Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cranberry, PA (NW of Pittsburgh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, Erie is perfect for I-79 and I-90 in both directions. I have even looked to buy land up there to lease to them, but they are much better off just leasing from one of the existing properties, for restaurant proximity. I need that desperately so I can travel north, and the east into upstate NY...it is one of the most pronounced gaps in the 2015 map!

Erie is also what would let me drive to Ohio.

Yeah... still some "California thinking" out there at Tesla HQ... I'll believe that's changed when Erie gets on the "coming eventually" map! From our keyboards to your ears, Tesla!

Interesting... maybe I'm reading too much into the response, but I'm surprised Tesla phrased it that way. It makes it sound like nobody has suggested any of the "obvious" locations (or perhaps those locations are problematic for some reason). I would've expected them to have already gotten specific suggestions, particularly from folks here.

I don't know Erie, nor have I even been through there, but a quick glance at Google Maps shows me there's a ton of restaurants, hotels, and retail, all very close to the 90/79 interchange, at Millcreek Mall, Millcreek Marketplace, and Peach Street Square. Maybe the trick is to send them some very specific suggestions (e.g., just for the sake of argument, "in the parking lot between Eat & Park and Texas Roadhouse" or "between Steak & Shake and Quaker Steak & Lube in front of Walmart"). Has anyone done so? I certainly agree Erie is a critical supercharger location for a number of routes between OH / western PA and Toronto / upstate NY.

I like this idea Paul, I am going to send them some specific suggestions based on our favorite food stops with reasonable parking...besides the ones you mentioned, we often hit Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A (though closed on Sundays), Panera, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Bad news on Cranberry...delayed because the utility crew was unable to get permission from the hotel to power them down on Friday when they installed the transformers. Apparently rescheduled for next Wednesday.

Shark, look for me on PlugShare if you want to top up this weekend in your MS 60, I have an HPWC on a 100A circuit. About 93 miles to Somerset from my house, and just over 100 to Macedonia.

Thanks. I will have to see how the energy usage is to that point. Got <300 wH/ mile (rated range) over the weekend averaging 65 MPH. But with rain in the forecast in OH on Saturday, I might take JakeP up on the offer. Nothing much close to Somerset on Plugshare.

I like this idea Paul, I am going to send them some specific suggestions based on our favorite food stops with reasonable parking...besides the ones you mentioned, we often hit Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A (though closed on Sundays), Panera, etc.

Do you happen to know what the funky little parking lot is between Mandy Lane and Commons Drive in Front of Pet Smart. Looks like a nice central location just off Peach Street.

Oh jrreno, I like that spot. Parking was tight down by the Chipotle and Five Guys, but this is perfect. Just behind the Eat-n-Park and Texas Roadhouse. May have to send this pic to Tesla:

ynaregy8.jpg

Just a note for others in our area. I stopped at a Sheetz today and they have a CHAdeMO charger. It's not active yet though.
zarame6a.jpg

If Sheetz is installing them at a lot of stores we will probably be buying the adapter when it's available. That will dramatically help us in rural PA.

Last edited:
Wish the adapter wasn't hundreds of dollars!

Wish the CHAdeMO adapter wasn't perpetually "coming soon!"

And it's currently listed not as "hundreds", but at an even $1,000. But time is money, and the 50kW CHAdeMO stations surely beat everything but a Supercharger! Considering what the MS cost, an extra grand to maximize its road trip capabilities doesn't seem unreasonable to me. There are already over 300 CHAdeMO stations in the US.