Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed on AirNow.gov that the smoke From the creek fire that started on the west side of the High Sierra above Fresno has now driven the air quality index for PM 10 to over 600 in Bishop. This is truly Hazardous for everyone. Hopefully the construction crew on this project is pausing work until the air gets better.
It's horrible. Here is a screen shot from the top of Mammoth as of this moment:

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 2.25.17 PM.jpg

Slowly, the chargers are being installed. As a local, I’m not sure why this location was chosen. I think there are better places with more amenities for travelers.
Tesla has been trying to get a Bishop location for years without success. I guess this is what they ended up with. No matter. The location is just fine. Lots of food choices and seconds off the 395.

Tesla has been trying to get a Bishop location for years without success. I guess this is what they ended up with. No matter. The location is just fine. Lots of food choices and seconds off the 395.

Yea. The "better" locations can get very busy. It's not like the Schat's Bakery parking lot - of anywhere within two blocks of it - was an option!

Visited today, good progress.
You can see the new HV Pole on the west end missing the wires.
View attachment 593210 View attachment 593211 View attachment 593212

Oops, uploads are stuck, I’m in the middle of nowhere.
Yep. Anywhere 5 minutes north of south of Bishop actually is the middle of nowhere! Years ago, getting a cell signal along the 395 was very difficult. It is certainly much better now, though plenty of dead spots still to be found

Reactions: JeffnReno
Let’s see if I can add a few more. Nice free WiFi at Lone Pine SPC.

I’m not sure what’s up with the two stations by the curb with the strange curb cuts.

View attachment 593468View attachment 593469View attachment 593470View attachment 593471View attachment 593472

ADA access from the sidewalk. Here is the drawing and plan. Supercharger - Bishop, CA (under construction Aug 2020, 12 stalls)

Thanks for the updates, looks like I will miss charging there in the next 10 days I’ll be in the area for Fall colors.

Yes, great to see the transformer installed. Often the utility delays installing the transformer until everything else is done.
It appears most of Trenching and conduit has been installed, waiting for the wiring Cables to be pulled.
12 V3 stalls requires 3 charger cabinets, 4 V3 per charger. One of the photos seems to show 2 charger cabinets along with the
Transformer. Is the third Charger cabinet also installed ? I was planning to come through Bishop traveling south this Friday,
Oct 2, but the smoke level still looks too high. I am fortunate enough to have bio defense mode on my MS, I am still worried about the smoke exposure even inside a motel.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Yes, great to see the transformer installed. Often the utility delays installing the transformer until everything else is done.
It appears most of Trenching and conduit has been installed, waiting for the wiring Cables to be pulled.
12 V3 stalls requires 3 charger cabinets, 4 V3 per charger. One of the photos seems to show 2 charger cabinets along with the
Transformer. Is the third Charger cabinet also installed ? I was planning to come through Bishop traveling south this Friday,
Oct 2, but the smoke level still looks too high. I am fortunate enough to have bio defense mode on my MS, I am still worried about the smoke exposure even inside a motel.

The two cabinets shown on the pad aren't charger cabinets, but instead appear to be generic utility-feed-related equipment. Looks like switchgear on the left and the utility transformer on the right (those are usually painted green, but with the large heatsink that's probably what it is). The actual Supercharger cabinets will go in the three empty spaces in front. The V3 units are square with a mesh section at the top for ventilation, as shown in the last photo in this post (which also shows what an empty spot awaiting one looks like, to the right of the installed cabinets): Supercharger - Chula Vista, CA (LIVE 4 Aug 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

OK, Speight, thanks.
I finally made it here. Air is much better, Fire smoke pretty much gone, at least right now, in morning.
Long trenches, first from new HV utility pole to transformer, then from chargers to stalls around corner of
Building. I see no progress since last photos. Utility pole is just across the street from the town substation.
The overhead HV cable to make the connection to the substation is hanging from the pole.
Area A little sketchy but only a block from police Station.
Can’t get my photo to load.

Is there any charging at Convict Lake Resort? Will be staying there maybe for 3 nights in November. Otherwise Lone Pine will have to do, or morning coffee in Mammoth. Even a 120v plug on the outside of our cabin would totally work.

RT

Last edited:
Is there any charging at Convict Lake Resort? Will be staying there maybe for 3 nights in November. Otherwise Lone Pine will have to do, or morning coffee in Mammoth. Even a 120v plug on the outside of our cabin would totally work.

RT
Well, a simple call to them would answer your question. I do caution you about using a 120v. Very slow, especially if it's cold outside. It could be as low as 2 MPH, or if really cold, less.