Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Centralia, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we'll see <5 swapping centers. One or two in California and one or two in the NY - DC corridor. Just to prove they can be done. I don't think they'll get enough traffic to warrant any further expansion.

Of course, this is all IMHO and I was very skeptical that this last announcement had anything to do with swapping until the few days before when the cat was pretty much out of the bag.

Anyway, super awesome to see how quickly they're getting this one up! Get those guys some pizza brianman!

Odenator - Super cool that you were able to give them the lowdown on what they're actually building these for. I can imagine the goofy grins! ;)

How about if Tesla introduces Air/Aluminum or another very high density battery chemistry. They could then rent these very high cost batteries that might hold 600 - 800 miles per charge to those of us driving across country. Swap our Li-Ion for an Air/Aluminum then charge for what we used and put our Li-Ion back at the end of the long distance trip.

How about if Tesla introduces Air/Aluminum or another very high density battery chemistry. They could then rent these very high cost batteries that might hold 600 - 800 miles per charge to those of us driving across country. Swap our Li-Ion for an Air/Aluminum then charge for what we used and put our Li-Ion back at the end of the long distance trip.

Jack, that is a very exciting idea. The possibility of a 600-800 miles battery blows my mind. I have no battery knowledge, where is the technology at?

From what I've learned about Al-Air batteries they aren't easily recharged. You have to somehoew reconstitute the aluminum as it is degraded in the process of discharging the battery. You'd have to swap them routinely if you're driving more than the mileage they provide.

There was quite a bit of folks on the official Tesla forums speculating that the swap demo was going to be an easily swappable al-air frunk battery for range extension.

Cheers!

But regardless of the battery chemistry, I am certain that we will see significant power density improvements in the not too distant future. The fact that existing Teslas have the ability to swap batteries means that extended range is a real possibility. A 500 mile cruising range would make the model S the ultimate road trip machine. Not to mention knocking down one of the last barriers to entry for the broad population.

I am stopped here at the moment! It's looking much cleaner than the last photos.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372443184.707954.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372443209.974330.jpg

That's Ryuu, my P85, on the left of the frame, patiently waiting for her first Supercharge. :)

But regardless of the battery chemistry, I am certain that we will see significant power density improvements in the not too distant future. The fact that existing Teslas have the ability to swap batteries means that extended range is a real possibility. A 500 mile cruising range would make the model S the ultimate road trip machine. Not to mention knocking down one of the last barriers to entry for the broad population.
No argument here! I'm really hoping that with the X they announce a higher capacity battery so when I have bikes and skis on the roof or a hitch mount I don't have to worry about the range loss. ;)

The future is certainly exciting. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

AndyM - Thanks for sharing the photos! Concrete poured! Looks like they didn't get those bases perfectly lined up! :tongue:

Super exciting to see them go up so quickly! Although, from the comments by the workers at the Burlington site someone posted yesterday, it sounds like it might still be a while to get the electrons flowing.

Cheers!

Well in 100 years we will all have fusion based energy packs that should only require refueling with anti-matter and liquid helium every 100K miles so shouldn't require Supercharger stations at all I would think...

I was making fun of the fact that they call them 100 year floods even though we have seen it happen with more frequency and increasing severity.
That last one was called a 1000 year flood.

The hills don't hold as much water as they used to and the flood plains are getting filled up.