Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am making the drive from LA to Mammoth today in my new MSLR. How has this site been? This thread is so inactive that I have no clue as to Bishop’s usage/crowdedness.

ABRP keeps on pushing me to charge at LP. I was really hoping to make it to here. I guess I could just see what happens as I enter LP. If I have about 80 RM left, I should be safely be able to make Bishop. 54 actual miles between the two.

Remember, cold weather can affect it. When I take long road trips, I generally make sure that the next charging stop shows that I have 20% battery left, unless, there is another supercharger in between.
You will have a good idea when you get to Lone Pine, and punch it into the NAV in the car, and see what it says.

Reactions: JeffnReno
If you make it to Lone Pine, you can visit the western movie museum (highly recommended) while SCing.
Absolutely. I’ve been there a few times actually. Once, they were having a party and auction for the Young Farmers of America. I bid on a few items and even won.

BTW, I ended up charging in Mojave for 10 minutes, because i had to make a market run and i got the last spot there. Even after, the Nav still refused to route me through Bishop, instead pushing me toward Inyokern. I had to instead navigate directly to Bishop, which gave me a target arrival of 22%. This makes no sense, as I would have arrived at Inyokern at a high SOC

Reactions: JeffnReno and Zorg
Absolutely. I’ve been there a few times actually. Once, they were having a party and auction for the Young Farmers of America. I bid on a few items and even won.

BTW, I ended up charging in Mojave for 10 minutes, because i had to make a market run and i got the last spot there. Even after, the Nav still refused to route me through Bishop, instead pushing me toward Inyokern. I had to instead navigate directly to Bishop, which gave me a target arrival of 22%. This makes no sense, as I would have arrived at Inyokern at a high SOC
Was Bishop fairly full of people charging-maybe?

Was Bishop fairly full of people charging-maybe?
Yes, it was. Then LP was full, then Mojave. The problem I am having is that the Nav app is not showing choices anymore. I used to be able to see all the surrounding chargers. Now, I have to trick the app by navigating to different Superchargers, just to see their status. Or, I ask yo Nav to “supercharger “ but it won’t show me all of them, especially of there is a wait. The crowdedness of Bishop doesn’t mean much if I am 3 hours away. Today’s trip was extremely frustrating, and totally unnecessary. Route me the best way it thinks, but stop hiding the data on the others.

Yes, it was. Then LP was full, then Mojave. The problem I am having is that the Nav app is not showing choices anymore. I used to be able to see all the surrounding chargers. Now, I have to trick the app by navigating to different Superchargers, just to see their status. Or, I ask yo Nav to “supercharger “ but it won’t show me all of them, especially of there is a wait. The crowdedness of Bishop doesn’t mean much if I am 3 hours away. Today’s trip was extremely frustrating, and totally unnecessary. Route me the best way it thinks, but stop hiding the data on the others.
Tap the navigation search bar then tap charging (on the right) and it will bring up all superchargers. I had a similar frustration but answer posted in another thread.

I actually was routed to Lone Pine on my way south and when I arrived in Bishop the Nav re-routed me to the Bishop SC. It was fine and I wanted to try it anyway but could have made it to Lone Pine with plenty to spare. Now that the software has been updated, I'll be curious to see which it chooses for me but either is fine as long as I can continue on my 12-hour drive without much delay.

Yes, the Nav seems hyper focused on managing congestion, but at a price. It actually suggested I make my first stop , Palmdale, when I would have arrived with 79%!! So, instead, I told the Nav I was just going to Lone Pine. It then let me go without stopping.

Right across the street (and a little to the south) from the Bishop superchargers there's a small Mexican market that also does prepared foods which are quite good, including really decent vegan options.
We went in there to use the restroom and I usually like to buy something when doing that so I am a customer. Bought a small pre-packaged pork crackling and chocolate wafers. Was a bit surprised that it came to $14 but I didn't complain. Probably won't be back there and others may find that price reasonable but seemed high to us. People were friendly and the place seemed clean.

I stopped by Bishop a few weeks ago. The AP wanted to route me through Lone Pine too.

The site itself is not in such a nice area, but do walk over to the Great Basin Bakery which is right around the corner. They are really good!
I'm surprised by the 'not a nice area'. It's very peaceful, open, clean, one moment walk from main st (395)...and the police dept. is right at the corner. Not a nasty, noisy, urban police station, no, what you see are a few rural patrol cars outside. Feels nice to me.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by the 'not a nice area'. It's very peaceful, open, clean, one moment walk from main st (395)...and the police dept. is right at the corner. Not a nasty, noisy, urban police station, no, what you see are a few rural patrol cars outside. Feels nice to me.
The area is dark and lonely at night but it’s a little bit of a stretch to think it’s seedy or a bad area or any other undesirable description. It seems relatively safe and clean to me.

I like the location. I usually walk over to Mountain Rambler for a bite. Problem (not really a problem) is the V3 is too fast and I find myself running back to the car to avoid idle fees. I also never see this supercharger full but then again I am travelling at off hours quite often.

As for the routing, I'm always playing with the destinations as I drive, the auto routing has been fine but I can optimize better if I manually route to the supercharger I actually want to go to.

Reactions: JeffnReno and IdaX
I like the location. I usually walk over to Mountain Rambler for a bite. Problem (not really a problem) is the V3 is too fast and I find myself running back to the car to avoid idle fees. I also never see this supercharger full but then again I am travelling at off hours quite often.

As for the routing, I'm always playing with the destinations as I drive, the auto routing has been fine but I can optimize better if I manually route to the supercharger I actually want to go to.
Bishop was listed as full several times on my drive up on Sunday, Jan 3.

The routing for me was just absolutely stupid. Asking me to charge at Palmdale when I would have arrived with 80%, and enough to easily make Bishop, was ridiculous. Now that I know how to explore the charger status from the Nav menu, I had a much easier drive home. Well, that, plus I was able to drive home from Mammoth to West LA without having to stop once (except at Copper Kettle, always a mandatory stop) and still had 62 RM left.

It seems odd that I'm the first to notice, but I saw a pin for a "coming soon" for another Bishop station on the Super charger Map. But I can't find another thread here nor anything on SuperCharger.info. The pin said coming soon Q2 2023 for Bishop.

Anyone know more?

It seems odd that I'm the first to notice, but I saw a pin for a "coming soon" for another Bishop station on the Super charger Map. But I can't find another thread here nor anything on SuperCharger.info. The pin said coming soon Q2 2023 for Bishop.

Anyone know more?

Some pins have been saying coming soon for 5+ years
I just reviewed the same area on their website a few weeks ago, and no such pin existed at that time. Is Bishop a heavily used station? Every time that I have been there, I was the only one charging. Admittedly, I am often there at odd hours.