Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, Slim, go back to page 6 of this thread and read from there to catch up.

This thread is tracking progress on the first/only supercharging location in Birmingham. Up to page 6 (Oct 4th) it was all conjecture (and whining). Since then it's been anticipation, as the construction permit was spotted.

Good gosh, my fault. :(

I didn't go back that far in the thread BUT... I'm thrilled that a SpC will be coming to "The Ham". I live in the Nashville area and my sister's family lives in Pelham so now I won't have any concerns when going to visit them in the near future!

The location they chose is actually as close to logistically perfect as you can get for Birmingham. It's very convenient from I-65, I-20, I-59 and it's a straight shot down 280 to the Auburn supercharger. It's also *just* enough out of the way to that we shouldn't have people hogging it doing daily local charging.

Tuesday? Today is Friday ...Tuesday is in 4 days ..... I .. CAN'T...WAIT... I might have to drive down there this weekend (its only 230 miles each way).

You are new to this? Once the pedestals, transformers, and Supercharger cabinets are installed it can be several more weeks before everything is fully inspected, tested, and finally open to the public.

Don't hold your breath expecting Birmingham to be open before Thanksgiving. Be thankful if open before Christmas.

You are new to this? Once the pedestals, transformers, and Supercharger cabinets are installed it can be several more weeks before everything is fully inspected, tested, and finally open to the public.

Don't hold your breath expecting Birmingham to be open before Thanksgiving. Be thankful if open before Christmas.
Nope. Not new. I was contemplating driving there just to confirm if the construction is in fact a Supercharger, not because I need or want to use the Supercharger.

Pictures of construction as of 10/30/16

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: GloverCom
Ahh, thank you. But, where is the electrical equipment? Did they only run the curbside conduit? If so, I'm not sure we can definitely say this is the Supercharge install.

And where precisely is this? I've never been there, but studying the maps looks like the interstate sort of wraps around the south side of the sports hall of fame, BJCC, 2 hotels, and then a building of restaurants on the eastern edge. Is this on the south side of the eastern most of those buildings?

Last edited:
The electrical transformer conduit is located 20' behind where i am facing the charging space conduits. No equipment has been installed just conduit. Located in parking lot of several local restaurants : https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en-...91b9c0797ce47:0x6ae1e86b9b38a36e&gmm=CgIgAQ==
Mugshots Grill and Bar on the corner of building on the right on attached picture. Great location very accessible to interstate system and downtown.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: JPWhite and CSFTN
supercharge.info shows the precise location of where the photos were taken. It does indeed look peculiar for a supercharger installation, but with conduit coming up in the appropriate corner of 8 putative back-in stalls, it's hard to imagine what else it could be.
Supercharge.info gets its information from here, and those of us that email to update them. Like me. ;) And a few other sources, but mostly from here.

PS just reviewing; my post looks like maybe I was being critical of you. I am not. I agree: looks somewhat peculiar, but hard to imagine it's anything other than a Supercharger location. I'd love to see something unique to a Supercharger; the pad for the Supercharges themselves and the switching cabinets would be a good next step.

Last edited: