Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bristol, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you will not make it unless you draft (which is definitely the case in my X . . . and I'm not troll as you can see from the picture), you cannot avoid it. Also, when it comes to driving on the freeways (e.g., 81, 95, etc . . . ) I'm not convinced that any particular position will materially increase the chance of stone chips. For example, you pass so many cars, and so many cars pass you, that the chances of getting a stone chip when you are 4 cars behind is likely the same as you would being 1 car length behind. In fact, being closer might even be a better shield! Also, not too many stones on the interstate. Seems like fate when you get one.

Yes, there is always risk. As I think we both agree, if you have to draft (and I frequently do just to make it to the next stop), then there really is no choice. And I was counting, even at 1 car length, the Tesla is 2 seconds behind the leading vehicle. When I was growing up, I was taught that this was the safe distance, and I know I can stop faster than the Semi! At the 2 or 3 setting, no question but that there is sufficient space. In fact, most people on 95 follow closer than that as a matter of practice. My point was that while "drafting" does make a big difference, the gains are not too much higher from the 1 car length setting to the 3 car length setting, although 2 seems to be the right risk/benefit balance (again of course this assumes you have no choice for range purposes . . . ).

Not wanting to hijack this thread but safety is not just about stopping faster than the semi can in an emergency. What if there is an object in the road that the truck can pass over easily but will cause major damage to you car? If you follow too closely, you will not see it soon enough to swerve. You may not have had this experience but it is one of the hazards of drafting a large truck (even 2-3 car lengths back). Semis also have retreaded tires which are prone to delaminate unexpectedly (all that tire debris on the side of a highway) and can cause worse damage than a stone chip to your nice Model X glass. Again, I have drafted at times but have found it is usually safer (and more effective) to stretch range by slowing down/finding a slower non-80mph route.

Stopped here twice this week. This is a nice Supercharger stop mainly due to the number of shopping/dining options available compared to Wytheville and Lexington VA. There is also good walkability with plenty of sidewalks and crosswalks so getting to dining is much safer than at many other locations. One thing to be aware of is if you cross on foot at the intersection of Pinnacle Parkway and Stevens Trail (to get to Steak and Shake, Zaxby's, McDonalds), be careful. It appears the crosswalk signal gives a walk sign at the same time turning traffic is given a protected turn green arrow. (image below is from google maps).
pinacle light.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Thinkje
Hey y'all, it appears that a new Chargepoint site is being built in the same parking lot as this Tesla SC site. What super interesting about this CP site is that it appears to be using CP's newest generation Express Plus hardware, which is capable of up to 250 kW. If anyone is driving I-81 and passing through Bristol, could you get some photos of the construction for us? If you use Plugshare, please upload / checkin there. The Pinnacle - Boot Barn | PlugShare

Site report, all good. I think that is my photo and old red Model 3 in the first in-car photo. I either uploaded it to Google Maps or Plugshare.

PXL_20240214_172159527.jpg
PXL_20240214_172215351.jpg
PXL_20240214_171132348.jpg

Hey y'all, it appears that a new Chargepoint site is being built in the same parking lot as this Tesla SC site. What super interesting about this CP site is that it appears to be using CP's newest generation Express Plus hardware, which is capable of up to 250 kW. If anyone is driving I-81 and passing through Bristol, could you get some photos of the construction for us? If you use Plugshare, please upload / checkin there. The Pinnacle - Boot Barn | PlugShare
Here you go. I didn't actually charge on them. Looks like Plugshare is accurate as to price and charging speeds possible.
PXL_20240214_172253045.jpg
PXL_20240214_172418139.jpg

Thanks for the Chargepoint photos! That request of mine was from over a year ago, and since then A) the site turned out to be regular ole CPE250 hardware (62.5 - 125 kW depending) not the high-power Express Plus hardware, and B) lots of people have been by and documented it. But if you stop by any Bucee's on your roadtrip, please hunt for Mercedes-Benz construction activity. Thanks again.

Reactions: PStewart