great Falls, MT - 235.2 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: End (US-2 Havre, MT) - 342.2 miles

US-212

To: Watertown, SD - 619.9 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
From: Start (Yellowstone National Park, WY) - 134.2 miles
To: End (US-169 Eden Prairie, MN) - 815.4 miles

Pathetic Splitter! On I-90 Billings - N Frontage Rd, MT splits 136.2 miles, 13.1 miles from Billings, MT, 123.8 miles to Sheridan, WY.
It's currently the 12th largest Interstate gap.

Not only that, but it also helps reduce I-90/I-94 transition gap, being 139.3 miles to Miles City, MT, where Billings, MT is 151.7 miles.

It is also on US-87 and US-212.

Any Tesla equipment on site? With these being PSUs there would only be a switchgear cabinet.
IMG_2769.JPG

It's a very strange install for sure. Blackstone has prepped the site for the PSUs but doesn't have any equipment on site. I don't know that I've seen many V3 sites like this. Get's the theories in my brain going that this site could be waiting on Buffalo, NY to deliver the new V4 PSU...

View attachment 937340

It's a very strange install for sure. Blackstone has prepped the site for the PSUs but doesn't have any equipment on site. I don't know that I've seen many V3 sites like this. Get's the theories in my brain going that this site could be waiting on Buffalo, NY to deliver the new V4 PSU...
This is what they have been doing for PSU. Look at posts 48 and 60 in this thread. They do the trenching for conduit and place the pad(s) for the switchgear and transformers then drop the PSUs on top. In the second picture I referenced of that thread, they have the PSUs on site but not placed yet. I doubt the first US V4 site will be in the middle of nowhere NV. Look for it to be around the Supercharger factory in NY, or maybe CA. And we will see a standalone V4 site before we see V4 PSUs.

This is what they have been doing for PSU. Look at posts 48 and 60 in this thread. They do the trenching for conduit and place the pad(s) for the switchgear and transformers then drop the PSUs on top. In the second picture I referenced of that thread, they have the PSUs on site but not placed yet. I doubt the first US V4 site will be in the middle of nowhere NV. Look for it to be around the Supercharger factory in NY, or maybe CA. And we will see a standalone V4 site before we see V4 PSUs.
Agreed, normally the PSU is on site and then craned into position after the trenching is completed, this is how they've been done since the beginning of PSU use. What I am saying is weird is there IS no switchgear or PSU on site currently. They have the pad ready but the PSU is nowhere to be found. So either the PSU and switchgear are late, or they're waiting on *something* to arrive. Does that mean V4 confirmed? Absolutely not, but it is something outside of the normal order of things.

Agreed, normally the PSU is on site and then craned into position after the trenching is completed, this is how they've been done since the beginning of PSU use. What I am saying is weird is there IS no switchgear or PSU on site currently. They have the pad ready but the PSU is nowhere to be found. So either the PSU and switchgear are late, or they're waiting on *something* to arrive. Does that mean V4 confirmed? Absolutely not, but it is something outside of the normal order of things.
A couple of the recent northwest sites appear to have had all the dirt work complete and then everything gets craned directly from the truck to its final resting place. Makes way more sense to only need a crane for a couple hours than one day to unload and another to put in place. They may not even send them from NY until the site is confirmed to be ready.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200